SCL10 - Will champing a new 3* be harder than a 4*?

Options
Punter1
Punter1 Posts: 725 Critical Contributor
New 3* are making a come back, but the rewards in SCL10 are not geared up for naturally  gaining 3* covers.  This means, those of us playing in SCL10 may find champing the new 3* harder than a 4*! 

It's not a big deal as if you're playing SCL10, the 3* is basically irrelevant.  More just an interesting observation in how the game has moved on since the last time a 3* was introduced.  (also I note in the Q&A that rewards changes are coming, so maybe this post is even more irrelevant!)

The SCL10 reward set-up is for 4*s making covering a new 4* relatively straightforward.  As a prog player I usually end up after their initial intro, PVP & PVE with a new 4* at 9 or 10 covers (Hulkling is at 10 today).  They are then featured again in PVE pretty quickly so are champed then.  

3* covers are still sprinkled into the rewards, but have been reduced.  With the same amount of game play I see it taking at least an extra event to get the 3* champed.

Full prog plus t50 placement in PVP & PVE:
  • 4* = 3 Covers + 1900 Shards = 7.75 covers (PVE 4.4, PVP 3.3)
  • 3* = 5 Covers + no shards (PVE 2, PVP 3)
A 2nd PVE bumps 4* up over 12 covers plus introducing shards = champed.  A 2nd 3* PVE only = 7 covers plus introducing stuff at ~9.  Even a 3rd PVE for the 3* doesn't get them champed.  

Totally a 1st world MPQ problem!!

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As soon as you can target them with shards it won’t be a problem. Nearly every cover pull gives shards for a 3*. It takes less than a week to take a 3* from 1 cover to champ in my experience. It might slow down if the 3* gets very diluted though.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 725 Critical Contributor
    Options
    dianetics said:
    As soon as you can target them with shards it won’t be a problem. Nearly every cover pull gives shards for a 3*. It takes less than a week to take a 3* from 1 cover to champ in my experience. It might slow down if the 3* gets very diluted though.
    But that messes with my looooong game of sharding 3* Doc Ock to get Carnage to get 5* Doc Ock finally finished!!

I know the 3* can still be finished relatively easily, but without favoriting, it's not as easy as a 4* when you regularly play SCL10.  
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you have to use shards to champ new 3-stars, then you won't be selecting 3-star favorites that feed particular 4-stars that feed targeted 5-stars. That said, the reality is that I only need the new 3-star rostered for essentials. Having them champed will make no difference in any of my matches.

I'm probably more concerned with the additional HP required to purchase roster slots for characters that I may need, but won't use.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The dev mentioned improving DDQ rewards and adding a node or two to them. 

Every new 3* will be a feeder as well.