Arcade or Wong? Which is more worth overchamping?

LavaManLee
LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2023 in MPQ General Discussion

I think both Riri and HitMonkey benefit going past 450. Which means I either unheard now and get more Arcade or unheard next season and get more Wong. Any thoughts on which of Arcade or Wong would be better past 450? Thanks!

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023

Aren't there at least three more weeks for you to make this decision? Whatever people say today I might wait a week or two just to give everyone more direct experience with Wong.

Fwiw, to me both Wong and Arcade seem overly complex and require too much fiddly management to be really great. So as between them I would go Wong just because the things he does are less common in the game, and there have been more than a few occasions where unique abilities from way back when became suddenly more valuable thanks to a new release (think bssm as soon as the grocket meta arrived, or HE every time someone who likes red or blue and makes lots of CDs releases).

• LavaManLee
    edited January 2023

There's definitely three weeks or so left. I just thought I'd throw it out to get the discussion going. And totally appreciate your thoughts. Great points.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,638 Chairperson of the Boards

I don't think there's much to separate them, both characters are average for the tier.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards

Doubt you will use either so it really doesn’t matter. Flip a coin. Chuck them on the never to be seen again heap.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,638 Chairperson of the Boards

@Tony_Foot said:
    Doubt you will use either so it really doesn’t matter. Flip a coin. Chuck them on the never to be seen again heap.

Nah, they'll both be perfectly playable during their boost weeks. Neither is as bad as, like, Wasp.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

I like Arcade. However his play is really random. Imo he is a character for to have fun as a third wheel, and then depending on the trap colors he can deliver a good blow.
    Wong on the other hand is the defensive one. His role is harder to appreciate. He can be fun too.
    Who is the one I'd chase if it wasn't possible both? Definitely wong.
    Because he has got affiliations effects and arcade hasn't.

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2023

Boosted arcade can do serious damage. He does seem complicated but ultimately it's "match traps, put out repeaters to smoosh, replace control if you've done a whoopsie".

Not great with or against anyone who generates SAPs but he's fun. I will absolutely be using him when boosted (and maybe when Okoye is boosted)

Edit: also with Emma5! She boosts boostedly with red

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

If you are using Arcade's Poison Cloud as a finisher, then Wong would benefit from more levels.

Baby champed 3* Arcade's Poison Cloud is already dealing ~20k AoE if there are 5 black/purple trap tiles removed. His 5* version (at 450) is dealing AoE of 9144 * number of black/purple tile removed. If 5 are removed, you are dealing ~45k AoE. Put him with 5* Emma and it's ~77k AoE. Since he's boosted, his Poison Cloud, along with Emma's boost, will deal 191k AoE.

Wong is a support/defensive character. He's the only character who can do team true heal in the game now. Mechanic-wise, it's fun and thematic. You can create some kind of mini-story in your match with him, if that's your thing. I would go with giving Wong more levels since Arcade's AoE at baby champed level are already doing tons of damage.

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 488 Mover and Shaker

I'm leaning towards Wong. He has a passive that boosts his own damage and has a 1 in 3 chance of starting the battle with strike tiles, that makes him easier to build a team around.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

On top of that, characters with support/defensive abilities prove to be useful against meta teams of the future. You can't go wrong having more higher level defensive/support character in your roster.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,592 Chairperson of the Boards

I’m not impressed with Arcade. At 3* he is very strong, but his skill set doesn’t really translate well to the 5* tier.
    Using him recently and it’s just not great, but he is much better than other trap users. So there is that.
    Wong is looking to be decent, but I don’t have enough covers to really evaluate. In his introducing PvP he was usable and had some impact much more so than Arcade during his.

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2023

I'm an old player coming back and I dont have the latest super awesome passive 5* characters. Emma Halfthor Arcade is the newest, best team I can run in a pick 3, and its centered entirely around Arcade. I think Arcade is sick and does damage really fast. He's not very random with 5 in pink. Poison Cloud should be used asap and you should match the fortification away. Use pink as the finisher. Emma is a much better partner than Okoye with Arcade, even with Arcade at 535 or 355, but 553 is king.

• LavaManLee

Really appreciate all the helpful feedback. The insights are very welcome!

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023

@Ruinate said:
    I'm an old player coming back and I dont have the latest super awesome passive 5* characters. Emma Halfthor Arcade is the newest, best team I can run in a pick 3, and its centered entirely around Arcade. I think Arcade is sick and does damage really fast. He's not very random with 5 in pink. Poison Cloud should be used asap and you should match the fortification away. Use pink as the finisher. Emma is a much better partner than Okoye with Arcade, even with Arcade at 535 or 355, but 553 is king.

Ok all y’all convinced me. I won’t skip Arcade out of spite. After 30 pulls fully covered at 5/5/3. Pulled a Riri and Monkey for good measure.

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor

My opinion is warped since I dont know what its like to run with the meta characters, but I think hes better than people make him seem and is fun to use, if anything.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023

@Sekilicious said:

@Ruinate said:

Ok all y’all convinced me. I won’t skip Arcade out of spite. After 30 pulls fully covered at 5/5/3. Pulled a Riri and Monkey for good measure.

Gotta champ 'em all, anyway.
    You never know when an old character might become relevant again.

Also, hey Ruin :)

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards

Well champing might take quite a while longer. He will join the iso line and get there eventually.

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor

Just as an update - my champed boosted Arcade can do serious damage. His blue/poison cloud countdown is doing approx. 47k AOE. add Emma Frost and it's 90k+ AOE.

He's doing ok and I'll deff run him heaps when boosted.