Starting a farm advice

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
I'm looking to get a farm going to maximize rewards and was looking for some advice. 

Any of you have some tips on the best way to start farming ?

I have all the 1/2/3*s champed. My 4*s I have all but 16 champed, but all the good ones champed. For 5*s I have all but 2 rostered and I have all the metas champed. Currently I've got 256 roster slots unlocked and filled. I also have 719 elite tokens stocked up. Been building elite tokens up in case I was going to start rostering a bunch of 3* dupes. 

So far the only farming I've tried is a few 3* dupes, Rocket, Gamora and Colossus. I wasn't sure the best way to really get the farming going. Whether I'd sell all my champed 1&2*s and start farming them fresh. Or concentrate more on 3*s who net more LL tokens, CPs, and 4* covers&shards. I don't use my 1/2*s unless one of those special events comes around where you need a character from each rank. 

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Technically, Farm simply means selling your max champion and restarting your char from zero.  So you really don't need to spend extra HP if your willing to take the hit on competitive play.  I.e.  Selling and restarting a char yields the same amount of rewards vs keeping a max champ and having a duplicate char for farming.  Of course there's a big competitve difference in how it plays.

That said the ideal solution with the least amount of work is having a max champed version of a char and a slot for building and selling.  If thats your goal.  Simply focus on the tiers and chars that flip the fastest.  So keep an extra slot for each 2*, then 3*, then 4*.  in terms of Chars to prioritize, buy slots for the limited chars like bagman, dino, howard, taskmaster last.  In practice, they will be the slowest chars to "flip"  There are nuances like prioritizing latest 4*, and who feeds who, but for most players, thats just forum minutia for theorcrafters.

• Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    If you want to save HP on slot buying (and you aren't a completionist) you could sell all but one 1*. There isn't really any point in having more than one 1* (for Deadpool Daily) unless you like to have all characters rostered.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I only have maxed those 3*s on LR, the others are going up and down in a endless cycle.
    And if I had to spend 2000 hp at a given point I would sell the 3*s of LR too.
    I only have spider 1* rostered and BW for TU alliance.
  • primetime21
    primetime21 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I'm sure other people can tell you the "optimal" way to do it; I'll tell you what I do for enjoyment.  I farm all my 2*s except for Bagman due to his scarcity (although eventually I'll have 2 of him fully covered, at which point I'll sell one).  When I fully champ one, I sell it and start over.

For a while, I farm 3*s but waiting until the second was fully champed before starting over.  I realized that wasn't the best way to do it and I had added a lot of roster spots.  Now I get one fully champed, and when I champ the dupe I sell the fully champed one.  Also I ended up with a ton of roster spots because I had used so many and then sold a bunch.

I used to keep 3 1*s for DDQ--Juggernaut, Black Widow, and Iron Man.  Now I have the others too because I had the roster spots.  If/when I ever run out of roster spots again, I'll sell the other 1*s.

All in all, I realize I don't need to keep 3 1*s, all the 2*s, all the 3*s champed, etc.  But I am a bit of a completionist so I'm happy with how I do things and I still think I get a lot of benefits from it.

Oh, and I'm started "farming" 4 *s, but I say that in quotes because I haven't fully champed any 4* 2x yet.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    I originally kept my 2 and 3* max champs and cycled a duplicate.  I eventually decided that the iso gained from selling max champs would be better served in champing my 4*s for the rewards. So now I keep three 2*s champed for the DDQ and sell the rest as soon as I have a duplicate. For 3*s I sell the max champ as soon as I fully cover the duplicate, even though I don’t champ them right away.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    I do the following

1*s - I have a maxed Juggs for DDQ and two unleveled 5 blue cover MBW and one unleveled 5 purple cover Spidey for sending as team ups.  4 total roster slots.  

2*s - I have three that I keep at level 144 max champed (Thor, Storm, Magneto).  I keep an unleveled copy of each of those three as well as a unleveled copy of all the other 2*s and save covers until they have accrued the 50 I need to max champ them.  Then I immediately champ and sell them.  That means I only need 16 roster slots at any given time for the 2*s.  Doing them this way means that as long as I have the 75k ISO on hand to champ they immediately show a small ISO profit along with the extra covers, shards, HP and tokens.  

3*s -  I used to just cycle them but for competitive PvP play the maxed 3* helps so now I have a fully max champed version of each 3* and a farming version.  I usually let the farming version build up 30+ covers before champing them so I get some of the cost instantly back and then cycle them through when they are max champed.  This unfortunately means devoting 94 roster slots to them which is lot.  

