Where to spend iso (4* or 5*)

Options
Dok12
Dok12 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
Hi friends!

I am a player slowly beginning transition into 5* land, meaning I've rostered all 4*s and collected at least 1 cover of every 5* so far. The biggest hindrance right now is iso and I am trying to figure out where best to spend it and was hoping for some advice. 

I currently have 43 unchamped 4*s - I've prioritized champing the 4*s I use regularly, as well as the ones who are feeders, but theres still about 40 waiting to be champed, many with at least 5 or 7 saved covers/shards. 43*300,000 iso each is about 12 million iso. 

On the other hand, I only have a couple of my 5*s leveled. On average, there's about 3-8 covers per character. (many classics at 1, more recent ones like Shang chi, crystal, Gargantos at 5-8 on average) I have Kitty at 11 covers, Crystal at 8, Gargantos at 9, Elektra and Abigail at about 10. I also have apocalypse at 2/2/2 and Okoye at 5/2. Right now, they aren't that effective because I've barely touched them, saving my iso on champing 4*. Leveling them now would take about 200000 to 500000 each, which i haven't been able to justify yet. 

Should I focus on using iso to champ 4*s that I barely use for the champ rewards, or skip that and start investing in the weak 5*s that I want to use in hopes that they become slightly more effective?

Thank you! 

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,066 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you've champed all the meta 4*s which it sounds like you have then it's time to start investing in the meta 5*s to level them to the 300-330 range (where I presume your top 4*s are).

KGB
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Focus on 5*. Do you play more pvps or pves?

Also, how many cps and LTs do you have? I assume you don't have a lot now seeing how your Gargantos is at 9 covers.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Champ your 4s.
    That will give you more pulls for when you really want to enter 5* land.
    Abandon the idea of finishing the 3-8 cover classics for now, it's not going to happen.
    Focus on Latest, Kk/Jane/next 5 seems a good trio to cover.
    Use the pulls you get from champing your 4s for that.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,526 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree with the champing of the 4*s, unless you can champ a 5*. Champ a 5 if it’s a good one that can carry a pair of 4*s. Save up for that one then get back to champing the other 4*s.

The new Thor if you can save up for her could likely be one.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 546 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I too got to a point of "I've got 35 4*s @ 13 covers. Who do I champ next?" My 4* favoriting and leveling is based on when they will next appear in the Crash of the Titans (excellent list: https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/wiki/crashsequence/) . I never level my 4* up to where I have less than 50k iso on hand so that I can keep my 2* and 3* farms going. 

My 5* favoriting and leveling is based on what I use and already have covers for. With Shang champed, I'm moving on to BRB because I still occasionally use the Brolaris Wonder Twins combo. Since 5* covers are few and far between, I bring BRB to his max level as soon as possible without dropping below the 50k iso floor.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 467 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Champ your 4s as it makes sense (I like to aim for the 10+ saved covers level, since you get 2 LL for it) or soft-cap your meta 5s to 330 or so until you can take a group of them higher.
  • Dok12
    Options
    Focus on 5*. Do you play more pvps or pves?

Also, how many cps and LTs do you have? I assume you don't have a lot now seeing how your Gargantos is at 9 covers.
    I play both pve and pvp to full progression, and am currently sitting on about 80 LLs and 400 cp.

Thank you all for the advice so far, even though it still seems equally split between two opinions. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Come September, you'll have to spend your iso-8 on new 3* as well. I champed my first few 5* without champing all my 4*. I probably wait till September and see if there's any other mega changes coming.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would stick with four stars as well, only because I would want to make the jump to the five star tier with at least a few fully covered good options for variety’s sake.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Putting some iso in the 5*s to level them up high enough to use with your 4* roster makes some sense.  I don't think it's time to go into level 400+ land until you have multiple very good 5*s fully covered. leveling up a 9-11 cover 5* well past your 4* roster might adversely affect your PVP experience and it likely won't make CL10 PVE much easier for your either. 
    Also, as suggested by Bowgentle, I would strongly advise you to give up on the idea of champing 3-8 classics any time soon. It's not a good idea to spend resources on old, less useful characters that have long odds of being champed anyway. IMO it's a much better plan to conserve your resources and focus them on newer, higher priority options.  
    We are near the beginning of a two month span with extremely good characters in classics  (garg, KK, fosthor, and the newly announced all passive 5*).  so if you could scrape together 100-150 LT pulls in the next six weeks that is definitely the best available option for entering 5* play soon.
  • Dok12
    Options
    Really grateful for the advice, I'll focus on champing my 4*s for now :)

It does look like there will be a very good selection in LL so I'll also wait for that 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With shards and saved covers being a thing, after you have a functional team of 4s and 5s I would stop putting iso into partial-build characters at all and just go from 70-champ on whichever 4* has the most rewards "in the bank" once you have the iso. As mentioned before, don't level your 5*s past your high leveled 4*s and you ought to be able to continue to hang out in your current PVP mmr without a lot of issues.
  • Pottsie1980
    Pottsie1980 Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Also keep an eye on which 4*s will be needed for upcoming events. Could be worth investing in these so you can complete matches quicker 
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you can champ a useful 5, champ it. If you can only put levels into the 5 but not champ it, probably better to save the iso. 

I only champ the 4s once they have 10 saved covers to get an LL or 5 cover. Otherwise I save until one of these conditions are met. That's how I went through the transition. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With shards and saved covers being a thing, after you have a functional team of 4s and 5s I would stop putting iso into partial-build characters at all and just go from 70-champ on whichever 4* has the most rewards "in the bank" once you have the iso. As mentioned before, don't level your 5*s past your high leveled 4*s and you ought to be able to continue to hang out in your current PVP mmr without a lot of issues.

Very much this.  I think it's way more useful to have a big pile of a million+ iso on hands at all times rather than pouring everything into each character as it comes in.  I basically never use any non-champed character that isn't essential. and I basically design my strategy around never needing any output from essential characters so that's never a problem.  Consequently, iso spent raising someone to soft cap is pointless for me (note this does not apply to soft-capping 5*s when you have a 4* champ roster and aren't ready to jump in to 5* land yet).