$2,000 (US) in a day

Akoni
Akoni Posts: 790 Critical Contributor
I'm not a whale (by far), but I've decided that I will spend $2,000 if something very specific happens. Why? Boredom, mostly. I figured it might peak some interests. Also, because the conditions are gonna be a little outrageous. For this to happen, the devs would need to make an effort for these conditions to take place. I don't believe they will, but I'm doing it anyway because, why not?

I plan on spending up to $2,000 in a single day if the devs release specific characters between March 19, 2022 at 4:00pm EST (now) and January 1, 2024 at 12:00am EST (end of 2023). A character will be considered "released" when covers or shards are made available in-game via events, recruit store, offers, vaults, or Resources Shop.

To make it exciting, multiple layers will exist with different values for each. The purchase(s) will be made via the Resources Shop and/or Offers. The purchases will be made within a single 24 hour period no later than 7 days following the deadline.

Tier-1
Condition: If 1 or more of the following characters are released before the deadline, I will spend $200.
  • Omega Red
  • Sebastian Shaw
Tier-2
Conditions: If 3 or more characters with at least 1 from Tier-1 and 1 from Tier-2 are released before the deadline, I will spend $500. This condition supersedes and voids the condition from Tier-1.
  • Captain Britain
  • May "Mayday" Parker
  • Franklin Richards
Tier-3
Conditions: If 5 or more characters with at least 1 from Tier-1, 1 from Tier-2, and 1 from Tier-3 are released before the deadline, I will spend $800. This condition supersedes and voids the conditions from Tier-1 and Tier-2.
  • Sage
  • The Spot
  • Spiral
  • Tinkerer
Tier-4
Conditions: If 12 or more characters with at least 1 from Tier-1, 1 from Tier-2, 1 from Tier-3, and 1 from Tier-4 are released before the deadline, I will spend $1200. This condition supersedes and voids the conditions from Tier-1, Tier-2, and Tier-3.
  • Santa Claus
  • Gorr the God Butcher
  • Doop
  • Hope Summers
  • Kang the Conqueror
Tier-5
Conditions: If all characters from Tier-1, Tier-2, Tier-3, and Tier-4 are released before the deadline, I will spend $2,000. These conditions supersede and void the conditions from Tier-1, Tier-2, Tier-3, and Tier-4.

Wildcard
Conditions: The following characters are wildcards. If all 3 characters are released before the deadline, each one will act as a substitute to meet the conditions of Tier-3 or Tier-4.
  • Emma Frost (Phoenix Five)
  • Magik (Phoenix Five)
  • Namor (Phoenix Five)
Tagged:

Comments

• supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Question, your honor. Are you a lawyer? :-)
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know if this sets the kind of precedent we want set. But kudos to you for having the gumption.
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    The thread title made me think spammers were taking advantage of a loophole that might have come with the forum updates.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    This opens the possibility of being allowed to bribe the devs to release the characters you want regardless of the thousands of other players who would not want these characters , would want different characters, or would still want Disney to choose who is being released . I’m actually surprised Disney would even consider $2K as significant incentive to change their promotional agenda. It also opens up the possibility of counter offers , such as someone stating “ I will pay $2500 if none of these characters are released in the next 2 years” I know my alliance alone would fork that over. 
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I stopped reading at Omega Red....
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    We still have about 43 releases to go. Given that majority of releases are dictated by Marvel, we can figure out the probability of your spending.

We had a "vote your next character" survey earlier this year and it is said that all characters in that survey will be released in the future anyway. Assuming that is true, we have 7 releases in line. 

We have 6 movie releases up till end 2023, and typically there are 2 tie-ins. 12 spots are reserved for movie tie-ins.

As for TV series, we have 5 coming up in 2022 and 5 more in 2023. Usually, there's about 1-2 tie-in. Let's assume 10 until end of 2023.

There are tie-in for comic release too but that is uncommon. Let's assume 1 tie-in per quarter and that's 7 more until 2023. 

The total number of characters dictated by Marvel and characters from surveys to be released until end 2023 is 7+12+10+7 = 36.

43-36 = 7

You've 15 characters to fulfill your $2000 condition. However, two of them are already designated as Supports in game. I'm not familiar with many in your list and I think Franklin Richards and Kang the Conqueror have the potential to be part of the 29 Marvel tie-ins.

