*** Magik (Darkchylde) ***

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited April 2023 in Character Details

Magik (Darkchylde)
3-Star Rarity
Affiliations: Villains, Heroes, X-Men, Mutants, Supernatural

"Magik's soul was fractured at a young age by a dark sorcerer. This resulted in her Darkchylde persona, a dark demonic form that grants her strength, but also makes her much more single minded and ruthless. When in Limbo this form is even more powerful."

Abilities listed at level 40/166
Health: 2273/8670

Drag Me To Limbo - Black PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Black matches do 50% more damage. If you have more than 10 Black AP on turn start, Magik teleports the battle to Limbo, reshuffling the board. Once there, she succumbs to her darker half and Darkchylde comes out to fight, replacing her powers with new ones.

• Level 2: Black matches do 100% more damage.
  • Level 3: Black matches do 150% more damage.
  • Level 4: Black matches do 200% more damage.
  • Level 5: Black matches do 250% more damage.

Demon Queen of Limbo - Black PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Now that Darkchylde's power is unleashed both of her other powers become stronger, but her teammates will take 28 damage on turn start. All matches do 50% more damage. If you have 0 Black AP on turn start, Magik teleports out of Limbo, reverting powers to normal.

• Level 2: Teammates will take 56 damage. All matches do 100% more damage.
  • Level 3: Teammates will take 84 damage. All matches do 150% more damage.
  • Level 4: Teammates will take 112 damage. All matches do 200% more damage.
  • Level 5: Teammates will take 140 damage. All matches do 250% more damage.

Soul Sword - 6 Red AP
Magik brings her Soul Sword to every fight! Deals 84 damage, converts 2 random basic tile(s) to strength 11 Black Strike tiles and converts 1 enemy Special tile(s) to Black tiles. (Max level 261 damage, strength 35 tiles)

• Level 2: Converts 3 random basic tile(s). (Max level 261 damage)
  • Level 3: Deals 112 damage. Converts 2 enemy special tile(s) to Black tiles. (Max level 347 damage)
  • Level 4: Converts 4 random basic tile(s) to Black Strike tiles. (Max level 347 damage)
  • Level 5: Deals 140 damage. Converts 3 enemy special tile(s) to Black tiles. (Max level 436 damage)

Corrupted Soul Sword - 6 Red AP
No longer holding back, Darkchylde deals 384 permanent damage, ignoring enemy Protect tiles and destroys 1 enemy special tile(s). This power also drains up to 2 Black AP.

(PASSIVE) At the start of your turn, if one does not exist, create a 3-turn Repeater tile that creates 3 strength 78 Strike tiles. (Max level 1200 damage, 243 Strength tiles)

• Level 2: Deals 457 permanent damage. Destroys 2 enemy special tiles. (Max level 1428 damage, 243 Strength tiles)
  • Level 3: Deals 534 permanent damage. Creates a 2-turn Repeater tile. (Max level 1668 damage, 243 Strength tiles)
  • Level 4: Deals 622 permanent damage. Destroys 3 enemy special tiles. (Max level 1944 damage, 243 Strength tiles)
  • Level 5: Deals 899 permanent damage. Destroys 4 enemy special tiles. Creates 4 Strike tiles. (Max level 2808 damage, 243 Strength tiles)

Dark Magik - 6 Purple AP
Magik calls upon dark powers to cast a spell, dealing 167 damage and converting 4 random basic tiles to Black tiles.

(PASSIVE) When the enemy team makes a Black match, Magik's team gains 1 Black AP. Magik takes 20% less match and ability damage from Supernatural enemies. (Max level 522 damage)

• Level 2: Deals 222 damage. Magik takes 25% less damage. (Max level 694 damage)
  • Level 3: Converts 5 random basic tiles. Magik takes 30% less damage. (Max level 694 damage)
  • Level 4: Deals 279 damage. Gains 2 Black AP. Magik takes 35% less damage. (Max level 872 damage)
  • Level 5: Deals 334 damage. Converts 7 random basic tiles. Magik takes 45% less damage. (Max level 1044 damage)

Darkchylde Magik - 6 Purple AP
Magik casts a curse, dealing 295 damage and converting 1 random basic tile(s) to Critical tiles. Then drains up to 2 Black friendly AP.