4*s - I am fast approaching my first set of 370 4*s with only 1 dupe, a Professor X that I rostered back before shards when I couldn't fully cover him in time to avoid having to sell covers.  I will probably end up just eating the HP cost of having dupes here too, I'm mostly post HP anyway so I can deal with the 2K slots along with slots for 2 new releases a month.  

5*s - Super far away from having dupes at this tier.  Outside of the mega whales and 8+ year vets I'm not sure many folks have to worry about this too much.  
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    revskip said:
    I do the following

5*s - Super far away from having dupes at this tier.  Outside of the mega whales and 8+ year vets I'm not sure many folks have to worry about this too much.  
    Hehe,  if your ever blessed to get to a 550 5*,  you should always start a dupe.  The 5* reward tree is amazing, a lt and 25cp every 4 levels.  Ultimately, the only covers you should sell are just 1*.  Every other cover should be rostered and harvest for champ rewards
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    The “what to do” really depends on two things:

1) Is everyone rostered? If yes, and you have essentially “caught up” then you can start to think about slots for dupes.  If no, you have to get creative with flex slots and/or destroy the max champ and rebuild.

2) What are your HP costs? If you’re no longer spending on slots outside of new releases, are you a big shield hopper? Buying boosts? Health packs? Clearing out vaults? If your HP expenses are high, then I’d still suggest two slots per character once you max them. But I wouldn’t go beyond that. If you’re expenses are low (like me) then I would absolutely go nuts with roster slots. Maxing a character pays for the next slot and they are a good investment.

I think people who are in the stage of the game where everyone is rostered and they are ahead on HP fear the 2K slot cost way too much. I went kind of nuts and have three of each 2* and four of each 3*. One collects covers and gets champed and sold when I hit 50/100 saved, while all others are maxed. I also have one of each 1* for completionist purposes. My 4* are creeping up to 370 slowly. I already have 31 dupes rostered and 25 more are in the 360-369 range). I have one 5* dupe but no one near 550. I just have a 450 and a 458 Thor.  I used to have 4 2* and actually sold off a set since I can’t remember the last time I played CL9 where Thanosing everything was the move. I could probably stand to sell off another but idk. Combined Arms is a thing. 
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    Hmm @revskip got me wondering on my tier numbers.

1* - 3 slots. Two mbw for Team up requests.

2* - 14 slots. Sell when they hit 144. Can do DDQ with 'em at lvl 90.

3* - 56 slots. These guys don't do anything in PvP or PvE. Been selling off max champed 3s.

4* - 179 slots. I've flipped Captain Marvel is all.

5* - 64 slots. Have the shards for Abigail, haven't rostered yet.

316 total slots. The 2K hp cost isn't technically a problem. I think it's really silly on D3s part though to charge that.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    tonypq said:
    I'm looking to get a farm going to maximize rewards and was looking for some advice. 

Any of you have some tips on the best way to start farming ?

I have all the 1/2/3*s champed. My 4*s I have all but 16 champed, but all the good ones champed. For 5*s I have all but 2 rostered and I have all the metas champed. Currently I've got 256 roster slots unlocked and filled. I also have 719 elite tokens stocked up. Been building elite tokens up in case I was going to start rostering a bunch of 3* dupes. 

So far the only farming I've tried is a few 3* dupes, Rocket, Gamora and Colossus. I wasn't sure the best way to really get the farming going. Whether I'd sell all my champed 1&2*s and start farming them fresh. Or concentrate more on 3*s who net more LL tokens, CPs, and 4* covers&shards. I don't use my 1/2*s unless one of those special events comes around where you need a character from each rank. 

Think of each slot as a bank account. You want each slot to earn interest (in the form of champ rewards).  

There's no point in having every 1star rostered. You only "need" one of spiderman or Juggs to do the 1star deadpool daily node. And maybe have 5x black widows with only blue cover for sending TUPs to alliance members.  

For efficiency in selecting my deadpool daily 2star team, I have a maxed magneto, storm and hawkeye and use that team. All the other 2s I sell off once I get some more covers and the current one is at max covers and level.  (that's the 2star farm).  

3s it's up to you what you do when they are maxed. Do you keep them and start a fresh one? Or do you sell once you get the means to re-roster them. I like having max levelled 3s for when they pop up in pvp. But you could compete using just the loner maybe.  

4s take longer to max champ than 3s and 2s. So it's not something I worry about, it just happens.  

