Opponents double-firing powers?

MegaBee
MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
Running through the Riri/IM40/Mockingbird node, and Riri just fired Magnetic Repulsors and Selfless Intervention twice in the same round. That's not supposed to happen. Has something changed?

Comments

• skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2022
    Are you sure it wasn't Mockingbird triggering them for free once and then Riri firing it herself the second time?
  • MegaBee
    Are you sure it wasn't Mockingbird triggering them for free once and then Riri firing it herself the second time?
    I thought about that. Mockingbird was downed in a cascade (Big Wheel and Onslaught do that a lot). Can Opportunist fire after Mockingbird is down?
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Why is firing each power once by the AI during a turn not supposed to happen? 
  • MegaBee
    Kolence said:
    The AI doesn't fire the same power multiple times during a turn.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    MegaBee said:
    Kolence said:

The AI can't fire more than one power per color each turn, and it's always in a set sequence (it's the same sequence as the colors are displayed in the UI AP counter. I think it's yellow>red>blue>green>purple>black.)  That's why characters like IMHB are especially bad with the ai, even if they get enough black to cast their black, the ai cannot then cast red immediately because red is before black in the ai sequence; the ai will have to wait for next turn. It's also why passive ai AP gen is extra threatening; passives proc before actives. so for example carbage can collect red via his passive matches and then use that red to cast his active red immediately. A normal ai character would first have to collect the red and then wait for the next turn to cast.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Ah, so it fired twice *each* of the powers? Sorry, misunderstood you, then. 
    Yeah, that's definitely not supposed to happen, then. 
    At least that's how it has always worked. 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    MegaBee said:
    Kolence said:

The AI can't fire more than one power per color each turn, and it's always in a set sequence (it's the same sequence as the colors are displayed in the UI AP counter. I think it's yellow>red>blue>green>purple>black.)  That's why characters like IMHB are especially bad with the ai, even if they get enough black to cast their black, the ai cannot then cast red immediately because red is before black in the ai sequence; the ai will have to wait for next turn. It's also why passive ai AP gen is extra threatening; passives proc before actives. so for example carbage can collect red via his passive matches and then use that red to cast his active red immediately. A normal ai character would first have to collect the red and then wait for the next turn to cast.
    Minor note:  I think it's one power per color per character.  I've seen the AI cascade into obscene amounts of AP and then cast two different powers in the same color, from different characters.  I suspect the lower cost power has to pass the random chance check that lower cost powers have to pass to fire, so that the AI can save up for higher cost ones.
    Wild speculation here:  the lower cost power may have to be on a character that is positioned later than the highest cost power.
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 603 Critical Contributor
    MegaBee said:
    I thought about that. Mockingbird was downed in a cascade (Big Wheel and Onslaught do that a lot). Can Opportunist fire after Mockingbird is down?
    Technically, Mockingbird activates her passive when her enemy makes a match 4.  You just don't see the result until the start of her teams next turn...

... So, of she's up when the match 4 occurs, Opportunist should activate. If she goes down afterwards (in your Cascade, for example) allied powers should still activate, because she created the opening before she went down.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee said:
    Technically, Mockingbird activates her passive when her enemy makes a match 4.  You just don't see the result until the start of her teams next turn...

... So, of she's up when the match 4 occurs, Opportunist should activate. If she goes down afterwards (in your Cascade, for example) allied powers should still activate, because she created the opening before she went down.
    I'll bet that was it. Thanks!
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Wild speculation here:  the lower cost power may have to be on a character that is positioned later than the highest cost power.

I've had that save my bacon a few times in pvp.

Enemy has apoc or BRB, get enough ap to fire a high damage power, and instead used the middle loner because it had a higher cost lol