Idea: "Environmental zones: the final frontier of PvP?"

Options
2»

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Some of the ideas seem like a hybrid of the original/pre-nerfed Fight For Wakanda pve, Evergreen PvP and Snowball Fight, and I'm a fan of these pvps and pve. We've to wait till next year or late 2023 for new pves to appear. The dev's plan is to retired pves back into rotation before going for new pves, if I didn't remember wrongly.

• Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 701 Critical Contributor
    Options

As long as we’re tossing out pipe dreams, how about guaranteeing a specific character when buying a 10-pack of tokens? Maybe it could be the featured character for that PVP, or a random character from the required nodes in a PVE? 😆

• Alex502
    Alex502 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2023
    Options

Okay, so at the suggestion of Scofie I've come around to this thread to suggest:

A PvP format similar to Civil War, in that players would choose between two sides of a fight, that would have their own boosted lists. These would be organized by affiliations, like "Heroes VS Villains" or "Team Cap VS Team Iron-Man" but could also be as expansive or limited as necessary. "Spider-Verse VS Mutants" or "Non-Humans VS Technologists". Could even combine two affiliations on each team. "Mutants and Inhumans VS Spider-verse and Symbiotes" for example.

Big draw back to avoid though is picking a limited set that really hampers game play, like how, for some awful reason, the Dark Avengers have gotten so much of the game's events dedicated to them.

Anyway, a player would choose the boosted list they wanted to play with, and maybe even earn different rewards? I realize this is doubling the dev work behind the scenes for each PvP, but I could imagine that the frameworks for these kinds of options are available within the kit of the game mechanics as it is already, just needs adapted over, and new boosted lists / reward lists written out that make sense. That's where the work load is unavoidable. To compensate, this kind of event could happen only once a month or something?

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,922 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I would love to see something like this implemented.

Only real issue is what to do about new players in the 1~2 tiers. Not a lot of options there. Perhaps offer a special alternative event for those kinds of players?

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,133 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@fight4thedream said:
    I would love to see something like this implemented.

Only real issue is what to do about new players in the 1~2 tiers. Not a lot of options there. Perhaps offer a special alternative event for those kinds of players?

Could SCL be used for that? Wider availability of characters but lower rewards the lower the SCL? That would be more complex but a proper test strategy and mean "pick the highest SCL you can" wouldn't be a thing.

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,922 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

That's definitely one good solution.

I actually wish they would do something more meaningful with S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank. So certain type of events would be locked until you reached a certain rank and similarly would disappear if your roster was too strong.

But that would perhaps be even more complicated than what you are suggesting so let's just go with that for now. :smiley:

• Alex502
    Alex502 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options

I think that merging some of these ideas would be best. The higher up you go, the more dynamics included. Environmental stages (like the dark gysers in the Guardians event) mixed with two different Affiliation based sets of boosted lists to choose from. Lower Players could have a list of loaner characters depending on the boost list they use. A lower CL would have a wider list of 2 & 3 star boosts, perhaps a team of 4 star loaners that match the Affiliation choice? Higher CL could choose between the normal nodes, or take a challenge node with extra gimmicks. Highest CL could have a 5 star loaner on either side of the affiliation split.

This not only brings more interest to the game as you climb, it gives lower players that option to explore characters they don't have yet, brings incentive to climbing in CL more than just better rewards, but also gives a huge range of new options, in choosing between two different boost lists to fight against each other, and having the option of a challenge node in PvP that brings those cool dynamics that would go specifically well with the highlighted characters.