Given your conditions and the designated tie-in from Marvel, the probability of you spending $2000 is zero. There's a 50% chance of you spending $200 and potential chance of you spending $500. The rest are close to zero.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I must say the premise of the OP is ridiculous. Perhaps this was a joke thread? That would make more sense, but I read it seriously.  Anyway, the devs aren’t going to cater to the whims of any one person (especially for the bribe of just $2000).  They get $2000 from just buy clubs everyday.  
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 471 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2022
    I'm hoping it's a fun excuse for a wish-list thread; Omega Red has been meme'd hard here and actually has a pretty big role in a current x-book arc so he's surprisingly become rather possible. I think we had all of one person going hard for Silk for every new announcement and not only did she arrive but she's one of the best web-users. Kang is almost definite at some point. Betsy Captain Britain has current relevance so I'd give her a far shot as well. I'd love seeing more phoenix 5 but we all know how much d3 feels about completing sets... Namor surely deserves better though.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    The funny thing is that Omega Red was a recent release on one of the other Marvel games.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gorr and Kang as the bosses in new alliance events that tie into the next Thor film and the multiverse stuff.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    It's good that you specified US currency. Would have been a lot cheaper if you meant Guyanese dollars
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd never feel motivated to support more the game just on released new characters. 
    If they released new content, scl11, pvp in real time, pvps vs 4 characters, or pve survivals playing with 4 characters, then I would be totally hyped.
  • SuperCarrot
    SuperCarrot Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Great list! Omega Red should happen, but watch Bloodscream or Roughouse  somehow happen first.
  • Akoni
    supergarv said:
    Question, your honor. Are you a lawyer? :-)
    Nope, but many have suggested that I should have been one. I did study some law for my profession, but only a minimal amount was required.
    This opens the possibility of being allowed to bribe the devs to release the characters you want regardless of the thousands of other players who would not want these characters , would want different characters, or would still want Disney to choose who is being released . I’m actually surprised Disney would even consider $2K as significant incentive to change their promotional agenda. It also opens up the possibility of counter offers , such as someone stating “ I will pay $2500 if none of these characters are released in the next 2 years” I know my alliance alone would fork that over. 
    I don't think this thread was forwarded to the devs by forum administrators so the chance it could be considered bribery is slim. I don't even think devs check the forums. If we were to assume that devs check the forums or this thread was forwarded to them, then you raise an interesting point with offers and counter offers.
    You've 15 characters to fulfill your $2000 condition. However, two of them are already designated as Supports in game. ...
    I know Hope Summers is one, but as an infant. I think the possibility of an older version of her being introduced as a character is still there. There is also another version of Tinkerer so the possibility of that one exists as well. Still probably unlikely for both, though.
    bbigler said:
    I must say the premise of the OP is ridiculous. Perhaps this was a joke thread? That would make more sense, but I read it seriously.  Anyway, the devs aren’t going to cater to the whims of any one person (especially for the bribe of just $2000).  They get $2000 from just buy clubs everyday.  
    Very ridiculous. I'll follow through if it actually happened, but devs aren't going to alter any schedules to make any of this happen. It's really just for fun. Like you said, it's not serious money in the least for devs. If I added a zero to that, then maybe. I wouldn't offer up anything serious. Like @TheEyeDoctorsWife mentioned, it would set a bad precedent if players started offering money for characters. Besides, what are the chances we see Doop?
  • HoundofShadow
    MPQ's monthly revenue is $1 mil. Its revenue will be ~$24 mil for two years. 2k out of 24 mil is only 0.0083%. Try offering $3-5mil and we are talking about bribery.  >:) 

If you were to change your conditions in such a way that one released character of your dream = $100 spending, and 15 characters of your dreams released give a bonus of $500 spending, then it would be more meaningful. The value of $2k at the end of next year is only 1.67k, using 20% inflation. 

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how many of your dream characters get released when you revive this thread next year.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    MPQ's monthly revenue is $1 mil.
    Source?
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    This reads as a ransom note. TC has a good sense of humour. 
  • HoundofShadow
    Source is from appannie.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m sure we’ll get Omega Red just because there’s so much chatter on the forum about him.  He’s the running joke.  The running joke used to be Dazzler and eventually the devs gave in.  
  • Akoni
    MPQ's monthly revenue is $1 mil. Its revenue will be ~$24 mil for two years. 2k out of 24 mil is only 0.0083%. Try offering $3-5mil and we are talking about bribery.  >:) 

If you were to change your conditions in such a way that one released character of your dream = $100 spending, and 15 characters of your dreams released give a bonus of $500 spending, then it would be more meaningful. The value of $2k at the end of next year is only 1.67k, using 20% inflation. 

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how many of your dream characters get released when you revive this thread next year.
    Yeah... no. The whole thing is just for fun. It's not supposed to be enough money to catch the devs' attention. It's suppose to be interesting, but not important. It's also not suppose to be a bribe. If it were a bribe, it would have to be a lot more money and a flat offer per character. I'm not interested in such things. The devs can do whatever they want to do. They've obviously been successful doing so. Would I like all of these released? Most definitely. I've been wanting to use team Phoenix for awhile. I would play this game if not a single one of the characters on the list were released over the next year.