Buying shards with CP

Options
darkman84
darkman84 Posts: 56 Match Maker
The topis here is about offers in the store where we can buy some shards for random characters by spending HP. Whether it makes sense to spend HP this way or if/how anyone use it is an individual thing I suppose.
But I wonder what would you say if the devs proposed an alternative payment for those offers - either with HP or with CP. I suppose that it would make sense mostly for 5* shards, as for anything less it would be considered as a waste, but maybe it's also a matter of perspective.
Anyway I was thinking about CP cost, and as a base took a number of CP needed to buy one 5* cover offered for essensial classic, which is 250CP. (If we took 500 (cover for latest cost) or 720 (cost of level up for a power in character screen) CP as a base, then it would be 1-to-1 in the first case, or 1-to~0.7 in the second, so even the point of first buy becomes very questionable.)
So if 250 CP is worth 500 5* shards, then we get that 1 CP is worth 2 5* shards, so a cost for 20 5* shards would be 10 CP. The remainig part is how would it scale if it was a cost for first buy. Considering that HP cost scales up with each buy, so probably CP would too, which would make those buys less worthwhile comparing to other ways we can spend CP on. 
But anyway would such an offer have any reason to exist? What do you think?

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are already 3 ways to buy covers via CP for various prices (250, 500, 720) as you have noted.

The 250 and 500 are 1 time limited buys so the real cost is 720 cp for 1 cover. That would mean the actual cost in shards would be 720/500 or 1.44 CP per shard or 144 CP for 100 shards (assuming no rounding).

Virtually no one advocates spending 720 CP for a single cover so 144 CP for 100 shards is also a bad deal. Hence I don't think there is any reason for this to exist.

KGB
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Do people spend CP to buy covers directly? I've never done that myself. It seems better value to just spend CP on LLs or classics unless you absolutely have no use for 4s at all, which should never be the case. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've bought a 250 cp cover before to finish off a meta character like Okoye / Thor / Apoc etc. That's worth it. Not much else is.

KGB
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The first 2 years I played I bought Okoye covers at 720 CP. Took 1 year worth of CP to champ her but it was worth it to me . I was able to play SCL 10 and win with her as my only 5*. If I started today I’d do the same with Shang .
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Don't forget that shards > fixed covers due to the advantage of flexibility and the ability to choose. You can spend 720cp on powers only if you've unlocked them. Otherwise, you won't be able to buy that power.

In shards store, the cheapest 500 5* shard cost you 14000 hp (if you have the patience to wait 25 rotations) and 23590 hp if you're impatience (wait for two rotations). I used first few whales costume bundles to work out cp and hp exchange rate and figured out that 1 CP = 100hp. Therefore, the cheapest 5* 500 shard would cost 140cp and the most expensive at 236 cp using a direct conversion method.

20 5* shard would then cost you between  5.6 cps to 20/500*23590/100= 9.4cps. This is for Classic and they don't sell Latest in shard store.
  • darkman84
    Options
    Your calculation HoundOfShadow seem even more interesting than mine. If that would be the case then you could buy 60-80 5* shards within ~25CP cost, which is normally an equivalent of one latest or special store pull = 3 5* shards + 15 4* shards and 4* or 5* cover.
    Now (3 5* shards + 15 4* shards + 5* cover) is obviously better than 60-80 5* shards.
    But is (3 5* shards + 15 4* shards + 4* cover) also better?
    For someone who is for example 60 shards short of having another cover/power for a 5* character. You could either buy 20 classics (400CP), 20 latest (500CP) or three buys in shards store (20-25CP).
    I would consider it.
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is the idea to remove the HP shard rotating store or would this be parallel to it? 

I'd rather spend HP on shards because I personally value hoarding the CP towards pulls. Admittedly I don't think the HP to 5* shard conversion is great as it stands either. 
  • EienRyuu
    EienRyuu Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    Do people spend CP to buy covers directly? I've never done that myself. It seems better value to just spend CP on LLs or classics unless you absolutely have no use for 4s at all, which should never be the case. 
    I've used it only ONCE on a 4 star just to see how it works. Since I'm somewhat of a new player (about a year and a bit more playing) so I was curious about it. I mean I was seeing it the character screen so I've decided to try it. Though I did understand that it wastes quite the amount you have been gathering over the months. xD So, yeah I haven't done it since then.
  • darkman84
    Options
    Is the idea to remove the HP shard rotating store or would this be parallel to it? 

I'd rather spend HP on shards because I personally value hoarding the CP towards pulls. Admittedly I don't think the HP to 5* shard conversion is great as it stands either. 
    Parallel. You would choose how you pay - either with HP or CP.
  • Weirdnerd2009
    Weirdnerd2009 Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Options
    KGB said:
    I've bought a 250 cp cover before to finish off a meta character like Okoye / Thor / Apoc etc. That's worth it. Not much else is.

KGB
    The only other thing I can think of that would be worth it is a first yellow brb