Marvel Puzzle Quest Developer Q&A July 2022 Answers (7/26/22)

Options

Comments

• JRYUART
    JRYUART Posts: 95 Match Maker
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Since MMR takes points, time played, slices joined and shields into account, and the fact that majority of players play for wins and not points, and players not wanting to hit allies  could probably explain lack of opponents. 

When I was a 3*/4* players, I got hit by 5* players (including 550) after I hit over 900 points. I've see this frequently enough that I believe 3*/4* players scoring 900 and above will allow 5* or even 550 players to see them for most slices. For Slice 1, it's after 1000 points since points over there are jacked up like crazy.

Also, Slice 2 and Slice 5 are known as suppression slice. It's almost impossible to hit 1200 without shield hopping, unlike in Slice 1. However, it's easier to get T5/T10 in these two slices.

I think opening up mmr will worsen the experience for lower tier players or players with limited number of 5* because they would be upset with getting hit by 550 players more frequently. Opening up mmr works if and only if majority of 5* players have majority of 5* champed. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Majority of players probably have a handful of 5* champed.

But isn't this why godboost is so popular?  So that even those with lower leveled characters can use them to better effect with the buff?  Lower tiered rosters shouldn't be able to have both godboost *and* the benefit of being able to "hide" from higher rosters imo.  Even a dual 450 godboosted team can take down dual non-boosted 550's with ease.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's popular with many 5* players in both forums but not with many 3*/4* players in reddit.

Could you define what you meant by lower tiered? 450 and below?

Based on what I see, my widest choice of unique opponents my mmr can easily hit 20 when my score is zero.  However, as I start hitting 1000 or even 1200, my choice of opponents get narrower. In slice 2, this will happen even quicker. Maybe you want to play slice 1 and see if it's better? 

• JRYUART
    Options
    It's popular with many 5* players in both forums but not with many 3*/4* players in reddit.

Could you define what you meant by lower tiered? 450 and below?

Based on what I see, my widest choice of unique opponents my mmr can easily hit 20 when my score is zero.  However, as I start hitting 1000 or even 1200, my choice of opponents get narrower. In slice 2, this will happen even quicker. Maybe you want to play slice 1 and see if it's better? 

I don't have a problem getting placement or prog in my slice. I just believe that the MMR needs an overhaul no matter what slice you play so that significant chunks of the pvp experience isn't something the player has to work around or deal with due to the way they implemented the algorithim.  I'm doubtful that clog/qhell was a feature that was deliberately built in as part of the equation.  S1 circumvents this with grills/match fixing, which is an exploit of the way the pvp system works, hence more points.  If it comes down to it, I'll just stick with qhell over that mess.
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    People play their best team in PvP. If you are climbing to high points, you will see stronger teams. You will need to beat those teams to continue climbing. 

This really isn't rocket science. If you are only seeing boosted 5s that you can't beat, then you simply climbed up to the limit of your roster. 

If you are wasting skips to avoid hitting people in your alliance, then that is your decision, but you are the one choosing to avoid those teams and further narrowing the number of viable opponents you have. 

Yes, I would describe this as a minor inconvenience to you because part of this problem is your refusal to try and play differently. Climbing high in points is hard. It is not something that should be guaranteed. Removing God boosts so that you can find easier opponents is not beneficial to the game as a whole. 

Play for wins, join a different slice, stop wasting skips on alliance members, or just accept that you can't top every PvP.
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    While I can understand the people that point at specialized pvp play as the problem, it has been the pvp meta for a long long time. Meaning that if you want to score above 1200 some form of coordinated play is needed, involving not only the players own alliance, but whole alliance groups and those allied to them. People that specialize in pvp have been building that roster to accommodate that meta for years, and it is not something you can change in a heartbeat, so I think changing the pvp overnight is not a good idea.

Having said that, I would love to get rid of the ‘casual player X has hit me in pvp when I was unshielded’ sort of drama. Casual players should never be forced to take the time to study the name, alliance and shield position of every opponent when all they want is get 25 or 50 wins fast. They do not benefit from the pvp room system and they did not sign up for this no hit policy including everyone and their dog.

So my wish would be to have two pvp and let people choose in which one they want to play: a classic one, as it is now, and a casual one where no names of opponents are given, and where people just play on their own strength. That should solve the dilemma. 
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    Options
    They should just remove all names to stop this weird meta gaming where people are trading points in PvP. That is literally the unfair aspect that is going on. 