(PASSIVE) Once per turn, whenever the enemy makes a match in Darkchylde's strongest colors, or friendly AP is destroyed or or stolen, Darkchylde casts a counter curse that deals 28 damage and accumulates 1 charge(s). At the start of her turn, Darkchylde converts 1 random basic tile to a Critical tile per charge. Darkchylde takes 30% less match and ability damage from Supernatural enemies. (Max level 921/87 damage)

• Level 2: Deals 351 damage. Counter curse deals 34 damage. Takes 35% less damage. (Max level 1096/104 damage)
  • Level 3: Deals 413 damage. Counter curse deals 39 damage. Takes 40% less damage. (Max level 1289/122 damage)
  • Level 4: Converts 2 random basic tiles to Critical tiles. Counter curse deals 52 damage. Takes 40% less damage. (Max level 1289/163 damage)
  • Level 5: Converts 3 random basic tiles to Critical tiles. Counter curse deals 86 damage. Takes 50% less damage. (Max level 1289/267 damage)

Feeder Updates

Release Schedule

Story
Lost in Time - 3/9 - 3/13
Magik (Phoenix Five) Shards and Event Token in Placement Rewards
Magik (Phoenix Five) Event Token in Progression Rewards and Alliance Rewards

Fight for Wakanda - 3/12 - 3/16
Magik (Phoenix Five) Legendary Token in Placement Rewards, Shards and Event Token in Progression Rewards, Legendary Token and Event Token in Alliance Rewards

Versus
Grey Matter (Jean Grey (All-New)) - 3/7 - 3/11
Magik (Darkchylde) in Placement Rewards

Darkchylde Rising - 3/9 - 3/13
Magik (Phoenix Five) Shards in Placement Rewards, Event Token, Magik (Darkchylde) in Progression Rewards, Event Token in Alliance Rewards

Flames of Limbo - 3/12 - 3/15
Magik (Phoenix Five) Event Token in Progression Rewards, Event Token in Alliance Rewards

Offers
Essential Magikal Power Store - 3/9 - 3/13
Chance to get Magik (Phoenix Five). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls

Dark Magick Woman Vault - 3/16 - 3/19
Chance to get Magik (Phoenix Five). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls
40 Items:
○ 1x Limbo Legendary Store Token
○ 1x 4-Star Professor X (Charles Xavier) cover
○ 3x Random 3-Star covers
○ 6x Heroic tokens
○ 4x 2500 Iso
○ 6x 1000 Iso
○ 5x 500 Iso
○ 14x Two stars

Limbo Legendary Store - 3/16 - 3/19
15% chance to get Magik (Phoenix Five), Colossus (Phoenix Five), and Kitty Pryde (Uncanny X-Men)
Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points

Comments

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards

Yo! That purple Darkchylde Magik power looks CLEAN.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

I find 3* Magik powers much more fun.

All matches do 250% more damage. I'm not sure if it's referring to hers or everyone on players' teams.

Her transformed purple passive is going to be crazy. Imagine going against 3* She-Hulk and creating over 10 or 20 critical tiles on your next turn. The other question is if it synergises with friendly powers that destroys or drains friendly aps. If it does, it's going to be crazy in wave nodes. :o

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

It's really interesting that thematic power to another dimension where she is stronger but her partners do suffer.
    It's a fun 3* character to play.

• HoundofShadow

Oops! I read her transformed purple passive wrongly. It's one charge per event and not per ap destroyed. I thought it would go crazy. However, testing to see if it works with the likes of 5* Iceman is interesting.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards

This powerset sounds like Darkchylde should have been the 5*. That alternate Purple would have been a nice response to Chasm. Is it too late to switch 3* and 5* Magik's powersets? :#

• MirrorKnight
    MirrorKnight Posts: 72 Match Maker

The black and red powers are solid, but the potential of the transformed purple power is staggering. Will Agent Venom charge the curse? Guessing no, but will be interesting to confirm.
    Will be fun to pair with Karnak and Chavez.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards

@BlackBoltRocks said:
    This powerset sounds like Darkchylde should have been the 5*. That alternate Purple would have been a nice response to Chasm. Is it too late to switch 3* and 5* Magik's powersets? :#

I thought the same. This looks like a 5* skill set.

Oh well.. at least within her tier, she can damage Hood every turn when he steals!

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards

Uh, she makes 3 critical tiles at the start of the turn if the enemy matches black/red/purple? I'm sure that'll be fine...

