Release Notes 6.1.0

Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2023 in MtGPQ General Discussion

New Mechanics:

Toxic and Phyrexian Toxin

“When this creature deals combat damage to your opponent’s planeswalker, create a number of Phyrexian Toxin tokens equal to this card’s Toxic Value under your opponent’s control.”
(Toxic hint)

Phyrexian Toxin (Colorless)
Support Card (Indestructible)
Token, Can't be destroyed
At the beginning of your turn: If this support has 20 or more reinforcements — You lose all your life.
(Phyrexian Toxin hint)

Toxic is a numerical evergreen exclusive to creature cards. When a creature with Toxic deals combat damage to a player’s planeswalker, a number of Phyrexian Toxin tokens equal to the damaging creature’s Toxic Value are created under that player's control. Those tokens cannot be removed in any way and, at the beginning of their controller’s turn, if they have enough reinforcements, that player loses all their life. Toxic is designed to work as an alternative win condition that does not depend on the players’ life totals. There are a few effects that can create Phyrexian Toxin tokens under a player’s control besides Toxic.

Oil Counter

“When this card gains Oil Counter, the value is added to its current value. If this card’s Oil Counter would be reduced to 0 — Instead: This card loses Oil Counter
(Oil Counter hint)

Found both in creature and support cards, Oil Counter is a numerical evergreen. While it does not have any effect by itself, the evergreen value has various purposes. It can act as a fuel to many cards’ abilities (that diminishes as it is used) or a value for various effects and also allows for interactions among cards and other mechanics of the set. Cards on the set do not have this as an inherent evergreen but may have effects that grant Oil Counter to itself or other cards. Overall, the more Oil Counter Value a card can get, the better.

Escalate

“When you Escalate, your cards with Oil Counter gain Oil Counter 1 and an opposing support named Phyrexian Toxin is reinforced."
(Escalate hint)

Escalate is a hinted effect that can be triggered in many ways by all kinds of cards (creatures, spells and supports). Once triggered, the player's cards with Oil Counter will increase their Oil Counter value by 1 and, if the player’s opponent has a Phyrexian Toxin support, that support is reinforced. This mechanic is essentially always paired with the Proliferate Mechanic. While Proliferate affects the players’ Buffs, Vanguard and Saga cards and Loyalty, Escalate will work with this set's new mechanics in a similar fashion.

For Mirrodin!

“When this support enters the board, create a Red Rebel token."
(For Mirrodin hint)

For Mirrodin! is a simple hinted effect that triggers when certain equipment support cards enter the board. It creates a Rebel token, a 2/2 red Rebel creature with Bravery. For Mirrodin! adds utility to equipment cards and enables more support focused strategies.

New Planeswalkers

Koth, Fire of Resistance

Born on the plane of Mirrodin, the planeswalker Koth commands the power of the earth and magma. He witnessed his native plane being forcibly transformed into New Phyrexia and did all he could to keep the fire of the Mirran Resistance up against overwhelming odds. As Phyrexia prepares to expand massively and the war is about to reach its climax, Koth feels this might be the right moment to strike and destroy his people’s oppressors for good

Tokens
Mirran Mountain

(Red) Support Card (4) Token, Level, Can't Be Reinforced. This support can't be reinforced.

At the beginning of your turn: Destroy X non-Red gems. X is 2 plus the number of Land supports you control. This effect can trigger only once for all cards named Mirran Mountain you control.

When you match 3 or more Red gems: If this support has the Forge Emblem — An opposing Vanguard support loses Y shield. If it can't, deal Y damage to the first opposing creature. If you can't, deal Y damage to your opponent's Planeswalker. Y is equal to this support's Level. This effect can trigger up to 3 time(s) per turn.

Kaito, Dancing Shadow

The cyber ninja Kaito Shizuki planeswalked to New Phyrexia to aid the Gatewatch on their uphill battle against Elesh Norn. He will put his telekinetic and ninja skills to good use as the planeswalkers aim to end New Phyrexia’s multiverse invasion in one swift and dangerous move. This is the kind of risk Kaito is willing to take to keep his friends safe.