As for the strategy of which characters to favourite, either focus on who gives you an upcoming LL token or CPs, or find a feeder that feeds a 4/5 that you want. I am close to champing daredevil (5star) and need maybe 15 more levels on 4star kingpin. It's taken a long time even with bullseye favourited.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Srheer0 said:

Think of each slot as a bank account. You want each slot to earn interest (in the form of champ rewards).  
    I guess that’s the efficient way to look at it. I took a different approach. I think of each slot as an investment. Once you max champ, the slot has paid for itself. If you keep it, you have a roster slot and some spare HP sitting there in case of emergency. Until you crack the safe, you also have a second and third 1* to make DDQ marginally faster or a third/fourth copy of a 3* to save on packs. Roster slots are an investment that retain value because we always need more.

The minimalist approach is like saying I could eat canned beans everyday to save money. I mean sure I could do that and am suggesting people do exactly that if they can’t afford to have a steak. But once you move out of a certain stage of the game it’s perfectly okay to move beyond the canned beans mentality and expand in what really is a game largely about collecting. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really play for maximum competitive points, just full node rewards (and subsequently event progression) in PVE and full progression (1200 points ideally) in PVP, at which point I'll generally save out so I can hang on to season points for season progression, which is pretty often good for t50-t100 per event. I've found that playing this way the required character is almost always a non-factor unless they are very good, and even a max champ bad character is a non factor as in the case of my max-champ Frost in her PVP in the face of boosted 5* characters. 

I keep a single 1*, juggernaut, on roster as built as he can be as a 2 color character. he can solo the DDQ node, though I find he is more board dependent than 1* spider-man or iron man who can also do it, you'll just never use his blue. I throw away several yelenas a day from PVP rewards, and I've considered rostering her just to have all the limiteds, but it's a pretty dead roster slot since 1* can't be champions.

I keep all 2*s on roster, even a champed bagman (i'm on my 4th iteration of him so far i think?), and I only ever have 3 of them (non bagman) champed at a time. When one of them hits 144 and I get a replacement cover, i flip it and reroster the one cover and then champ whoever has the most saved covers. I find that any 3 characters can win the DDQ nodes, and I used to do it with a solo 2* Thor. I have teams I prefer, but not so much I need to keep them maxed out. Playing this way makes my farm resource aquisition very lumpy, but it means that I have iso-8 stacking up to champ higher tier characters rather than always getting siphoned off to keep those more rapidly flipping ones champed.

I keep all 3*s on roster, and flip max-champs as soon as I have a single replacement cover. Using the loaner is just fine if you have 5*s that are flanking them. This tier for me only exists to unlock nodes in PVP and give rewards. I only sink iso into them when they can go directly to champ.

I have all 4*s on roster, all are champed except the 2 most recent and a recently added Frost dupe. This is so far the only tier I've rostered duplicates on, because it takes so long to max-champ a 4*. I do think that there is at least some marginal PVP value to having a high leveled 4* required, but it's become a lot less now with 5* boosting being a factor for me. Similarly, should they ever decide to apply retroactive feeders into the reward tree, having max-champs here has historically been the only way to take advantage of that, but I do think it is highly unlikely to happen again. Though I could see a sweeping reward change should a hypothetical 6*, or some change to Supports or something ever goes live.

5*s:I just have one of each, but that's because I didn't start seriously aquiring them until Saved Covers as a feature was already a thing. That came online RIGHT when I landed my first 6th cover of Daredevil, so I lucked out not having to roster a dupe way back then.

At all tiers I only spend iso-8 on fully champable characters all at once, I rarely to never invest in partial builds now that SHield Training doesn't require it. This gives me the flexibility to pick and choose who I champ based on either needing them mechanically, or cashing in on any saved covers they may have banked up. I wouldn't say I"m iso-positive, i'm probably iso-neutral in that I can champ anyone I need to, but it usually drains me down to 0 in the case of a 5*.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess in terms of actual advice for starting one, you should begin at the bottom by rostering all the 2s, then 3s, because you'll be pulling those down very fast (relative to the 4s and 5s). You'll want to eventually get one of everyone on roster. Then is the part where you need to make choices about how many to keep champed at any given time, and how to handle flipping them (keep a dupe, or ruthlessly flip). I think there are a few flavors of that advice on this thread, so you'll have to decide what matters to you in regards to hp spend as Daredevil laid out as to whether you want a leaner one of each roster, or a fatter duplicate heavy roster.