How to maximize iso-8?

leviticuschom
leviticuschom Posts: 65 Match Maker
edited August 2022 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm a 5* player with 14 champed(KK, SC, Kitty, Crystal, Garg), and find myself choking in the iso8 desert. Usually, I clear PVE rounds daily, get 4K in PVP seasons, VIP, and do all the basic requirements.

Things were tough 4 months ago, but have gotten substantially more bleak since all 4*s now feed 5*s. There simply isn't enough iso8 to level a 5*, yet alone champ new 4*s (or even non-feeder 4*s). I can barely keep 2* & 3* feeders going, many are sitting fully covered +20 in need of iso. Bonus 4* She Hulk with a feeder has been the tipping point, the extra HP was an inconvenience, but the extra iso is a problem. 

What more/or different strategies are you using to keep yourself relevant? Should I stop putting iso into 5*s now that I have A/B tier and focus on shards/covers only(champing in the distant future)? Sell maxed champed characters the moment they're fully covered? Join a better tier alliance? Looking to squeeze all the juice from this lemon.

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Play more pvp.
    Lightning Rounds, 50+ wins in normal events, everything.
    Get into a better alliance, do all hits on every PVE sub.
    Don't boost in PVE unless you're fighting for placement.
    Always champ from the top down - 5s before 4s before 3s before 2s.
    When choosing between chars in a tier, do the ones first who will help you daily, then feeders, then whatever.
  • leviticuschom
    Bowgentle said:
    Play more pvp.
    Lightning Rounds, 50+ wins in normal events, everything.
    Get into a better alliance, do all hits on every PVE sub.
    When choosing between chars in a tier, do the ones first who will help you daily, then feeders, then whatever.
    Thanks for the insights. Many "instincts" don't seem yield the right results, wish MPQ could be a bit more straight forward with progression. Will definitely implement some of these!
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:

1) I'd like to know why you don't boost in PVE unless you meant don't spend ISO on boosts since you get plenty of free boosts from finishing all the nodes.

2) What's the logic behind the top down? I'd spend ISO on 3/2* before 4/5* because you turn those over rapidly and they generate a lot of farming rewards. Your last point (about doing meta first) is pretty much the only 4/5* who need ISO when you are starved and hence why I'd spend on 3/2 first unless the 4/5 is a meta character you will use daily.

KGB

P.S. There are 2 other ways generate ISO:
    1) Spend $1.99 a month (Bugle pittance) and you get a month of bonus rewards (ISO, HP, CP). That's a lot of free ISO every month you get handed out on a daily basis.
    2) If you are really desperate and have time on your hands, you can generate ISO with 1* characters. You do this by rostering the character. Then put 2 covers on the character in the same color (2 reds on say 1* Spiderman). Then level the character as high as you can (spending ISO). Then sell the character and the ISO from selling > ISO you put in to level so you generate ISO. Adding more covers doesn't generate more ISO so 2 covers max. It's time consuming but if you hoard up standard tokens you can generate ISO this way.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, using boosts in pve doesn't use up a lot of iso - but it's still iso you're not using to level your characters.
    So if you know for sure you're not getting better placement than say t50, why use boosts of you can do that without boosts, too?

Champing from the top down just takes away a big chunk of ISO you don't have to spend later.
    If you don't have any meta characters or feeders waiting for ISO you might as well level your finished 5s to forever get rid of them.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    In addition to the other recs, don’t put iso into 5s you won’t use until all your 4s are champed
  • leviticuschom
    658_2 said:
    In addition to the other recs, don’t put iso into 5s you won’t use until all your 4s are champed
    Yes, I'll hold off on leveling up Wa5p, until there's a rebalance. But overall, my strategy has become - if you aren't going to use them daily then there's no point of leveling.
  • leviticuschom
    edited August 2022

2) What's the logic behind the top down? I'd spend ISO on 3/2* before 4/5* because you turn those over rapidly and they generate a lot of farming rewards. Your last point (about doing meta first) is pretty much the only 4/5* who need ISO when you are starved and hence why I'd spend on 3/2 first unless the 4/5 is a meta character you will use daily.

KGB

P.S. There are 2 other ways generate ISO:
    1) Spend $1.99 a month (Bugle pittance) and you get a month of bonus rewards (ISO, HP, CP). That's a lot of free ISO every month you get handed out on a daily basis.
    2) If you are really desperate and have time on your hands, you can generate ISO with 1* characters. You do this by rostering the character. Then put 2 covers on the character in the same color (2 reds on say 1* Spiderman). Then level the character as high as you can (spending ISO). Then sell the character and the ISO from selling > ISO you put in to level so you generate ISO. Adding more covers doesn't generate more ISO so 2 covers max. It's time consuming but if you hoard up standard tokens you can generate ISO this way.
    I agree, spending iso on 3/2 farming is the priority, unless a 4/5 character is meta (or serves a specific role) this strategy for about the last year. Bottom up sound right imo. Currently already doing VIP, if I make a purchase outside of VIP, are there even more bonus rewards we get? From what I understood, you make a purchase - you get perks for a month, period.  And wow, never looked at 1* character farming, but like you said - mucho time and work. Might just up my PVP game instead.
  • KGB
    edited August 2022

Currently already doing VIP, if I make a purchase outside of VIP, are there even more bonus rewards we get? From what I understood, you make a purchase - you get perks for a month, period.  And wow, never looked at 1* character farming, but like you said - mucho time and work. Might just up my PVP game instead.
    Nope, if you have VIP, you are already getting all the bonus rewards you can get.

1* farming is for those who really have a lot of time on their hands. I only mentioned it just in case you were someone that did.

KGB
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    KGB

I tried this an can't get the math to work.  What am I doing wrong?

I got two blue covers for 1* Spiderman and leveled him to the max which cost 520 ISO.

The sale price for Spiderman was then 500 ISO which is less than the 520 spent, not to mention that each of the blue covers could have been sold for 100 ISO.

The math I get shows a negative 220 ISO.  (500 - 520 - 100 - 100 = -220)

Am I missing something?

• KGB
    I just checked and your right.

The sell costs are not the same as they once were. It's no longer a net positive so they must have closed that loophole at some point in the past (I haven't done it 5+ years now).

KGB
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    I'm playing for 6 years and I'm iso-positive for 1,5 years now. Some advice that might help:
    2*-farming: Have an extra roster-slot for every 2*. Don't put any iso in the dupes until you have 50 covers (maximum) saved. When you get the 51st cover: champ the dupe, get all the rewards, sell it and reroster the 51st cover. Every cycle is net-positive. For 3*farming your dupe needs to have more than 60(70?) covers so that it is net-positive. I've forgotten the exact numbers since I'm iso-positive for a while. I sell my max-champed when the dupe has 61 covers. Thus the dupe will be at level 227. He's competitive in PvP and PvE and rewards 2 Legendary tokens. You don't need an extra roster slot for every 3* this way because 1/3 are floating between level 227 and 266.
    4*farming: I guess that's not a problem for you at the moment. I started 4*-farming when I was iso-positive.
  • JimboJambo
    JimboJambo Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    It has definitely been made harder with the additional 4* release. But on a positive note the anniversary is coming up so hopefully we will get a few much needed double iso events.