Thoughts after Restarting: Day 120

2»

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    Each player values spending differently. Some will always ask themselves, "what can I buy with $x instead of MPQ Offer?" The typical answer is a "complete" pc game. It all depends on how one individual put values on time and money. The main point is, context is important about how one arrives at this stage of progress.

Anyway, I found the poster who champed Apocalypse (and 29 4*) on Day 231 with minimum spending. He spent only on a starter pack that cost ~$5. New player guide + champed rewards + Apocalypse store + shards + luck allowed him to do so.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/rs4l8l/finally_champed_my_first_5_day_231_im_so_happy/

I think the saying about how new players are going to take a long time to champ Classic 5* or their first 5* can be put to rest. As a matter of fact, it's become even easier to progress quickly despite dilution.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed said:

i Remember Bad first champ 5* was Kingpin, and I suspect it must have been a difficult experience. I remember another forum player whose first champ 5* was Odin, and pvp got so difficult for him that he decided to sell Odin. 
    So really, YMMV. Depends on the champ 5* that the person has. 
    You suspect well. It was a frustrating green-hunger experience. 
    There is another fact that nowadays thanks  to shards is a bit hard to notice: if you don't have the 3 powers you can't pay 720 cps to unlock the one you miss so it will be a 10 cover 5* if you have only 2 powers.
    That was a huge gap before, for that reason I had to choose kingping instead of kitty.
    Right now as long as you choose a good 5* and a 4*(4*s take so much time to max them too) you can make a great progression really fast right on the start.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Regarding my statement that anyone can do it, that just means if someone else wants to spend the same amount of time and money as me they should be able to get the same results.  The caveat is you may not get a top tier 5* as your first champ.  I believe you can still win battles with an average 5* champ, but it will be harder.  

If anyone out there has recently started the game and is not spending at all, then please enlighten us on your progression timeline.  I don’t know how long it would take to get my results without spending, but I’m betting it’s not far behind my timeline.  
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,177 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    bbigler said:

As for spending, my time is more valuable than my money.  So, I would rather spend $1000 and play the game for 6 months than spend $100 and play the game for 6 years.  That’s why I’ve quit so many times; the cost in time is way too high. 
    People have suggested to me before to cut back and play less, but I can’t stand doing less than my best, so casual play is not my thing.  When I get into a hobby, it’s all or nothing.  And this hobby is no more expensive than my others.  
    Well you've already played and quit several times. So you know that you like the game enough to spend 600 on it when you return because you are familiar with the enjoyment you are going to get from playing it. It's harder to justify for a new player who has never played MPQ before because they don't know in advance if spending 600 is going to make them like the game enough to continue playing.
    As for the all/nothing approach and doing your best, I'd suggest many players are doing that even if they don't put in the hours you do. In fact your approach reminds me of being a sprinter where you give max effort for a few seconds, rest (quit the game), then come back and repeat (run another sprint). Most of us are marathoners, doing one very long run at a slower pace but still giving max effort in order to be able to maintain that marathon pace (ie not burn out on the game and continue to make progress). Just as there is no wrong answer when picking between sprinting and distance racing, there is no wrong answer between your way of playing and ours.
    KGB
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Whats the magic number again for amount of pulls needed on LT's and or CP? Its been a loong time since i played. Is it 300 pulls?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    260 pulls if you can get 2 covers/1000 shards via scl 10. Else, 300.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    260 pulls if you can get 2 covers/1000 shards via scl 10. Else, 300.
    thank you
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    To date, I’ve pulled 249 from Latest, which has resulted in this (with the help of milestone shards): 

Odin 1/0/0
    Shang 4/5/4
    Ultron 4/4/2
    Gamora 3/5/4
    Sersi 5/3/3
    Wheel 1/1/2
    Abby 1/3/0

Hope that helps in your decision making