Character Rebalance - ***** Star-Lord (Awesome Mix Volume 2) *****

2»

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is how all the rebalances should be. Time and time again we heard how all anyone wanted was a boost to the health and match damage. Perfect, as a bonus they lowered AP cost on a power too.

This is far better than boosting them to near meta. If they did that you get crying about not having enough resources to champ latest and go back and cover someone you may have missed or wasn’t fortunate enough to be playing when they were released.

If you boost them all to the point they are “now useful when boosted” you may as well then remove the boost.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’ve started using Star Lord when he is buffed; his yellow really could turn a tide on a cascade team. He may be interesting with Sersi now.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 764 Critical Contributor
    still no rebalance for thanos on match damage then ?? He currently matches at 700 and 600s for me and mine is level 459, 

him and a lot of the earlier 5*s have terrible match damage compared to the new ones , so with this rebalance you have starlord now with higher match damage than thanos who is much more powerful 

hopefully poor thanos and friends will find some rebalance love soon 🙂
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I seem to recall high match damage was Star Lord's gimmick at release too, but i wasn't a 5* player in those days so I don't have a good muscle memory for how he compared to what was then current. He came out shortly before or after thano5 if I remember correctly?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    His green still needs a damage boost. 

Yellow is still fine at level 3.  I can’t imagine too many people use Star Lord yellow for his healing.  If level 5 converted more tiles then it might be worth it.

still 3,5,5 for me and only used on essential nodes
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    (Snipped)……so with this rebalance you have starlord now with higher match damage than thanos who is much more powerful 

hopefully poor thanos and friends will find some rebalance love soon 🙂
    Clearly Star Lord’s plan to defeat Thanos worked …… until he punched him in the face, causing Mantis to lose her hold.  
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Exactly in the line with the other boosts that took low/mid tier characters and made them solidly mid-tier.  Definitely not a bad thing for the game but also feels a bit underwhelming, like maybe the dev resources spent on these reworks could be better spent somewhere else (eg reworking the trash tier entirely).

Two other things seem worth noting to me: (1) that SL now has the highest match damage in the game, fwiw; and (2) the editorial blurb for the yellow rework strongly implies that demi/d3 think burst healing is useful and that a player would ever use this power for the purpose of burst healing, which just seems like more grist for the "demi/d3 don't seem to have a great grasp of the MPQ elder game" mill.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    Vhailorx said:
    Exactly in the line with the other boosts that took low/mid tier characters and made them solidly mid-tier.  Definitely not a bad thing for the game but also feels a bit underwhelming, like maybe the dev resources spent on these reworks could be better spent somewhere else (eg reworking the trash tier entirely).

Two other things seem worth noting to me: (1) that SL now has the highest match damage in the game, fwiw; and (2) the editorial blurb for the yellow rework strongly implies that demi/d3 think burst healing is useful and that a player would ever use this power for the purpose of burst healing, which just seems like more grist for the "demi/d3 don't seem to have a great grasp of the MPQ elder game" mill.
    Going down a rabbit hole here but let's face it perhaps burst healing powers aren't really intended for players and instead as an ability for AI to make it slightly more difficult for players in the long haul.  Since burst healing isn't permanent, you still need to use those health packs over time, even with burst healing during the match. I know some players have said burst healing has saved a match for them....it has never in my six plus years of playing ever won me a match that I can recall.  Burst healing seems like a better defense/enemy node power than a benefit as a player power since if it slightly keeps the AI around for another two or three turns, it may be just enough time for the AI to get off one last power that damages the player's team.  This game is heavily based on attrition for the player and no attrition whatsoever for the AI.  

I know there are probably somewhat effective burst healing combos but since I have access to most team combos, I of course prioritize AP gathering and damage first.  I did use 5* Doom quite a bit when he came out but the difference there is that his burst healing is permanent (with AP steal), which is better than the temporary group burst healing.  
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Its been a long time since I've needed to use it,  but with kitty/brb/medusa the burst heal from medusa has taken that team from almost dead to full health on more than one challenge node.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    It's like using a poison attack offensively in an RPG - those attacks hurt players because they linger over time. they don't hurt random encounter enemies because they are essentially gone from existence when you leave the combat. burst heal is kind of a weird inverse of that in that they allow for a pyrrhic victory that has you limping out the other side but still needing heavy medical attention.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well the only team that I’ve used that really utilized burst healing was BRB/Rescue/Wasp. If you cross Wasp’s threshold for healing in her black passive, she makes 2 wasp tiles for free.