Dual 550 MMR

Options
TheXMan
TheXMan Posts: 138 Tile Toppler

Anyone know approximately how high your 2nd character has to be to get stuck in dual 550 MMR? Okoye is 550 so does the 2nd have to be 550?

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Great question. I would expect that the top 2 to 3 need to be 550. Though it would depend on how many single 550 players there are. I think there are a couple with Shang-Chi at 550 and no one else over 500. I don’t think they come to this forum anymore though.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,898 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It's been awhile, but I don't think it works that way. Iirc I had to get 3 guys to 550 before I was able to consistently see 550 opponents. I could find them before that if I got way above them, queued for 5 or whatever, then kept the queue and dumped.

550 matchmaking is really weird though. They work really hard to hide us from everyone except us.

• tupacboy
    tupacboy Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Options

I find it kind of funny how after 9 years we're still just guessing

• entrailbucket
    Options

550 matchmaking was definitely just a quick fix/workaround they put in to make us invisible to everyone else. It's a much harder break than the other tiers and it does some other stuff differently too. I just can't remember exactly where it kicks in...it's been awhile.

• mani82
    mani82 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options

So entrail you just want them to unhide u from the 450 Shang cheese MT and polarised BRB combos so that you can sealbash the retaliation red nodes 😂lol

• entrailbucket
    Options

I was just trying to explain how it works!

But yes.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,544 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I routinely get attacked by dual 550's and my highest level is a 530 Okoye. So, I'm not totally sure I understand what is meant by them having their own MMR.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Borstock said:
    I routinely get attacked by dual 550's and my highest level is a 530 Okoye. So, I'm not totally sure I understand what is meant by them having their own MMR.

You have it backwards. We generally get to see you (unless there's a critical mass of dual-550 teams out) but you can't see us.

They did this because lower-level players complained excessively about being given fights they couldn't win. Dual-550 teams are typically invisible to non-550 rosters unless you do some weird tricks.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,544 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

You have it backwards. We generally get to see you (unless there's a critical mass of dual-550 teams out) but you can't see us.

They did this because lower-level players complained excessively about being given fights they couldn't win. Dual-550 teams are typically invisible to non-550 rosters unless you do some weird tricks.

Ah. Did not know.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

Do you know what the highest I can level my 5*s without seeing champed ones? I currently have mine at 350

• entrailbucket
    Options

I don't know that answer (I've had "5* MMR" since like 2016), but I'm sure someone here does.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023
    Options

I think you are pretty close with 350, if not there. I don’t think there are many player with max champed 4s and no 5s champed so going beyond 370 would be dangerous. KGB or Skittledaddy would know for sure.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,933 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023
    Options

You're probably at the limit of what you can level up to and you might even be past it.

My 5s are all in the 330 range and my top 4s are all in the 360+ range (none at 370 yet).

I will see champed 5* in PvP but normally only single champed 5* so champed Shang + America or champed Shang + Valk or champed BRB + Polaris type thing. Obviously once you break MMR you can get fed dual 5* champs.

Thanks to the 5* boost, I typically see a lot of undercovered 5s boosted into the 420-500 range, often a pair of such under covered 5s which still means eating their 5 match damage at those levels even if their powers aren't fully fleshed out.

Presumably you should be seeing the same if you have a handful of your 5s in the 350 range.

KGB

• entrailbucket
    Options

Remember, too, the matchmaking algorithm can only serve you players that actually exist. So you'll get stuff outside your range if there's nobody in your range who's unshielded and around your point level in that time slice at that time.

• Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options

@KGB said:
    You're probably at the limit of what you can level up to and you might even be past it.

My 5s are all in the 330 range and my top 4s are all in the 360+ range (none at 370 yet).

I will see champed 5* in PvP but normally only single champed 5* so champed Shang + America or champed Shang + Valk or champed BRB + Polaris type thing. Obviously once you break MMR you can get fed dual 5* champs.

Thanks to the 5* boost, I typically see a lot of undercovered 5s boosted into the 420-500 range, often a pair of such under covered 5s which still means eating their 5 match damage at those levels even if their powers aren't fully fleshed out.

Presumably you should be seeing the same if you have a handful of your 5s in the 350 range.

KGB

Similarly, all of my fully covered 5* are soft-capped below my highest 4*. This has worked out well for me in PvP. Although we don't know the exact formula for MMR, we are pretty sure the highest leveled characters have something to do with it. This information doesn't help OP, however. I will point out that since we don't know what the cut-off point is for seeing more 2x550 teams, every level added, obviously, takes you closer to that point. If that is your goal, keep leveling and you'll get there eventually. If that is not your goal, stop leveling. There is an insignificant difference between a 500, 501, and a 505.

• TheXMan
    TheXMan Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options

Asked in monthly Q&A...

Question: Can you provide the levels when MMR changes? In particular, when do you move into dual 5 star MMR as well as dual 550 MMR.

Answer: It's a shifting scale depending on your current MMR and the MMR of players in your current pool. So there's no real way to tell.

• StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 143 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

Do you know what the highest I can level my 5*s without seeing champed ones? I currently have mine at 350

Around 375-380 should be safe. It used to be anyway.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,614 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I would say 380 is probably VERY borderline. Bear in mind that most 450 5* players do not have super high levelled 4* so when MMR is searching for a match it is going to stretch/gravitate towards 5* rather than high level 4's, hence why you will start getting 5* matches because apart from the odd maxed out Polaris there aren't 4* levelled that high to match you against. I only have one 4* in the 360 range (my MMR is something like 465) and that was just through circumstance.

If you have champable 5* I would just go and champ them. You'll get to enjoy 550 boosted weeks (Riri + Emma this week was heaven), PvE will massively improve and honestly PvP is really not all that hard if you have at least a few decent 5's to go with.