How would you prefer Scarlet Spider be released?

Options
fight4thedream
fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
While I am happy to see Ben Reilly finally make his MPQ debut, I won't deny a part of me wishes it was as Scarlet Spider. Be that as it may, it does leave the door open for the other Parker clone brother, Kaine, to take on the Scarlet Spider mantle which would be awesome. So out of curiosity, I was wondering how the community would like to see Scarlet Spider in MPQ? 

Considering the dev team's plan to reintroduce 3* with 5* character releases, I have taken the liberty of including the potential *5/3* combo.

How would you prefer Scarlet Spider be released? 24 votes

5* Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly)/ 3* Scarlet Spider (Kaine Parker)
12%
Alfje17Weirdnerd2009ProfShoehorn 3 votes
5* Scarlet Spider (Kaine Parker)/ 3* Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly)
12%
fight4thedreamKrossBriMan2222 3 votes
Costume for Chasm
16%
danielrandkaiKGBMadroxSuperCarrot 4 votes
4* Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly)
25%
Seasick PiraterevskipGodzillafan67Dok12BradUFsamael64 6 votes
4* Scarlet Spider (Kaine Parker)
8%
helix72658_2 2 votes
Other
25%
KwahderJHawkIncDAZ0273MegaBeeOmegasedEienRyuu 6 votes

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other
    I vote never. We don't need two. I find it bizarre that somehow a character who was so utterly hated from a storyline so convoluted and poorly written at the time has gained this sort of cult stasis and is now beloved. I have no problem with Chasm but Ben Reilly represents the very worst excesses of 90s Marvel to me which brought the Company to its knees and I can't help resent him for it.It is like asking me if I wanted Force Works back or Angel Punisher or to gouge my  eyes out with a spoon. Pass me that spoon! 

I do like the artwork on Chasm though from the preview and maybe Ben will be better being something else, a bit like Jason Todd was a terrible Robin but as Red Hood he is pretty cool.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 546 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2022
    Options
    My actual vote would be 3* Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly) solo, and I really like that classic torn hoodie look. I hope that the 5/3 combos aren't going to be X/X releases because I'd like to collect more Marvel characters and less dupes. (I also hope that they're expanding the 3* tier so that there will a better divide in the game for players wishing to spend more time and have fun in 3* land.)

DAZ0273 said:
    I vote never. We don't need two. I find it bizarre that somehow a character who was so utterly hated from a storyline so convoluted and poorly written at the time has gained this sort of cult stasis and is now beloved. I have no problem with Chasm but Ben Reilly represents the very worst excesses of 90s Marvel to me which brought the Company to its knees and I can't help resent him for it.It is like asking me if I wanted Force Works back or Angel Punisher or to gouge my  eyes out with a spoon. Pass me that spoon! 

I do like the artwork on Chasm though from the preview and maybe Ben will be better being something else, a bit like Jason Todd was a terrible Robin but as Red Hood he is pretty cool.
    You're putting a whole lot of Marvel baggage on poor ol' Ben! The Clone Saga was an overly long, overly dramatic, overly complicated storyline, but it doesn't mean that an interesting character can't come from such a tortured tale. On its face, there is a better story of what it means to be a clone with the same memories and abilities as the original. I think that some of the love comes into play because people got to have "their" Spider-Man instead of their "dad's" Spider-Man; sort of like those people who prefer Kyle Rayner over Hal Jordon.

A number of characters had four titles, but Punisher always seemed to be the cash grab when he hit four titles during that time (one of them quarterly). Everybody was guilty of gimmick covers, though some titles/offices abused that more than others. Compared to many comic's Enquirer-level sensational storylines, even with the "revelation" that Peter is the real deal, the Clone Saga isn't the same bait-and-switch material as a lot of the other morass.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other
    My actual vote would be 3* Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly) solo, and I really like that classic torn hoodie look. I hope that the 5/3 combos aren't going to be X/X releases because I'd like to collect more Marvel characters and less dupes. (I also hope that they're expanding the 3* tier so that there will a better divide in the game for players wishing to spend more time and have fun in 3* land.)

DAZ0273 said:

You're putting a whole lot of Marvel baggage on poor ol' Ben! The Clone Saga was an overly long, overly dramatic, overly complicated storyline, but it doesn't mean that an interesting character can't come from such a tortured tale. On its face, there is a better story of what it means to be a clone with the same memories and abilities as the original. I think that some of the love comes into play because people got to have "their" Spider-Man instead of their "dad's" Spider-Man; sort of like those people who prefer Kyle Rayner over Hal Jordon.