Tokens

Drone

(Colorless) Creature Card (2/2) Token, Deathtouch, Berserker

When this creature is dealt combat damage: Your opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life for each 1 damage it was dealt.

When this creature is destroyed or exiled: Your opponent loses X life and you gain X life. X is equal to this creature's power.

Kaya, Intangible Slayer

A skilled duelist and assassin, Kaya's sense of justice led her to help and protect people from many different planes. With the ability to turn herself partially incorporeal, she tries to make sure everyone gets what they truly deserve, even the dead! Finally, Phyrexia’s time for retribution has come and Kaya is ready to settle this score.

Tokens

White Spirit

(White) Creature - Spirit (1/1) Token, Flying

Lukka, Bound to Ruin

Able to form bonds with creatures from across the multiverse, Lukka has a deep resentment with his home plane of Ikoria as the people he wished to protect with an army of monsters rejected him. Fortunately, he was able to bond with a centaur hulk from New Phyrexia. Their connection was so strong they eventually fused, becoming one Compleated entity. Maybe Lukka will show the people of Ikoria they made a huge mistake once all become one.

Tokens
Phyrexian Beast
(Green) Creature Card (3/3) Token, Berserker, Toxic (1)

Enhancing Link

(Red, Green) Support Card (4) Token, Level

At the beginning of your turn: If you have a Creature card in your hand that can gain mana — You may pay 3 life. If you do: The first Creature card in your hand that can gain mana gains X mana. X is equal to 3 plus this card's Level. When this support's gem is matched: The first creature in your hand gets +2/+2."

Nahiri, the Unforgiving

The Lithomancer Nahiri used her powers over stone and metal to keep all she loved safe at any cost. When the threat of New Phyrexia rose, she planeswalked there with the Gatewatch strike team to stop Elesh Norn’s invasion plans. During the fight, she was infected with Phyresis and sacrificed herself to save the other planeswalkers. As she is resurrected and Compleated by the phyrexians, there is a new clarity to her objectives: what if Phyrexia is the best way to protect all she loved?

New Events

• Of Machine and Freedom
  • Event Type: PvP, Coalition
  • No Entrance Fee
  • Deck Restrictions: Standard
  • Rewards: Progression, Rank
  • Number of nodes: 2 nodes, each with a single support that is owned by the player.
  • Initial Charges: 4 | Max Charges: 14
  • Recharge Time: 23.5h
  • Event Duration:46h
  • Recharge Quantity: 3

Changes

• Added a version of Phyrexia: All Will Be One( ONE) to all Revolving Planeswalk events, for details, please check this link.
  • Will have new Initial Charges, Recharge Quantity, and Recharge Time in the following Coalition Events:
  • Of Machine And Freedom (PVP) - Coalition
  • Family Business (PVP) - Coalition
  • The Kamigawa Run (PVP) - Coalition
  • The Harvesttide (PVP) - Coalition

• Before:
      Initial Charges: 2
      Recharge Quantity: 1
      Recharge Time: 8

• Now:
      Initial Charges: 4
      Recharge Quantity: 3
      Recharge Time: 23.5

Fixes

• Fixed the issue where the Planeswalker Tyvar, Jubilant Brawler was missing art.
  • Fixed the issue where cards with adventure type could only be cast as a spell if you replaced some creature (just in cases where the board already had 3 creatures).
  • Fixed the issue where if you cast an adventure card as a spell when replacing another creature, the card returned to the player's hand on both sides of the card.
  • Fixed the issue where the card Maestros Charm was destroying the first three selected cards.
  • Fixed the issue where the card War Ender displayed keys in the description.
  • Fixed the issue where the card Mishra's Madness was not dealing damage to the opposing planeswalker.
  • Fixed the issue with the Planeswalker Teferi, Temporal Pilgrim's second ability level.
  • Fixed the issue where all BRO Events had keys in their titles, descriptions, and loading screens.
  • Fixed the issue where the cards War Ender and Herald of Phyrexia's effects were triggering when they shouldn't.
  • Fixed the issue where the event Revolving Planeswalk: Battle Cry of the Furious displayed an overlapping art for the Bonus Rare Card reward.
  • Fixed the issue where the card Fateful Handoff could be cast without any creature or support on the battlefield.
  • Fixed the issue where the card Sigarda, Champion of Light, was not giving full mana to Human cards.
  • Fixed the issue where it was possible to join a Revolving Planeswalk event without having a Planeswalker for each color.
  • Fixed the issue where the third effect of the card Herald of Phyrexia was not stacking.
  • Fixed the issue where the effects of War Ender and Herald of Phyrexia cards were not permanent.
  • Fixed the issue where all Revolving Planeswalk (BRO) events unlocked the wrong node after winning a battle.
  • Fixed the issue where Torens, Fist of the Angels creates the wrong Token.
  • Fixed the issue where the Journal Quest about opening Standard Packs considers Legacy Packs from Booster crafting.

