Rolling 1*, 2*, and/or 3* tiers into single tier

Options
2»

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,412 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Not playing for full progression. Playing for half progression usually.

I was playing it as what I would expect a casual players experience to be.

The early game has a lot of roadblocks.

Even if I was playing for full progression the roster slot issue is a bottleneck. It’s also not clear which clearance level you should be playing at. Just sort of trial and error, further compounded by the different difficulties of different events.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,171 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I guess I really don’t see the point of moving these characters up to 3- you still have to roster them, it means all the 1s become necessary to roster because they’ll become part of required rotations, those jumped up 1*s will need to have champion reward trees added, the several 2-color ones will need a 3rd color added, it dilutes the champ reward engine, it’s just generally creating way more problems and solving exactly no problems I can see.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2022
    Options

There's a saying 'You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink'. Why are we helping super casual players to steamroll through 3* land when they don't even want to put in decent effort? Players who put in effort champ 38 3* in 6 months and players who play casually champ 1 3* in 6 months. Even if the dev rain 3* and 4* covers onto these super casual players, you can't change how they play. They are not going to play full progression. They are still going to play super casually. What's the point of helping players who don't put in effort? If we really want to help players, we should be helping players who put in effort and go for full progression. If time is an issue, then expect to progress slower. Why do we need the dev to forcefully drag these players into 3-5 land where they hardly care?

• dianetics
    Options

Agreed it doesn't make sense for the 1* characters at all, which are there essentially to get you through the first few story subs and introduce you to the game in general. They essentially become a roster slot drain in the early game and late game.

• dianetics
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    There's a saying 'You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink'. Why are we helping super casual players to steamroll through 3* land when they don't even want to put in decent effort? Players who put in effort champ 38 3* in 6 months and players who play casually champ 1 3* in 6 months. Even if the dev rain 3* and 4* covers onto these super casual players, you can't change how they play. They are not going to play full progression. They are still going to play super casually. What's the point of helping players who don't put in effort? If we really want to help players, we should be helping players who put in effort and go for full progression. If time is an issue, then expect to progress slower. Why do we need the dev to forcefully drag these players into 3-5 land where they hardly care?

We should generally be concerned about player retention.
    Whether it takes a player a year to get to 5* land or it takes them 3 years. We want a large number of people to keep playing so the game has a healthy userbase. If the game is so obtuse and demanding, then players will just quit before getting to too far into the game.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    Dianetics said he created a second account last year and it took him 6 months to champ his first 3*. I just saw a post in roster progress update where a new F2P player who played for 179 days in February 2022 has already championed 38 3* and 1 4*. His progress and Dianetic are world apart. Dianetic said he expects to champ his first 4* somewhere on the 12th month. 6 months before February put us somewhere in August 2021. When he was playing around day 100, he has already gotten 9 3* champed. It doesn't look like the new player is confusing champed and rostered.

Yeah my bad and I apologize for my error. It was me who was confused about the start date. My original point stands. Day 179 for the first champed 4* is about right for optimal play. For myself, took me longer because I was in no way spending resources optimally. Probably a year or so of playing, with a two year break thrown in there for good measure, so I set myself back six months in spite of daily play in PvE. PvP sucked until I champed Polaris after one of my hiatuses. Optimal spending accelerates roster construction quite a lot in real time.

That being said, 2021 rewards are nothing like 2022 rewards. If you started 2 months ago, it’s likely you would have both Emma and Arcade champed right now and playing at a higher tier than even last year. Roster spots and ISO poverty would still be the main things holding you back.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

I think adding those two new nodes to DDQ probably provides the illusion of meaningful progression to the hyper casuals personally.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2022
    Options

Super casual will still continue to play the game because their goals are different from those min-max players. They play the game to distress or to kill time. They are not here to champ all 3*, 4* and 5* characters. They play a few nodes and call it a day. In the alliance that I'm in, at least 80% of them play super casually and they are still playing the game after 4 years. Super casuals who want to progress as fast as full progression are few. I'm confident that even if the dev give every new players 10 champed 5* of their choice and open up SCL 10 for them on day 1, they will still play casually: play a few nodes and close the game.

If we are talking about retention, we should be looking at players who play for full progression or 70% progression. These are players who are invested in the game. Players who are not invested in the game come and go.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

My point is the same.
    Not talking about casual or not casual players.
    For a meaningful rolling of 1* and 2* characters into 3* tier, 25 characters should be rebalanced into 3* characters.
    And see that I don't know nothing at all about programming and coding, but my logic says that to make 1* and 2* into level 166 and after that all the way into 266, changing each level status and damage one by one, it's exactly the same as to rebalance a 5*, it could be a bit more because there are 5 1*s who only have 2 powers and they would need another one.
    So look at the extremely funny side of this request: you are charging devs to rebalance 25 characters who nobody asked or cared for them at all, for to see if some players want to play a bit more, destroying by the way the tokens rewards system, and increasing a lot the difficulty level of almost all pves featuring them.
    Not bad! Imo is a master villain plan for to screw everything and everyone.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

what you really should be striving to do is convert casuals into engaged players, not removing the tiers of play where casuals get stuck I think. If you suddenly just throw those players into the upper game, do they bounce off of it and go "oh wow, what even is this?!" or do they go "finally, the progress i deserve!" I wonder?