Is this the end of Polaris?

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, iHulk wasn't the end of Polaris so I doubt anything else will be.

Maybe a good 5* (higher health pool) will come around that gets rid of all these tile makers - which are basically the trouble-makers.

I keep hoping. Morbius as a 5* would have been fantastic.
  • BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Normally I just use Polaris as the best counter against Polaris. So I don't really understand what all these anti Polaris threads are about.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,083 Chairperson of the Boards
    I normally use "kill her first". Seems to work OK.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anything can trivially beat Polaris, and Polaris can trivially beat anything. 

If they ever make a character that Polaris can't trivially beat, that'll be the end of Polaris.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor

If they ever make a character that Polaris can't trivially beat, that'll be the end of Polaris skittledaddy.
    There, I fixed that for you.  :p
  • entrailbucket

If they ever make a character that Polaris can't trivially beat, that'll be the end of Polaris skittledaddy.
    If they make that character it'll be the end of all of us!
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor

If they make that character it'll be the end of all of us!
    The game survived 6 years before her, it will continue if she’s countered . There’s only one psychological demographic that uses her , and forum rules again forbid me from mentioning them . 
  • entrailbucket
    No...if they manage to make a character who's so strong that Polaris can't beat him, nobody else will be able to beat him either!
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Anything can trivially beat Polaris, 
    Anything? Emma Frost? Northstar? Talos? Sentry? Vision? ,,,
  • entrailbucket
    Sure, why not?  She has about 6 health, I bet a team of half-covered 2* could take her down before she does anything.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    No...if they manage to make a character who's so strong that Polaris can't beat him, nobody else will be able to beat him either!
    Actually, they did make a character that Polaris can’t beat, it’s Wanda. She reduces most of her damage and then hits back even harder. Of course, Wanda is a 5* not 4*. 
  • fractalvisions
    Sure, why not?  She has about 6 health, I bet a team of half-covered 2* could take her down before she does anything.
    Try it some time and let us know how you get on. She may seem fragile to someone with a 550 roster or even someone with a well-rounded 4* roster, but I remember what it was like when she first came out and I was only just starting to champ 4*s.
  • entrailbucket
    Try it some time and let us know how you get on. She may seem fragile to someone with a 550 roster or even someone with a well-rounded 4* roster, but I remember what it was like when she first came out and I was only just starting to champ 4*s.
    Sorry, I thought the point of this thread was that Polaris is horrible on defense, super easy to beat, and therefore is not a problem.  Are you saying that's not true?

• fractalvisions
    Sorry, I thought the point of this thread was that Polaris is horrible on defense, super easy to beat, and therefore is not a problem.  Are you saying that's not true?

It's possible that we have meandered away from the original point of the thread somewhat. Personally I just found your comment that "anything can trivially beat Polaris" to be ridiculous. She can be very powerful on defence if the attacker doesn't take the right characters. As I understand it, 3* players quickly realise this when they come up against her and so make sure to favourite her and roster her themselves. In other words, I certainly don't see her losing her dominance in the 3*->4* transition any time soon, due to her utility on both attack and defence.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,588 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pretty sure people are talking about her being trivial in the 4*->5* transition, or with people who have 5* rosters where she shows up on PvP teams regularly with both BRB and KP. She is fairly common in the 5* tier with people who have rosters in the 450-470 range.

Most 5* teams will wipe her out in a couple of turns before she can stun anybody.

There really is not a single 3* who can compete directly with her. There are 4* options but they take several more turns than a 5*.
  • entrailbucket

It's possible that we have meandered away from the original point of the thread somewhat. Personally I just found your comment that "anything can trivially beat Polaris" to be ridiculous. She can be very powerful on defence if the attacker doesn't take the right characters. As I understand it, 3* players quickly realise this when they come up against her and so make sure to favourite her and roster her themselves. In other words, I certainly don't see her losing her dominance in the 3*->4* transition any time soon, due to her utility on both attack and defence.
    Interesting!  Whenever anyone complains about Polaris, the response is always that she's fine because she's a total pushover on defense.  The next time someone makes that argument, I'll remind them that she's actually incredibly powerful on defense.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 586 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2022

Interesting!  Whenever anyone complains about Polaris, the response is always that she's fine because she's a total pushover on defense.  The next time someone makes that argument, I'll remind them that she's actually incredibly powerful on defense.
    The two arguments aren't on equal footing. The argument that she's weak on defense comes from 5* players who squash her in two-ish rounds. @fractalvisions was specifically talking about players in the 3* to 4* transition that either underestimated her or just became acquainted with her.

I'm a 4* player and was gone from the game when Polaris was released. When I came back and played against her, I immediately shargeted and rostered her because she partners with my 1/3/2 BRB perfecyly to punch up for pvp wins and full SCL10 progression. As a heavy Polaris user, I mostly fear strong 5*s, unstunnable foes, Morbius, and Mantis. I'll take on Blob, Sabretooth, and Medusa teams depending on the conditions/teammates. 

Edit: I'm also finding Doc Ock to be an issue, but I like how well Doc Ock plays with her.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 790 Critical Contributor

Embarrassingly, Polaris does win on defense from time to time. I just played a Polaris v Polaris match and on the enemy's turn one a cascade took out my entire team. Is Polaris a pushover because of her health? Yes, but as the saying goes "the best defense is often a good offense." All Polaris needs is one turn. One... lucky... freaking... turn... and it's game over.
  • entrailbucket

The two arguments aren't on equal footing. The argument that she's weak on defense comes from 5* players who squash her in two-ish rounds. @fractalvisions was specifically talking about players in the 3* to 4* transition that either underestimated her or just became acquainted with her.

I'm a 4* player and was gone from the game when Polaris was released. When I came back and played against her, I immediately shargeted and rostered her because she partners with my 1/3/2 BRB perfecyly to punch up for pvp wins and full SCL10 progression. As a heavy Polaris user, I mostly fear strong 5*s, unstunnable foes, Morbius, and Mantis. I'll take on Blob, Sabretooth, and Medusa teams depending on the conditions/teammates. 

Edit: I'm also finding Doc Ock to be an issue, but I like how well Doc Ock plays with her.
    So...what does that mean?  Read the rest of this thread.  Read every other Polaris thread.  Everyone is saying that Polaris is fine because she's trivial to beat. 

Every time someone complains about her, the response is always that the player is bad at the game because they can't beat such a pushover. 

If they're wrong, and she's actually not trivial to beat for everyone, does that also mean that she's not fine?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Again, context is very important. What's true for one player might not be true for another player. Even though I have almost half the 5* champed, I still lose to Polaris/BRB sometimes due to her cascades into matches.

For 3* players, they won't be facing champed Polaris unless they break mmr. They are likely to face undercovered Polaris, so she's beatable for 3* players. 

For 4* players, she has so many counters and she's probably the only meta who has so many counters churned out for her. I think there's at least 5, and I'm counting only the newer 4* counters to her. If I were to add other counters released before her, it'll easily 10. In 5* land, we typically have about 2 or 3 counters and that's it.

Skill is also relevant. Unfortunately, a lot of new players who post in reddit are brainwashed into using Polaris/Juggernaut/R4G till they don't even know what a counter looks like.