Card Gallery: https://www.facebook.com/595153053933248/posts/pfbid02ATTadPCvoarZmeCjHvdbmq56UJKKdSTxSbDGe7QgmJ56La3RCBXzmUCcPED8k7tml/?sfnsn=wiwspmo&mibextid=RUbZ1f

Disclaimer: All content posted before release is subject to change.

Revision: We announced in the Pre-Release Notes a change to Booster Crafting: "Added each Legacy set to be selected and crafted in Booster Crafting."
However, due to some technical issues, unfortunately, we will need to postpone this change.
We know you've been looking forward to this change to Booster Crafting, and we'll be working to implement it soon. We apologize for any frustration this may cause, and as always, we appreciate your understanding.

Comments

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    edited March 2023

Hi everyone,
    Just a quick note, as you can see, I haven't added the screenshot of the planeswalker abilities yet. We're still making some final adjustments, but I'll post this as soon as possible.
    I plan to post the details of each planeswalker and the new event between tomorrow and Wednesday, so stay tuned!

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor

so the recharges and max nodes total will also change ??

• naabaldan
    naabaldan Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker

No. 4+3=7. The event ends prior to a second refresh.

• Panneo
    Panneo Posts: 21 Just Dropped In

The set contains so many interesting cards in all rarity grades. This will be one of the most exciting set releases. Thank you very much.

• Machine
    Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor

@naabaldan said:
    No. 4+3=7. The event ends prior to a second refresh.

I think Julie is referring to Family Business, which "only" has 6 matches on top and 6 matches on the bottom for a total of 120 points.

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards

The masterpiece xantcha makes no sense.

Xantcha can’t attack, she only destroys an opponent if Greg has 3 creatures and then she gives control of that creature to Greg.
    And that was the good part, because from now on Xantcha makes me loose 5 or more life whenever I start combat and I loose 10 life whenever someone uses a loyalty ability.

A masterpiece that is perfect for “have less than X life” objectives seems pretty bad. Sure, it is perfect for a creature swap, but since that is rarely targeted (bravery will not change this) it will be a pain to set up.

@Oktagon_Support - please verify the text is correct.

• ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker

@Tremayne said:

Xantcha can’t attack, she only destroys an opponent if Greg has 3 creatures and then she gives control of that creature to Greg.
    And that was the good part, because from now on Xantcha makes me loose 5 or more life whenever I start combat and I loose 10 life whenever someone uses a loyalty ability.

A masterpiece that is perfect for “have less than X life” objectives seems pretty bad. Sure, it is perfect for a creature swap, but since that is rarely targeted (bravery will not change this) it will be a pain to set up.

The "you lose 5 life/10 life, opponent draws a card" portion in my view now is directed at your opponent (and you get to draw the card) since they control Sleeper Agent.

• IPA
    IPA Posts: 14 Just Dropped In

Thank you for updating the standard events with the new charges/timers!

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards

@Tremayne said:

You give Xantcha to the opponent, and that opponent now loses life while you draw cards and gain mana.

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards

@Tremayne said:

Yeah, its a sleeper agent you kill Greg's creature and put this one in its place and now it gives you the advantages and damages your opponent. I think its creative.

