Marvel Puzzle Quest Developer Q&A June 2022 - Answers (6/20/22)

2»

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards

You brought gifts with you. I'm pretty sure most of us here can be bought off.
    Cool new stepdad tactics ftw lol
  • Scorpion201
    Scorpion201 Posts: 57 Match Maker
    What's the point of bringing 3 stars back, there just going to get hammered by 5 stars.  i think  they needs to be different sims for 3,4 and 5.. at least the 5 stars need to be locked out of 3 pvp's. im tired of 5 star champs and soft cap player punching down on 3 and 4 tiers
  • Domitronas
    Domitronas Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Thank you for answering so many of these! 

I just wonder, do we have to ask the question again if it wasn't picked up for answer yet or will you be drawing from the total pool of unanswered questions?
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,488 Chairperson of the Boards
    tonypq said:
    Any chance a change would ever be made with new 5* characters to get their own individual store and not lumped in with with previous new releases ?

I really think it's about time to end the trio of 5s in the LL store. Players should be able to spend their valuable resources on the characters they want without having to be forced to pull for characters they dislike. With how hit or miss new characters are, it's a really buzz kill at end game to have to keep wasting tokens and CPs on characters you really don't like in order to get the one you actually do want. If the developers are afraid some characters wouldn't get used unless lumped into a trio in LLs as we have now, simply make the characters better so players want them in the first place lol. 
    It's ok to have stores of different types, there could always be trio stores with multiple characters, but it would be a breath of fresh air if new 5s had their own limited store you can use your tokens and CPs on.

I disagree - the "every LT store has a Trio" does add something valuable to the game - it allows players to roster/complete/improve the older 5*s.  Without them, it would be all but impossible for newer players to finish the older 5*s, and I guarantee that the vets will lean hard into a special store that features Shang-Chi, Apocalypse, Scarlet Witch, or Colossus.  Your gripe is, I think, a symptom of the fact that there are some real duds in the 5* tier - ones you won't use even when they're boosted, and if they continue to do improvements hopefully that will be less of a factor.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2022
    GrimSkald said:
    tonypq said:
    Any chance a change would ever be made with new 5* characters to get their own individual store and not lumped in with with previous new releases ?

I really think it's about time to end the trio of 5s in the LL store. Players should be able to spend their valuable resources on the characters they want without having to be forced to pull for characters they dislike. With how hit or miss new characters are, it's a really buzz kill at end game to have to keep wasting tokens and CPs on characters you really don't like in order to get the one you actually do want. If the developers are afraid some characters wouldn't get used unless lumped into a trio in LLs as we have now, simply make the characters better so players want them in the first place lol. 
    It's ok to have stores of different types, there could always be trio stores with multiple characters, but it would be a breath of fresh air if new 5s had their own limited store you can use your tokens and CPs on.

I disagree - the "every LT store has a Trio" does add something valuable to the game - it allows players to roster/complete/improve the older 5*s.  Without them, it would be all but impossible for newer players to finish the older 5*s, and I guarantee that the vets will lean hard into a special store that features Shang-Chi, Apocalypse, Scarlet Witch, or Colossus.  Your gripe is, I think, a symptom of the fact that there are some real duds in the 5* tier - ones you won't use even when they're boosted, and if they continue to do improvements hopefully that will be less of a factor.
    I understand where you're coming from and you seem to get my gripes also. You make a valid point definitely, I can see your point of view.

That being said it's still really lame in a game you need 13 covers to even finish a character and be fully effective and playable, to have to waste resources on characters you don't want. 

If they're going to bring  back introduction events, it would be nice if that character could get their own limited latest legend store where you can choose to use your tokens and points on just that one character. Instead of the limited store where you have a one in a million chance to get a cover with HPs, just make thise same stores able to use LL tokens and CPs as well. They could still keep the current trio latest legend store as is, would be no harm done to anyone.

Nothing wrong with being able to have a choice which characters you'd like to chase and which one would prefer to skip entirely. It would be nice to have more control over your roster development. Even if every *5 coming out was actually decent, it still sucks not being able to fully pick and choose which characters you want to aim for or take a pass on.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don’t you have the opportunity to buy covers outright for 500 CP each? I mean if you don’t want old 5* I’m guessing you’re not really interested in old 4*s either. You just want the one character you want and want to invest your resources that way. If so, there is a path for that. It’s more expensive, but it should be if you are going to target just that one character and get exactly who you want. This game has to have a “slot machine” component because that’s what the whole gacha model is built on. They aren’t going to change that. If you’re okay with more dilution (ie classics) you pay less. If you you want less dilution, you’re going to pay more. 
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Don’t you have the opportunity to buy covers outright for 500 CP each? I mean if you don’t want old 5* I’m guessing you’re not really interested in old 4*s either. You just want the one character you want and want to invest your resources that way. If so, there is a path for that. It’s more expensive, but it should be if you are going to target just that one character and get exactly who you want. This game has to have a “slot machine” component because that’s what the whole gacha model is built on. They aren’t going to change that. If you’re okay with more dilution (ie classics) you pay less. If you you want less dilution, you’re going to pay more. 
    I'm not really talking about classics. That ship has sailed as far as any new implementations to make covering them easier for those who didn't play, or didn't have resources at the time for latest legend pulls. 

