Tips for Heroic Gargantos

Options
KGB
KGB Posts: 3,066 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2022 in MPQ General Discussion
There is another thread dedicated to complaining about the event so this one is for tips for helping defeat him (beyond the obvious deny Blue and get a Whales team up - LOL).

1) Boost +1 AP all colors. This is probably the most important thing you can do because his 1 turn CD gets placed automatically and if it expires and you have 0 AP (like at the start of battle) he hits you for an annoying chunk of damage. As long as you have 1 AP, you take no damage so this gives you a turn or 2 grace to get your own AP via matches or match his CD.

2) Match his CD when possible and when you can't, look to make sure you have at least 1 AP in the color it's expiring on so you avoid damage. So that means hunting for a match in that color if you have 0 AP in it.

3) Avoid using the Dark Avengers who create weak special tiles (2/3* Daken, 2/3* Bullseye) because that means you are going eat some serious damage from his Black that only costs 3 AP.

4) Equip your Chewie support. At Rank 4 mine creates a 369 tile so even if Garg reduces it 2 times via his Black it won't go under the threshold (it will in later rounds like 6-8 but not the early ones). Getting a few hundred or thousand extra damage per turn adds up in the early rounds (1-4).

5) Agent Venom, 5* Yelena and 5* Daken are classified as 'heroes'. That means they get access to some supports the other characters can't:
A) A Rank 3 Lockheed reduces damage from enemy powers (my R4 reduces by 1451). It won't help  a ton vs his Blue but it will reduce the annoying passive damage from having 0 AP when his CD expires so you can let that character tank if you are about to eat some damage.
2) Carols Communicator can create 2 strong protect tiles (R3 its 45% for 600 strength). That can help with match and power damage and will be immune to his Black until he fires it several times because of the high strength. Also this support provides true healing when matching your own special tiles (works well if another character has Chewie).

6) Other supports like Black Widow batons massively increase match damage (Purple) even at R1 and many others give +X AP at battle start (to help combat his CD draining damage).

KGB

P.S. My alliance is in round 4 now and so far I've had my L300 Yelena die twice (once from Blue, once worn down from damage over multiple boss battles) and no other deaths (L300 Agent Venom and Scorpion are my other 2 characters). She has Lockhead and Venom has Chewie.

Comments

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've put this in the other thread, but will repost here

This is certainly going to be a big PUZZLE style event, trying to find combos with teams that you may not usually use.
    I've found a few things that I think will be helpful, and I think most with deep rosters will do ok.

My roster of DAs are
    Green Goblin 3/4/3
    Yelena 1/1/2 (i skipped her during hoarding)
    Sam Daken - Loaner is better (also skipped)
    all 4's champed, with Scorpion, Venom, & Agent Venom between 315 - 332.

I found against Gargs, Scorpion/Venom/3daken is a good team. Scorpion thrives with people pumping out moves, so Daken will mean Gargs will fire his black (did I see it only cost 3, or am I going mad?, just be aware of the damage). This will remove some of Dakens strike tiles, but that's cool.

Scorpion is the MVP Get him Purple and green ASAP.

on later rounds bring an ALL AP BOOST. that'll mitigate Gargs damage the first few turns.

Supports are hugely important below are the ones I've found very helpful. Since the teams are mostly classed as villains they are limited, but a few as below are a good start.

Corvus Glaive (rank4) - 61% chance to start with 2 purple AP, 17% chance to damage at the start of turn (which will trigger Venoms yellow)
    Quantum Realm (rank3) - 37% chance to start with 5 purple AP 
    Atlantis (rank3. was last months puzzle quest) - 53% Chance to start with 5 green AP
    Yaro Root (rank3) - 53% chance to start with 5 Green AP
    Chewie - Chip damage as always
    Chimichanga / Shuri's Lab - will generate red, but can only equip to Heros (Yelena/Venom/Sam Daken) No good to me, as Daken is the only real red user, but could be a game changer for someone with him champed.

That's all I've found so far, but that's helped a lot of the lower rounds (our alliance is halfway thru round4).

I think with the above we should be able to limp through, but it's certainly a challenge.

• Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2022
    Options
    And additionally Agent Venom is my all-star, since his black can one-shot Gargantos and is so cheap, especially if you bring in AP to start (which I highly recommend, as mentioned above). My alliance is in round 5 and we’ve noticed his health didn’t change between round 4 and 5 and is still at 12,432 which means you can one shot him with both AV and Scorpion. Here’s hoping the health doesn’t increase in rounds 6-8. 

Edit: in round 6, he has 14,586 health, so a bit more but nothing drastic. Still able to one-shot him or at least get him very low with a couple additional matches killing him off. Though I did realize my AV is level 452 and my Scorpion is level 399 (both boosted obviously), so that might mean I’m hitting harder than others who aren’t champed or aren’t as high. But I still think it’s doable for sure. 

Edit: in round 7 he has 16,979 health. 