It is so backwards to think that kind of gameplay needs to be preserved but God boosts need removing. It is essentially win trading. That gets you banned in a majority of other PvP games.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wonder what difference will make to not showing names or alliance, in a game where players use to announce everything on discord.
    Just saying to your mates "I'm going with this character don't attack me" or "I'm going with these characters in these positions" will grant an edge over all the players who don't use discord, again.
    The only solution for people getting stalled on their MMR is to eliminate the skip button. Then you must attack the one the system selected for you. At least in that way many players wouldn't have advantage over others.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That would be awful since I often have to skip 5-10 times to find somebody worth points.
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    Options
    They definitely would not need to remove skips if they removed names.

Just removing names would make it prohibitively difficult for all these people to win trade PvP to climb points. 
  • HoundofShadow
    edited August 2022
    Options
    You don't need to coordinate to get 1200 in pvps, even in slice 2 and 5. I've done that a few times already. All you need is shield. I think I spent about 1200 hp in total per run in 2/5. I used only 1 in slice 1/4 to secure my point.

• JRYUART
    edited August 2022
    Options
    People play their best team in PvP. If you are climbing to high points, you will see stronger teams. You will need to beat those teams to continue climbing. 

This really isn't rocket science. If you are only seeing boosted 5s that you can't beat, then you simply climbed up to the limit of your roster. 

If you are wasting skips to avoid hitting people in your alliance, then that is your decision, but you are the one choosing to avoid those teams and further narrowing the number of viable opponents you have. 

Yes, I would describe this as a minor inconvenience to you because part of this problem is your refusal to try and play differently. Climbing high in points is hard. It is not something that should be guaranteed. Removing God boosts so that you can find easier opponents is not beneficial to the game as a whole. 

Play for wins, join a different slice, stop wasting skips on alliance members, or just accept that you can't top every PvP.
    You’re totally missing the point.  I’m not bringing this up because I can’t win or place. Winning is secondary.  I want to q those actually climbing in bracket and hit them down.  Can’t do that if mmr only shows you the same few qs while they are climbing right next to you in the bracket but you never get a chance to q them. Obtaining a zillion points is not the only way to win in pvp. I have a vet roster.  This is a vet problem.  We shouldn’t be marginalized or unheard just because we have managed to work for many years to get to this level and have the tools, but are hampered by antiquated MMR.  
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong. 
    This game is about grinding, gaining cps, and to evolve.
    For that reason the majority of people don't want to play sl 2.
    If people playing for to destroy the grinding of the majority of the players get more powers, what do you think the final outcome would be?
    I'll answer that: people hating pvp, no people playing pvp anymore, no people evolving, players on their MMR eternally stalled on their boring options.
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    Options
    Guy I am not missing the point, you are missing the point.

You aren't being victimized by God boosts. You are clearly advocating to just make things easier for you and the "veterans".

As I said before, people are playing their strongest teams. If those are boosted 5s, then you need to beat boosted 5s to climb. If this is a problem, then stop wasting skips on other teams just because you know them. Or do any of the several other things brought up so far to change how you play PvP. 

Saying "oh there are easier teams also climbing so I should be able to hit them every time" is not a valid complaint. You aren't entitled to everything because you think you've played the game long enough. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    For that reason the majority of people don't want to play sl 2.
    I actually don't mind S2 because none of my alliance plays in S2 so I don't have to spend time looking at names as I go up the ranking.  Yes, I spend more on Shields (I am sure) but there's something about not having to coordinate and/or constantly check names/alliances that makes it seem a bit more refreshing.
  • JRYUART
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Guy I am not missing the point , you are missing the point.

You aren't being victimized by God boosts. You are clearly advocating to just make things easier for you and the "veterans".

As I said before, people are playing their strongest teams. If those are boosted 5s, then you need to beat boosted 5s to climb. If this is a problem, then stop wasting skips on other teams just because you know them. Or do any of the several other things brought up so far to change how you play PvP. 

Saying "oh there are easier teams also climbing so I should be able to hit them every time" is not a valid complaint. You aren't entitled to everything because you think you've played the game long enough. 
    I still don’t think you understand what the situation is.  

I’m not going for easier teams.  I hit hit god boost teams all day every day.  It’s that the qs I am given, are the SAME 6 q’s , as in literally the same 6 players for a segment of every single pvp, ie before MMR opens up.. this has nothing to do with not wanting to hit equivalent levels .  This is not about them being god boosted and I don’t want to hit them.  They are literally the same exact qs over and over again and quite often , it’s 5 alliance mates and 1 random.  If you were that random , and my teammates are having the exact problem I am having, you would not be having a fun time.  Do you not see how their MMR is broken if you have to hit your teammates strictly for points until you can even get a new q to choose from?  

This is what it looks like 
    teammate
    Teammate
    teammate
    Teammate
    Bob
    repeat.