• Magic:PQ Support Team

Hey @Julie71,
    The listed events have two nodes. The Initial Charges and Recharges are per node. All players will receive 14 Charges (Battles) in the events.
    In the case of the Family Business event, we are adding 1 additional charge to each node. The total amount of points available is 140.
    Rebeca

• Tremayne

So everyone agrees that the card is bad?

I fail to think your comments mean it is a good card, because it is still rather difficult to set up.

• khurram

I fail to think the comments mean it is a bad card.

It is a good card to troll your opponent. Its probably going to be better in Greg's deck than the player's because of the 3 creatures requirement.

I'd have to test it to have further opinion about it.

• Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler

Xantcha is supposed to take up one opposing creature slot while draining life from Greg (Public Enemy). Greg can't replace his own creatures, so it can potentially break a creature-centered combo. Although many decks now have self-destruction tools (like Casualty spells), especially to deal with Sigarda's Imprisonment and Sleep with the Fishes.
    Xantcha also has Bravery, which means that she's be "wielding" opposing Equipment supports and since she can't attack, they'll become useless.

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards

@Tremayne said:
    So everyone agrees that the card is bad?

I fail to think your comments mean it is a good card, because it is still rather difficult to set up.

It's in the card text that your opponent v gains control of the card after you cast it. So all those bad things happen to your opponent and not you.

• Tremayne

Fair enough. I think Xantcha is an interesting idea, which is suitable for a rare card, because of all the limitations that is inherent in the card.

For a masterpiece I think it is to limited, because it requires me to waste a deck slot and also one of the three creature slots on the battlefield.
    Yes, I know my opponent gets Xantcha, but I still have to have Xantcha ETB before I can utilise her effect and I can only do that if Greg manages to get three creatures on the board. So I wonder, would I not prefer something simpler to play instead? And leaving yet another masterpiece in the library. :o

It strikes me that this is yet another example of Oktagon’s tendency to make more and more complex cards or event supports.
    @gozmaster made a YouTube a few months back, where he complained that the text on a specific card was to small (boomer alert) for him to read. Xantcha is readable, but it is overly complex, if you ask me.

• khurram

There are overcomplicated cards for sure and cards with lots of redundant text. And useless masterpieces too (looking at you defang)

However, i wouldn't say Xantcha fits the bill. Aside from the three creatures limit i think its pretty decent. Even still, you use it as a spell. Keep it disabled in your hand and cast it when its needed. A lot of removal just stays in your hand anyway, without ever being needed. Doesn't make those cards bad or useless.

• Tremayne

@khurram - good point about if being used as a kind of spell. It is great with a little perspective, something these forum were so good at previously.

It remains to be seen if the card has any usages, if Oktagon does not alter it. So far it is not a chase card (for me) :)

• BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2023

The reason why Xantcha is a Masterpiece and not a rare or any other rarity is because is not a card from All Will Be One. Masterpieces are bonus cards from prvious Magic sets that Oktagon adds as extra value. Their rarity belongs to them being a bonus, not because of their actual in game usability.

Xantcha will always go to Greg's side of the board if you play it. You don't need Greg to have 3 creatures in play. The card's text says:
    "When this creature enters the battlefield: If your opponent controls 3 or more creatures not named Xantcha - Destroy the first opposing creature.
    Your opponent gains control of this card."

Since there is not a "then" after destroying the first opposing creature, the part where Greg gains control of Xantcha happens regardless of the first text clause.

So there is really nothing complicated about it and no need for Oktagon to alter it. Just play it and immediately give it to Greg. If they happen to have 3 creatures when you play it, it has the bonus of acting as non-targeted removal. Watch them get hurt each turn and if they activate a loyalty ability you get a half mana card for free. Every new Xantcha that you cast will automatically go into Greg's side of the board increasing the amount of damage they deal to themselves by 5 per Xantcha you cast.

• Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler

I'm actually pretty excited for Xantcha, and there is precedent for this kind of mechanic - see the Tibalt mythic VG, the Tibalt PW, and more recently Sol'Kanar the Tainted from Dominaria United.