Who is buying Classic Tokens?

leviticuschom
leviticuschom Posts: 65 Match Maker
edited September 2022 in MPQ General Discussion
Does anyone buy classic tokens? What role are they serving? Are there situations where you'd recommend buying classics with CP?

Just genuinely curious, haven't purchased one in years and wanted to know who does - and why.

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to be a 4* player, on purpose. I didn't want to transition to 5* land. I preferred the 4* PvP game. At that time, it did make sense for me to buy classics instead of latests.

Now, in 5* land, I don't buy them unless they're part of a $package I'm in love with for whatever reason. I think that's happened a grand total of once.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2022
    You buy if you are not a 550 players, are fine with baby champed 5*, don't have particular 5* you really want to champ, have a lot of classic 5* uncovered and you are a champ it all, or you have excess cp to spend on.

I belong to the last category. With the generosity of the new dev, I've even more cps to spend on classics or even Special stores.
  • bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    I spend my CP on classics as soon as I get 20 so I can get as many shards as possible for my Shang Chi as he’s only 150 shards away from being my first champed 5*. Once that happens I may switch to just LL after but I haven’t put much thought into what I’ll do once I get there. 
  • toecutter3095
    toecutter3095 Posts: 55 Match Maker
    I buy 5 classics each week which is less than half my usual income, so I'm spending and semi-hoarding (3200+ CP for anniversary spending). I'm fully in the 4-star ISO drought with ~45 champed but at least 60 with enough covers/shards to be champed if I could afford the ISO. 

No 5-star champs. I am in the roster/champ them all category so I enjoy the lucky dip in classics to get the ones I am missing (I think 9 left to roster).

I am not looking to rush through the 4-star tier and get to champed 5s, so I am happy with this approach. I think having more champed 4s will also "pay off" better when breaking a big hoard because champ rewards are much better than saved covers.
  • leviticuschom
    leviticuschom Posts: 65 Match Maker
    @toecutter3095 Cool, that's a strategy that makes sense - gotta collect'em all. I suppose not rushing into 5* territory also helps.
  • Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2022
    Being in 4* land I do buy classic tokens whenever I can, so as to expand my 4* roster. Ocasionally I come across a worthy 5* cover, I usually make room for those if it's not a garbage 5* character. If it's a garbage 5* cover, I won't sell it immediately, I just get a slot and add it to my roster before selling to make it count towards the 5* challenge milestone reward. I do the same with 4* covers I cannot keep.

I'm not working towards champing a 5* yet (my current goal is just getting Shang to 1/1/1 but I only have 1 purple cover of him so I still got a long way to go), I'm just opening classics or whatever LL's I get from champ rewards as for now I'm just focusing on rostering/champing 4*s.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    I am now managing to champ the latest 5* characters without spending in release stores or latest, just opening tokens and picking up covers from alliance events, etc. All my cp goes into classics to catch up with older 5*s and get a better shard return.
  • bJeebus
    bJeebus Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    I remember when I was transitioning from 3 to 4 and before I had every 4 covered/rostered CL it was a cheaper way to do that.  It also helps you fill out that 5* roster too on occasion.  Because at that stage you're not looking to hoard so much because you just don't earn very much, and there's not a real reliable way to get many 4* covers (there wasn't then anyway--no spicy taco or mighty tokens) it was just easier to round out the roster with a CL pull like every three or four days.
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Gotta champ ‘m all goal - I spent all my cp in classics while being a 4* player, as the LL tokens would get me one cover of a latest, and I wanted the extra 4* and more shards for my 4* roster. I also rostered all 5* and slowly build them up to 6-13 covers that way. I went late into 5* transition, because I liked 4* pvp more (this was before 5* boosts, which made 5* pvp a lot more fun). When I finally transitioned, I had several meta 5* waiting for me with 13 covers already (drawn in classics, added covers from feeders and sharded to 13) so it was an easy transition. Nowadays I mostly draw in latest, as my remaining 5* can be sharded to 13 if I want, but as I make more CP than I need to champ latest, I am contemplating spending in classics again, to slowly beef up the non latest 5* as well (as I have 0 interest in hoarding for potential new meta).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the past, you could pull a guaranteed  random R4 support with 250cp that comes with 4* cover and red iso-8.

Unfortunately, the old dev removed it due to too much complains, I guess. If this option were available, I would spend it on getting R4 support instead of buying Classic. In competitive pves, Supports can be the differentiating factor for T1-T5 placements in scl 10. On top of that, players can cheese through CotT with the right support even if they have only 1 or 2 covers for that 4*. 

• Pottsie1980
    Pottsie1980 Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    I have been doing well with latest pulls recently, so building a stockpile of cp. Due to dilution i tend to wait for a meta/release store. Would spend if they had more 5* classic stores including my unchamped characters. 
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,759 Chairperson of the Boards
    Didn't we have this discussion only a few weeks ago?
    Anyway, I buy Classics when I have spare CP, mainly for the shards: got most 5* champed and I can champ latest 5* with LL and PVE/P shards, so to me it makes sense to get shards for less CP.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    The old dev team would rarely add anything without taking something away to even it out. the new devs might be more apt to add a classic token in there without pulling something else out... :*
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 790 Critical Contributor
    Although I have several 5* at 13 covers, I still consider myself a 4* player until I start farming 4 stars. Classic allows me to reach that goal faster. With that said, I don't pull exclusively from classic. I mostly hoard for LL until a solid 3 are available, but I will dip into classics for a few pulls when I have extra CP.