How important is fidelity to established lore to your MPQ gaming experience?

2»

Comments

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 471 Mover and Shaker
    Marvel Fan
    No-prize seeking Marvel fanboy since age 8 or so, still a current reader, so I really really like when the characters are accurately represented. I've also been playing too many puzzle games since popcap cornered the flash market (and if any of you played y!pp we probably at least knew of each other, lol).

One of the advantages this game has is that it can represent our beloved characters at different points in their history and have powers that respect those changes, though it does feel pretty bad when you feel like a character you like got their shot and totally failed. Black Knight and Puck are pretty good representations of that, both thematically on point but totally worthless in actual play.

We've also had scenarios like Big Wheel who, I agree with many others, almost definitely started as a really cool power-set and was then assigned to an f-tier character. I'd still prefer an f-tier character over some make-up nonsense like Samurai Daken or Tacopool though (especially when Cosmic Deadpool was RIGHT THERE).

It's a hard balancing act and I give credit to our new dev team for wanting to take it on, making characters that feel properly representative while also being fun to play and not being DOA can NOT be easy so I'm doing my best to be forgiving of missteps on the way; this new team seems devoted to making right where they goofed so far, so I'm choosing to have faith in them.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    These are some very specific categories / player descriptions and I think most people have aspects of multiple or are a combination and so are picking the “best fit” when they vote. But the reality is you can be a hardcore “Marvel Fan” and not be bothered that Spidey heals people with web bandages. I’ll do my best to categorize myself/create my own box. 

So, Marvel brought me here. I’ll play/try/buy just about anything Marvel. If this was just PQ I never would have downloaded the game. If it was DCPQ, I would have actively avoided it (Marvel >>>). 

So with that established, here are the things I care about in order:

1) Game Balance. This will never be perfect obviously, but no, Thanos and God Doom and Odin should not be the most powerful characters in the 5* tier. They should be on the same level as Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Okoye in their same tier. They are all 5*s. 

2) I want characters to be fun to play, unique and good. Especially my favorites. Ideally there should be no duds, but since their are, if one of my favorites gets 5* representation and is a fun and powerful character, I’m super excited- even if not comic accurate. Switch and Kamala are two of my absolute favorites that hit that mark. Magneto and Iron Man are faves on the opposite end of the spectrum. And yes it hurts more when one of “mine” flat out suck or aren’t represented at all. Here’s hoping that Daredevil and Norman (who both hit the “fun” mark) get a balance pass so they can be more powerful. 

I guess when I play this game, the Marvel allure is more about collecting these characters I grew up on and still love. When I make a match, I don’t imagine Daredevil punching a mindless one. When Hulkoye does their passive damage, I don’t even know what I’m supposed to be imagining? Hulk absorbing energy from the green door while Okoye’s cheers him on and inspires him? Her black is all about “protecting Wakanda at all costs” but Hulk is passively killing his mates. Awful storyline synergy but great combo in game. I have played a lot of marvel stuff from Ultimate Alliance to Heroclix and everything in between. If you are playing this match three game because you want to reenact or create new comic accurate battles, there are simply better games/formats for that.  

I will play a character I don’t like, care about, or know little about if they are fun to use and/or good. I hated the Eternals, but love me some Sersi in the game. Know very little about Crystal, other than she is Inhuman and dated Johnny for awhile, but love playing her kit. And we all know how great 1-issue Big Wheel and fabricated GhostPool are!
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Puzzle Quest Fan
    acescracked said:. 
    Darn... You're probably going to tell us 
    Santa isn't real now? 😞

**Mod note: Added spoiler tag. -fight4thedream

I'm amazed on this comment getting a spoiler tag.
    Are there so many kids reading the forum? Or it was enabled for some adults? :smile:
    Of course I'll try to distance my sons from gacha games with all my might. They have to do a lot of things on life before playing a gacha game. 
    But I guess that's just my personal approach. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    I care about as much as the actual comics do.  Continuity is great,  but it can and will be changed in service of coolness or the story of whatever.   If you want elaborate detailed world building, go read a song of ice and fire. Mainstream American comics have always been more short form story sketches than anything else, with new writers and artists coming in to tell me stories in the same sandbox, emphasizing or deemphasizing or retcon'ing elements to suit their purposes.
  • Dok12
    Dok12 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I would say I'm a mpq fan. I'm happy when character mechanics fit the character - when captain America's countdowns simulate his shield returning to him, or how Shang chi's abilities being more powerful when you match carefully and methodically simulates Kung fu analysis or something. 
    That said, I also love the comics, so I am a little underwhelmed by gorr, who feels like he should be much more powerful for what his title is. Kinda wish the 5* tier was restricted to godlike or eternal characters, or the most powerful/legendary incarnation of a character.