Her event is gonna be a totally random disaster with 5* partners. Luckily we'll only see her again when she's featured

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

As everyone has already said, her power set looks really awesome once she moves the battle to Limbo (10 Black AP). With her normal form Purple creating a ton of Black tiles it will happen often even for the AI (assuming no Black outlet on the team).

Something looks wrong wording wise with the Purple Limbo description. At 5 covers it says she creates 3 critical tiles per charge. It also says she accumulates 3 charges whenever enemy matches strongest colors/steals/destroys AP. That would mean she'd create 3x3=9 critical tiles. That doesn't seem right.

KGB

P.S. I've long advocated for a character who damages the enemy for AP theft/destruction. Now we finally have it. She will wreck passive AP stealing/destroying characters like Hood, OBW, Gargantos etc and even have value against goons who steals/destroy AP. Now get this power on a 5* please.

• Scorpion201
    Scorpion201 Posts: 57 Match Maker

Which is Magik is better? the 3 star or 4 star version.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards

@Scorpion201 said:
    Which is Magik is better? the 3 star or 4 star version.

This character is going to be much better than the 4* version. Probably better than the 5* version too if you just look at power sets.

I say this because if the PvP event Balance of Power (where everyone is set to L550) was run, this version of Magik would be the best of the 3 to use simply because of that Purple critical tile creation.

KGB

• HoundofShadow

It depends on your team compositions because both their powers have different usage. I use 4* Magik for her fortification of SAP tiles and creation of 2 protect tiles every time a friendly power is fired. I teamed her with Apocalypse before to have more protect tiles and protection of them. The other team was with nerfed Bishop. If you want to protect and strengthen your SAP tiles with a focus on protect tiles, 4* version should be good.

For 3* version, if you are focusing on passive creation of 3 critical tiles every turn or two, it's a race to collect 10 black aps as fast as possible. If she's tanking, it would be good to pair her with some healers. Then you would also pair her with other partners with high match damage, like Karnak, Juggernaut or whichever 4* has high match damage and high crit multiplier.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards

Darkchylde Magik looks much cooler than roller disco girl Magik. It's a shame we didn't get any powers with S'ym popping up (unwillingly) to help, although I can understand why that might not have been 100% possible for copyright reasons. Although maybe as a Support? Probably not. These new 3* are pretty much all great - I almost wish I was a 3* player again so I used them more than just when Essential and for the 3/2* DDQ node.

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

Not making the powers any simpler I see.

She looks very strong, especially if you hide her behind 5*s and you can take advantage of her "create crit tiles"-passive.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

All 3* characters BCS has design until now are great and all pretty much exceed the 3* tier with their toolkits, in order to be played with 4* or 5* partners.

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin

Made some updates to Magik in advance of her release. Still very powerful in testing, but a bit less OP with her Darkchylde Purple Passive.

Changes:

• Updated text to be a little shorter overall
    • Soul Sword's Strike tiles no longer get stronger on some ability levels. It still gains strength on character levels.
    • Corrupted Soul Sword's Active base damage increased by ~20%
    • Darkchylde Magik's Active base damage increased by ~20%
    • Darkchylde Magik's Passive base damage decreased by ~80%. This part of the ability was seen as more bonus damage to be pumped using her (or other) Strike tile generation, but it was doing too much base as it was.
    • Darkchylde Magik's Passive clarified that it can only trigger once per turn. This is not a mechanical change, simply a description clarification.
    • Darkchylde Magik's Passive now gains up to a constant 1 charge per turn instead of gaining more charges on ability levels.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards

Whelp...I guess the fun is over before it even began!

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:
    Whelp...I guess the fun is over before it even began!

Aww shucks. Instead of letting us play around with it as the real beta testers like they normally do! :mrgreen:

• HoundofShadow

Throwing out 3 critical tiles every turn or two passively is still pretty powerful. In PvEs, slap some supports that give you a total of 9-10 black ap at the start of the game: The Tinkerer and/or Ebony Maw. Maybe add in Deathlok plus 5* with top 2 strongest colours in black and maybe purple. Hopefully, they have high critical multiplier of 4.0x as well. I can't think of any at the moment. Colossus maybe?

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor

Could have been a great 5* with this kit. Very deflating both 3 & 5*s already nerfed before release.