Post rotation new daily event suggestions

Options
I'm sure the development team is well into the Dominaria United card-set, and thus looking into the post-rotation standard environment.

With that, it seems time to think about the new persistent daily new-set event, first introduced in the Ravnica block and succeeded by Zendikar Expeditions.

The Ravnica daily event was hugely popular. Mostly because:
- The format and objectives were varied, fun, and helped highlight some of the new cards
- The rewards were excellent
- The event could be completed easily in 4-5 games, so it didn't take all day to finish

By contrast the Zendikar Expeditions event was less popular. Mostly because:

- The objectives required significantly decreasing the power of your deck (doubly problematic because you may go up against opponents who just decided to skip the deck-weakening objectives; and thus had way more powerful decks)

- Exacerbated by the first bullet, it took a long time to finish the event, minimum 7 games, but likely more because you had to use a weak deck to get all the objectives done

- The rewards were mediocre, considering the time commitment. A large portion of the rewards were runes, and after awhile players would have most cards from Zendikar Rising, and the packs / card rewards never changed as new sets were released. This problem became very noticeable after rotation (when the new Innistrad sets came out).

So lets all put our heads together and see if we can help Oktagon come up with some ideas to make the next daily event better.

What I'd like to see:

- Fun games and objectives. I actually liked the direction they went with Zendikar Expeditions and having a theme for each color that changed based on the day of the week, I just wish the attached objectives didn't require depowering your deck, or slowing your win to meet the objective.

- Good return on time played: Please look at both the total rewards and the rewards per win. ZE had a reasonable amount of total rewards, but it required A LOT of wins to get them all, which made the rewards feel less generous than they actually were.

- Rewards that feel rewarding: A pack from the set is a good place to start, it would be nice if by the time the set was a year old the pack updated to something newer. A random rare from the set is also a good reward.

- Runes: Runes are very disappointing to established players, being almost worthless. I'd really like to push the idea that this would be a great time to finally implement the idea of including crafting orbs as a reward. These are useful to both new and old players. An even better idea would be to offer the option to choose runes or orbs as a choice so new players that need runes can get them, and older players can get perhaps 10% or 5% of the amount of runes in mana orbs.

- Doesn't take all day: Going to hit on it again, ZE took 7 games minimum, usually closer to 10-12 due to missed objectives and / or losses, and that's with a pretty good collection. Four games from the Ravnica event may have been too easy, but 6 games to finish if you run perfect and 8 being more typical sounds like a good sweet spot to me.

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Lady_River
    Lady_River Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I agree. I like the idea of the orbs as a reward, or just something other than runes, I have so many.. 

I don't really play ZE because I either get put off by losing because I tried to get objectives and failed because Greg had a better way more powerful deck that doesn't care for objectives. And I just don't have as much time I want to put towards 7+ matches trying to get all the rewards.

I feel there needs to be more standard pack as rewards or if it's a legacy specific pack, make it non dupe. Or something like that good. 
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would love it if they moved runes to the back end of the rewards. They already did this partially for You Found an Entrance. 5 perfect games to get all rewards would be my wish.

Another big wish of mine is to make broad punishing objectives mandatory in the deck editor. For example if a node requires to only use common-uncommon-rare, enforce this in the deck editor. They already did this in TCT where you cant play humans. This also goes for coalition events where gimping your deck has more consequences, it just feels extremely bad to lose to someone not caring about objectives. I would limit this to only some of the broad punishing/negative objectives though, not every objective. And only in pvp.
  • QuiksilverHg
    QuiksilverHg Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    ArielSira said:
    I would love it if they moved runes to the back end of the rewards. They already did this partially for You Found an Entrance. 5 perfect games to get all rewards would be my wish.

Another big wish of mine is to make broad punishing objectives mandatory in the deck editor. For example if a node requires to only use common-uncommon-rare, enforce this in the deck editor. They already did this in TCT where you cant play humans. This also goes for coalition events where gimping your deck has more consequences, it just feels extremely bad to lose to someone not caring about objectives. I would limit this to only some of the broad punishing/negative objectives though, not every objective. And only in pvp.

Thank-you for bringing this up. This has been an idea in the back of my mind that I forgot to mention. Either don’t give us deck-weakening objectives, or combine them into a mandatory deck-building restriction.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would love it if Octagon made a daily event that used the same functionality as in BfTA. By which I mean reuse some of the existing matchups used in other events/story mode. This way the daily events will avoid becoming stale and recognisable. 

Furthermore. they could tweak the difficulty scale, by making the opponent PW stronger or easier, again to mix it up.
    I know that for some not playing against player made decks is a bore but I don’t mind that.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't have much to add except that I've definitely played ZE less than 10 times... and maybe even half that. I'm sure it was nice for new players, so I don't really bemoan its existence, but it's a worthless slog for anyone else.
  • QuiksilverHg
    QuiksilverHg Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Oktagon_Support can you please weigh in.

Are the developers working on a successor to Zendikar Expeditions as a daily event?

Can you give us any insight into what it might look like?

Could you please pass on some of our feedback about what we’ve like and not liked about past daily event versions?

Thank-you!
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hello guys!
    Yes, the team is already working on a successor for Zendikar Expeditions. Unfortunately, I can't give many details about it, but I can say that I've shared your comments with the Game Design team :smile:
    Please let me know if you have any other thoughts on this matter!
  • Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options

- Exacerbated by the first bullet, it took a long time to finish the event, minimum 7 games, but likely more because you had to use a weak deck to get all the objectives done
    Further to this, the rotating colors combined with the objectives required you to spend time in the deck builder every day for ZE. You could play Rising Tides with a comparatively smaller number of saved decks. Sometimes I might have changed those decks to master some cards, but it was nice to have had the option not to.