Easing that 2* - 3* transition.

Pwuz_
Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
What if they started offering some PvP events which feature 1* or 2* characters? Wouldn't that give players with a less developed roster a chance for some of those sweet sweet top ranked prizes?

I'm not saying abandon the current events, but perhaps simultaneously running an event with a few 1* & 2* characters featured and powered up. Basically make it so that a powered up team is as powerful as their 3* equivalent.

Comments

• IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2014
    Or maybe events where you can use ONLY 1* characters, or events with only 2*. That would be fair to every one.

Also good for players like me, because I dont think I have used any of my 1* characters in weeks, if not longer. Been a while since I used my 2* ones as well. I mostly use them for a little variety to fill in a 3rd slot when I have 2 - 3* I want use. But a pure 1* tournament would give me chance to use those I never use any more.
  • They've had 1* character only tournaments before and they are actually pretty fun. It has been quite some time since they have done one though.
  • The problem with Lone Star Skirmish and Bad is Good is, that as fun as they were, they were terrible for the company's bottom line.

To me, the addition of the *2 at the end of PvP matches, falling from the sky like manna, was brilliant in design, but flawed in execution. Here's what I would do to ease that:

Scrap the *2 cover at the 600 point threshold, and make it a featured *3 (so for Prodigal Sun, you'd get a Sentry cover at 600)
    Turn the 1100 then into the OTHER TWO colours. TWO covers would make people strive, make the game more competitive, and would possibly make players pay in a bit more for shields, health packs, etc.

Next, I would eliminate the *2 cover at the end of the event, turning it into one of the *3 covers featured. The threshold at which 1 *3 is currently then becomes 2 *3 covers, and Top 10 is then ONE OF EACH *3 covers.

*2 covers are not at all alluring with how easy it is to get *2 covers anymore, although they certainly help the new player crowd. But I daresay that AFAIK, this is a very "end-game" heavy game currently, and D3 NEEDS to also pay attention to their whales and their veterans.
  • Pwuz_
    I agree that 2* rewards feel like a bit of a kick in the pants as it is now. I'd honestly rather have a standard recruit token than a particular 2* cover as my reward.

My recommendation here isn't really something that is intended to placate the veterans, it's more of a way to turn more of those newer players into veterans & for an event or 2 place them on equal footing with those players who have reached the 3* level.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think they've actually done a decent job lately of doing the best they can to "ease" the transition. While it's certainly not easy, the best thing they can do is concentrate rewards on characters so people have a chance to get to that 10+ cover range of being better than a 2*. They've been doing both tournaments (where you can get an extra cover if you can get to 1100, not easy, but doable with shield hopping potentially) and rewards in pairs for the most part, so people can get more of those characters and potentially use those to transition to 3*. Your suggestion of a 1* or 2* tournament isn't a bad one, it puts everyone on mostly equal footing, but without a reward structure in place to support getting people 10+ covers of a given character, a few "newer player friendly" tournaments aren't really going to make much of a difference. Plus they're pretty boring since everyone plays the same teams. You thought current PvP was the same teams over and over? Just wait til you see Lone Star Skirmish.
  • Pwuz_
    I've seen the Lone Star tournament already. The 1st time I was still building up my 1* characters, and by the 2nd time I saw it I had already abandoned all but M.Storm & Iron Man in favor of 2* & 3* characters.