Put it this way.  The moment I manage to get out of MMR cause I’ve hit the same random dude 7 times , and finally the next new q is dual 672’s?  I hit them.

I don’t know how you play but maybe you can’t comprehend it because you deliberately hit your teammates after they leave noob grills out so what I’m describing is foreign.  Hold onto the precious godboost, I really don’t mind it actually unless it’s affecting the MMR issue I’m talking about in some way. 

Lastly, this is not vet entitlement. If you can q me as a player, I should be able to q you as a player , regardless of level.  This is currently not the case, no matter if it’s lopsided or equivalent rosters strengths. An easier team in my slice is never worth any points so we actually skip them.  If we actually want ok points, we have to hit the hardest teams , and that’s what we do.  

• StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 143 Tile Toppler
    Options
    JRYUART said:
    Guy I am not missing the point , you are missing the point.

I still don’t think you understand what the situation is.  

I’m not going for easier teams.  I hit hit god boost teams all day every day.  It’s that the qs I am given, are the SAME 6 q’s , as in literally the same 6 players for a segment of every single pvp, ie before MMR opens up.. this has nothing to do with not wanting to hit equivalent levels .  This is not about them being god boosted and I don’t want to hit them.  They are literally the same exact qs over and over again and quite often , it’s 5 alliance mates and 1 random.  If you were that random , and my teammates are having the exact problem I am having, you would not be having a fun time.  Do you not see how their MMR is broken if you have to hit your teammates strictly for points until you can even get a new q to choose from?  

This is what it looks like 
    teammate
    Teammate
    teammate
    Teammate
    Bob
    repeat.

Put it this way.  The moment I manage to get out of MMR cause I’ve hit the same random dude 7 times , and finally the next new q is dual 672’s?  I hit them.

I don’t know how you play but maybe you can’t comprehend it because you deliberately hit your teammates after they leave noob grills out so what I’m describing is foreign.  Hold onto the precious godboost, I really don’t mind it actually unless it’s affecting the MMR issue I’m talking about in some way. 

Lastly, this is not vet entitlement. If you can q me as a player, I should be able to q you as a player , regardless of level.  This is currently not the case, no matter if it’s lopsided or equivalent rosters strengths. An easier team in my slice is never worth any points so we actually skip them.  If we actually want ok points, we have to hit the hardest teams , and that’s what we do.  

I agree with most of this. People say it’s a 550 problem but it’s more than that. If I use a team of boosted 5’s to start it still looks at my natural 550’s and sticks me in that MMR. Doesn’t matter what I try to use. I want to be able to see others as well as if I’m using natural 550’s and someone else is using boosted 5’s above 550 I should be able to see them.
  • illusionist_KA
    illusionist_KA Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Guy I am not missing the point, you are missing the point.

WOW. you don't get it. JRYU and I are 550 rosters. We don't need grills, or seal, or even walrus teams. what we are asking is for MMR to be wide open.  come to s5 and see how often we hit 550 and boosted teams. there are no grills in s5. however,
    what we are trying to say. for example. you get to 300 points...see 550 , 550 , 550, 550 ,550 and repeat.  regardless who those opponents are. But if you look up the leaderboard, all you see are supercharged prius rosters sitting at 870 to 1k unshielded. 

MMR needs to open up so we can see those up top and not the same people at the bottom. i would like to hit 1k points so i can get progression faster, but we are locked due to our roster and MMR. 

The problem to add, those who are on top of the leaderboard that we can't queue, that they can hit us from 0 to anything higher at any given time. we can't always retaliate because the points are not worth it.  the god boosts, exacerbated the problem. the basic rosters can get higher and bypass our mmr, all due to their roster not being in our MMR without boosts.  Boosts should be removed, or at least  increased by 25/50 levels only.  they shouldnt be able to punch above players who spent many years building their roster to 550. 

I do have 550, and i hit boosted rosters all the time. but the time spent hitting them, is getting worse and slower. I do not want to keep fighting PVE CN over and over again. it's getting stale and old.

PVP was not meant to be played with LINE or outside communication. you play to hit anyone at anytime.  that means i should see you and your 450 roster at any given moment. no grills , no cheat codes, no buddy buddy system.

SO if you want the boosts to stay, ask the devs if they can open up MMR so the 550 rosters can see the unshielded boosted players in the top of the leaderboard from 0. That will help the veteran players out so much. 

• HoundofShadow
    Options
    Allowing  550 to see 450 rosters means it will become a trickle down effect. Then, 450 roster will see 4* players team and so on. MMR is based on unboosted level. Shifting mmr to boosted means the entire playerbase gets affected.