I'm focusing more on the new 5*s. And regardless how they split or pair characters in stores, there will always be a slot machine aspect with RNG. Doesn't mean they have to make new character acquisition something that forces you to take on unwanted or bad characters in order to get the ones a player wants and to build their roster up with.
  • bladewing
    bladewing Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2022
    One simple question for the next Q&A: Will the maximum Shield Rank be increased?

I've read that the max Rank is 300. I've been farming a few 1-star characters for XP to aid me in reaching Rank 120 so that I can finally play SCL10. Now that I am on the brink of doing so, can you please let me know if the cap will be raised for Shield Ranks? I will stop farming 1star characters if the max remains at 300.

Is it possible to eliminate the max for Shield Rank?

Thanks in advance for answering my query.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    bladewing said:
    One simple question for the next Q&A: Will the maximum Shield Rank be increased?

I've read that the max Rank is 200. I've been farming a few 1-star characters for XP to aid me in reaching Rank 120 so that I can finally play SCL10. Now that I am on the brink of doing so, can you please let me know if the cap will be raised for Shield Ranks? I will stop farming 1star characters if the max remains at 200. 

Is it possible to eliminate the max for Shield Rank?

Thanks in advance for answering my query.
    It's 300.
  • bladewing
    bladewing Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2022
    Thank you for the info!! Will edit my comment 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Trust me, you won't reach 300 in the next 3 years.
    With heavy play you'll get maybe 3 levels per month.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker

Here’s most of the highlights in terms of “the roadmap”. This is SO MUCH stuff!

Feeders:

• Still determining what to do about characters that don't feed/ aren't fed
    • (Don’t want Shardmas 2.0)
    • Every character created going forward is planned to function as a feeder (even if no narrative connection exists). 

Supports:

• Supports are being overhauled
    • Looking at how they are 1) acquired 2) upgraded and 3) impact gameplay
    • Plan on releasing more of them on a predictable release cadence after the overhaul
    • No more characters (e.g., Wong, Sharron, Hulkling) as supports. Going to change the skins to something else but keep the powers the same. 

Deadpool’s Daily Quest:

• Changing in September
    • 7 day format coming
    • More pins (3*/4* nodes) being added
    • Rewards will be reworked and improved to account for 7 day format and the cost of new 3*s

PVP:

• Hard to change without creating a ripple effects
    • However, the wins charge (50 down from 75) isn’t the last change we’ll see

Daily Quests:

• Getting an update to be recurrent with events

UI / Quality of Life Upgrades:

• Working hard to establish a lexicon so abilities are more clear and consistent
    • The cap for boosts is going to be “greatly increased”

Big ideas:

• Prefer rock/paper/scissors gameplay and counters to nerfs
    • 6*s are not “anywhere on the roadmap right now” (thank god)

I appreciate your round up!

Feeders: Get shardmas over and at least catch up to the last year of releases, it's egregious that some of these have gone without for so long and OH NO! people get an "extra" cover or LL or two or whatever, this will not break the game. Just backfeed the 5* covers and shards.

It's also easy to create links. Puck has no real connection to Colossus except for this: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Piotr_Rasputin_(Earth-7475) if I'm not the only one that found that, you win a no-prize!

Supports: This all sounds good, please carry on.

DDQ: Likewise, though you may want to balance daily time spent for the folks that only want to log in for a couple minutes each day?

PVP: 50 wins is a good start, please god do something about MMR! I've got very small 4* champ alliance mates that can't find a single match without a boosted 5. I don't have a single champed 5 and yet 90% of the matches I get are vs rosters with multiple champed (at times boosted) 5s. It sucks to be forced to play uphill when larger MMR "lands" get a more level playing field. MY suggestions on this front are very firm, either compress the slices so more opponents are possible, remove shielding invisibility but not point loss, add actual seed teams for dead brackets. Any of these would be positive.

Quests: More is good, thanks.

UI/QOL: The lexicon is mostly on you, dudes. Under the previous regime it was mostly codified, shoring up differences and continuing that on is good. Not buying boosts every handful of fights would be nice.

Big: r/p/s yes, thanks, you're smarties. 6 is dumb and I hope you never have to address that again.