A number of characters had four titles, but Punisher always seemed to be the cash grab when he hit four titles during that time (one of them quarterly). Everybody was guilty of gimmick covers, though some titles/offices abused that more than others. Compared to many comic's Enquirer-level sensational storylines, even with the "revelation" that Peter is the real deal, the Clone Saga isn't the same bait-and-switch material as a lot of the other morass.
    Oh I am being completely and utterly irrational and grossly unfair to Ben! I still don't get how he made it to iconic status but yes my post is a gross oversimplication, lol! Unfortunately he just stands out - the fact that the Clone Saga is responsible for the X-Office retaliation of the Age of Apocalypse (which I did like) means I should be grateful but nah!

My favourite thing about the Clone Saga is that Dan Jurgens quit because they wouldn't stop! When your lead writer is saying "Stop it, enough now!" and you don't listen then you are truly delusional!

The rules of early 90's Marvel:

1.) Does your character have stubble? Would it improve the storyline if they had stubble? (The answer is: Of course)
    2.) Wolverine. Just saying. OK Punisher then. No wait...both!
    3.) Does your crossover have a crossover? I think it could use more crossover.
    4.) Look the kids will eventually like Nomad and that kid he carries around with him. Add more holograms.
    5.) It doesn't matter how lame they are, get them on a Trading Card NOW!

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Scarlet Spider looks like a neighbourhood punk so he can join 4* land. :D I would like to see Man-Spider in the game. At least it looks like a spider and has six arms + two legs. I can't think of any MPQ characters who have six arms that do look like human arms.

The next Spiderman Marvel/Disney is interested in pushing is Web Weaver this September, so Scarlet Spider got to wait a long while. Based on MPQ schedule, the 5* release in September is on 22nd. And September happens to have nothing going on. So, it's the perfect time to strengthen web tile metas this September in 5* land.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,526 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is not at all an option?
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There’s more than enough spidery characters in the game already, it’s enough to give you arachnophobia.
  • CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:

I had to look online to see who Chasm is, and the bio read like a daytime soap opera. But hey, new character so whatever!
  • Dok12
    Dok12 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I voted for four star scarlet, but now I wonder if three star would be better - the four star spiders - 2099, Gwen, Infinity Peter, Miles, and Silk, are really good spiders that synergize well together, but three star tier only has classic spider man who doesn't create web tiles passively and by himself is kinda rubbish. A good three star Spider Man would be fun and if good enough would still find a place in teams of web users for four/five star players 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This character falls into the "never heard of them before now, but these mechanics look good so i'll probably ride them" camp for me. But I only have a narrow few years in the 90s window of heavy comics collecting, so I wouldn't want my opinions to keep somebody else's favorite character out of the game.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Other
    5* Chasm (Ben Reilly) and 3* Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly)
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No idea who this character is, other than he died in Spider-Man first appearance. Even my husband has no idea, although he stopped whenever characters had 3 or more books a month in the 1990s or 2000s.  Spider and X titles for example. As someone said , they did it for crossover story lines forcing you to collect books you weren’t interested in .( He did not stop Original/ West Coast/ Great Lakes - Avengers because 2 were short lived. He also quit collecting for a year after Onslaught killed everyone and they did alternate reality heroes. From what I read here the Spiderverse almost requires you to have a doctorate in string theory to follow it. I’m almost glad I won’t have to deal with this character, while I love the direction the new dev team took this game , the complexity of characters would have scared me when I was a teen just starting to play games. This game is becoming adult oriented, although they are the big money spenders .
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Other
    I would have done a 3/5 Ben Reilly combo, one Scarlet Spider, one as a full spidey suit, Sensational Spider-Man or Spider-Man Beyond.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5* Scarlet Spider (Kaine Parker)/ 3* Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly)
    JHawkInc said:
    I would have done a 3/5 Ben Reilly combo, one Scarlet Spider, one as a full spidey suit, Sensational Spider-Man or Spider-Man Beyond.
    Yeah, Ben did have some really cool Spider-man costumes. His Spider-Carnage version was also amazing! 
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,656 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5* Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly)/ 3* Scarlet Spider (Kaine Parker)
    I'd been reading Avengers, Cap and a few other Marvel titles before the Clone Saga, but that was my Spidey jump on moment. I always liked Ben as I didn't care about Peter's history then.
    Reading it again a while ago, I can now see the problems with the whole Saga, but I still like Ben (and to a lesser extent Kaine). So I would like to see Ben as the Scarlet Spider in this game and Kaine would be a nice bonus.