Edit: in round 8 he has 19,408 health. Definitely couldn’t one shot him any more, but making 5-6 moves and firing a power got him. I didn’t lose any of the matches and only used 2 health packs the entire round when he got lucky with some cascades and fired his blue (when I brought Daken but didn’t get a chance to clear the strikes). 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Considering most players don't seem to get past Round 1 boss, here are some teams that work for me. From 3/6 wins in round 1, I won 6/6 rounds in Round 3.

For Round 3 and below:
    The core team are 3* Daken & Bullseye with Scorpion/Sentry/Ragnarok. I have support equipped for most and I think most are gotten via Puzzle Op.
    +2 blue ap (and +2 green ap and +2 yellow ap if you want to)

Daken:
    1) create strike tiles to increase damage
    2) remove strike tiles and deal damage
    3) reduce the number of blue tiles by 2

Bullseye 
    1) to fire his purple using Daken's strike tiles.

Ragnarok
    1) to create blue for Daken using his red
    2) to tank

Sentry
    1) To tank
    2) to fire his yellow and create strong strike tile

Scorpion
    1) to increase damage output
    2) increase strength of Daken's strike tiles

Here are the videos:
    All are 3* except Scorpion (4*)

Daken/Ragnarok/Bullseye
    Https://streamable.com/tqknqx

Daken/Scorpion/Bullseye
    Https://streamable.com/zxof7s

Daken/Sentry/Bullseye
    Https://streamable.com/8moque
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2022
    Options
    After 12 battles today I lost Samurine once in a level 4 multiple battles. I’ve followed most , not all , of KGB battle strategy , so far . I don’t have double G so I could not have glidered him. I also have neither Venoms nor the 3* DA’s so I’m basically left with only one decent team but it hasn’t been a problem yet.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I use my R4 Kra-Van which increases blue match damage by 322. This way, I deal at least some significant damage when denying blue.
  • 67IronMan
    67IronMan Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Big thanks to everyone who has posted helpful advice, videos, etc. I don't have Scorpion or any 5*s so trying to make due with loaners and 2*/3* characters. Struggled the first couple rounds until implementing all the tips and gaining experience with Sam Daken. I've substituted my own 3* Bullseye for the loaner and have been able to beat the Boss every time the last few rounds combined with loaner Sam Daken and Venom. Missions are getting harder but I use all loaners first time through. Either I get lucky or count it as a free preview of the node, then adjust roster as needed. Just wanted to express my appreciation for this community and all the helpful strategy tips. It has made this event bearable.
  • scottishhaig
    scottishhaig Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    67IronMan said:
    Big thanks to everyone who has posted helpful advice, videos, etc. I don't have Scorpion or any 5*s so trying to make due with loaners and 2*/3* characters. Struggled the first couple rounds until implementing all the tips and gaining experience with Sam Daken. I've substituted my own 3* Bullseye for the loaner and have been able to beat the Boss every time the last few rounds combined with loaner Sam Daken and Venom. Missions are getting harder but I use all loaners first time through. Either I get lucky or count it as a free preview of the node, then adjust roster as needed. Just wanted to express my appreciation for this community and all the helpful strategy tips. It has made this event bearable.
    Well said!  I also want to thank the posters for the tips.  I won't make progression due to early losses against the squid, but I have played all rounds and I have received a Scorpion cover so far.  I also got the red ISO reward which allowed me to max out a 5* support which is cool.

I'm sitting @ 607,547 in round 6 (we won't likely reach round 7).  3rd in my alliance (won't make progression either).  There are only 3 of us that seem to be actively participating.

Part of my frustration is the RNG nature of the game.  I have to start laughing when G gets a board shuffle on it's turn and of course there's a blue match 5 that then cascades and takes out whichever poor fool was in front.  :D.  Then next turn there goes the blue power and another is down.  I'm sure I had my share of luck, but it's easier to remember the bad versus the good.

I think part of why we're seeing so many vent their anger @ this event is that same RNG.  It only exacerbates the challenge of this particular event.

I will also say that this event has opened my eyes as to the effectiveness of supports and boosts.  I mean I knew boosts were helpful, but that +1 AP was a life saver against G on many rounds.  I also realized that my team ups were/are garbage.  Need to be more selective when hoarding those.

Anyway - can't say I'm sorry to see this one end, but the good definitely outweighed the bad so I'm looking forward to seeing what the devs come up with next!  :)  

• 67IronMan
    67IronMan Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks to forum tips and strategy, I am 4,000 pts away from individual progress with 3 more missions left in this set, so should be in the bag. I've played the whole event with all loaners on mission nodes. For Boss battles, I'm using the loaned Samurai Daken + loaned Venom + my own 3* Bullseye at LVL 226. Regardless of your roster, this is manageable if you study the recommended strategies and optimize the loaners' strengths. I've only used team-ups a couple times, but those can take you pretty far if you need it. Have I won every Boss battle? No. But, those I lost started with 10 blue on the board, got unlucky Garg cascade, etc.