What was that event about the Dark Avengers hunting the Hulk?

Options
2»

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,528 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This event was probably the one I hated the most...like the most by far. The rewards were not great, and it was a long rough run at the time for my roster. It really reminded me of The Hunt for some reason.

The best part of the event was getting a 3* Hulk cover :/

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,216 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Everybody hated the Sentry event (Prodigal Son) because we weren't fighting the Dark Avengers. The Dark Avengers are some of the worst characters in the game, and they still sucked all those years ago.

In the Sentry event, all the enemies were heroes, and they were actually good (for the time, anyway) so it was like twice as hard as the Daken/Bullseye/Yelena snoozefests that most PvEs still are.

Hey, here's a fun one: how many fights do you think you've done against 2* Daken/2* Bullseye/both in your MPQ career? I don't even want to know, it's got to be tens of thousands for me.

• dianetics
    Options

Prodigal Son may have been one of those events that I never full cleared. Way back I rarely played heavy. It must have been when 4* Kingpin came out that I really started clearing the PvE's to completion.
    2* Daken used to be so much better back then.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023
    Options

Anyone remember Heroic PvE events?
    You only had a handful of characters to create a team, while the remaining 90% of your roster was locked. Sometimes you could make creative teams, but most times it was freaking miserable.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:
    You only had a handful of characters to create a team, while the remaining 90% of your roster was locked. Sometimes you could make creative teams, but most times it was freaking miserable.

They ran a Heroic a few months ago.
    It must have gone over like a lead balloon - we got another one with nobody locked out, and nothing since.
    That was I want to say last summer, shortly after BCS took over.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,174 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

We had a Heroic boss event last year, where players could only use Dark Avengers. That meant the only available 5* were Goblin, Daken, Yelena.

It went as well as you might expect.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/982017#Comment_982017

• dianetics
    Options

It didn't help that the boss wasn't balanced properly and he was literally one shotting people in the first round :D .

After the balance fix it was doable but still not fun...mainly because they chose to go with Dark Avengers as the group it was painful. Every Dark Avenger in the game is more than what...4-5 years old? It just was not that well thought out or tested beforehand.

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,377 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@DeNappa said:
    Was that the one with the global points goal? I vaguely remember that. It was a looong time ago though.

Hulk was the one that had a global bracket. This was before time slices existed. Every player was on the same bracket, and placement rewards were extended massively (I think #1 rewards went to top 100 or something?).

It also had 12-hour subs.

The global bracket is something they should really think about bringing back -- it makes no sense to reward players for sniping late brackets, and a lot of times a #1 score in one full bracket would be #10 or #15 in a different one.

Yeah, but if I remember correctly, the first (few?) times that it ran it also had a global points "progress bar" that everybody contributed to. If enough points were earned, everybody got rewarded a free 3* Hulk cover too.

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options

There was an event in which each sub event had a global progress bar, when the bar was filled, more nodes unlocked in the sub event.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@MoosePrime said:
    There was an event in which each sub event had a global progress bar, when the bar was filled, more nodes unlocked in the sub event.

I think this was Thick as Thieves. The Hulk event had something similar too, and so did the Hunt.

I know some people really like that all the PvEs are the same now, but I find it sad. The events used to be different in weird ways -- sometimes good, sometimes bad, but at least they were interesting.

• Punisher5784
    Options

@MoosePrime said:

It was Prodigal of the Sun for 3* Sentry's release. I remember this because that's when I joined the game

• Punisher5784
    Options

@BlackBoltRocks said:

@Punisher5784 said:

We had a Heroic boss event last year, where players could only use Dark Avengers. That meant the only available 5* were Goblin, Daken, Yelena.

Glad I missed out on that lol

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,868 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@BlackBoltRocks said:

@Punisher5784 said:

Glad I missed out on that lol

Actually it was sort'a interesting as a Boss Event.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,343 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    I know some people really like that all the PvEs are the same now, but I find it sad. The events used to be different in weird ways -- sometimes good, sometimes bad, but at least they were interesting.

I'm with you on this one. I really miss Simulator PVE. It was hard but good judge of your roster. Also miss some of those other weird one offs that were tried now and again.

• dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    Options

We don't want Hulk event back. That was easily the worst one. Prodigal Sun wasn't too bad as you fought other heroes instead of the DA the entire time.

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm really starting to come around to the the one big push theory of pve. The convenience of simply picking your start time at your convenience and just pushing to finish the event is alot more appealing than having to time the start of your finishing grind. The gamesmanship of team composition will still exist and be the main differentiator in how players reach various placement tiers. Yes, it means tweaking timers etc. but I'm confident the devs can redefine the point system.

In essence, we move away from the two grind model at the "end/start" and goto a 1 grind session per event duration. The idea is that we explicitly elminate the penalty of over/under estimating the finish. and let players focus on team selection and or various point/node clearing orders. Yes this elminates the element of "bad finish" but I also believe we'll see better team optimizations

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,234 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Phumade said:
    I'm really starting to come around to the the one big push theory of pve. The convenience of simply picking your start time at your convenience and just pushing to finish the event is alot more appealing than having to time the start of your finishing grind. The gamesmanship of team composition will still exist and be the main differentiator in how players reach various placement tiers. Yes, it means tweaking timers etc. but I'm confident the devs can redefine the point system.

In essence, we move away from the two grind model at the "end/start" and goto a 1 grind session per event duration. The idea is that we explicitly elminate the penalty of over/under estimating the finish. and let players focus on team selection and or various point/node clearing orders. Yes this elminates the element of "bad finish" but I also believe we'll see better team optimizations

Like this idea. Could you take it one step further? Effectively have a PvE season where you can select any event you want from the season list in any order you like but then it's locked until the end of season. Season points total gets extra progression and placement rewards like in PvP.

• entrailbucket
    Options

I think that kind of thing is probably too big for them to do at this point in the game, but who knows? I don't remember how long it took them to change PvE from 8hr point resets to 24hr resets.