More 5* help please

Options

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,406 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Depends on how much CP you have, and how much you are willing to spend.

Most likely probably not just for her, but Shang Chi is also in the store. If you like both of them then go for it.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    I’ve never used him nor see history value , he’s an easy KO on defense because he does nothing useful until he falls below 50% and by then he can be punched out with most powers 

If you don't see the value of +1.67 r/y/g ap every turn, plus board shake, then I am not sure we will see eye to eye on a lot of things in MPQ.
    IMO Thor is, like SC, the best kind of meta character in that he is pleasure to have on your team, but also not too much of a problem to face.
    OP, you should not roster thor for the sake of rostering him. A one cover Thor should not be leveled and will just take up space for a LONG time. But if you do want to build an endgame roster and are willing to spend money on this game, then there are few better ways to spend it than on a Thor + valk direct buy offer. You can't get to a usable Thor (i.e. 5/x/x) without having a first cover at some point
    I just don’t see the point of using any character below 50% to be effective, nor would I waste time knocking him down to that level just so I could use him . I faced a 565 Thor5 in Gamora’s 5E today and he got KOed before firing a power active or passive. So I’ll pass on someone who is useless defensively and only useful offensively if already half damaged . There are a lot better 5* to chase.

It is absolutely a pain to use use Thor, but he is probably the single best support character in the game if you are willing to jump through all those hoops. Just by stashing him as your team's third and hiding him behind a tank with bigger match damage you get all of the following:
    (1) 5 ap every single turn in r/g/y. Original gambit absolutely broke the game by getting 6ap each turn. . .
    (2) free boardshake to keep the board from ever going stale.
    (3) enemy r/y/g suppression because there are rarely available matches in any of those colors when you remove 5 at the start of each turn.
    (4) black/purple/blue ap acceleration because there are usually 10+ tiles of each color on the board with so much r/y/g being leeched away.
    (5) a decent aoe attack
    (6) you can ignore enemy protect tiles with his red
    (7) you can generate your own protect tiles or convert protects to strikes with his yellow.
    As for 5* Elektra, meh.  Her yellow could be interesting and will hit hard when boosted. The red is only ok. The purple active looks bad, though the passive is fine. 
    I would not spend cp on her alone, but she has Shang chi in her store, and he is very good, so spending on that store might be worthwhile for anyone who wants to cover SC anytime soon.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thor's tile break does basic match damage, and he accrues all of Sighclop's colors passively, so if you hide him behind scott and use someone else with similar colors to keep him hidden (I used to use Robbie Reyes when Hell Ride did 300% match damage, 5* Danvers is the only other total overlap character he can hide behind completely) it was a fun team.
  • Speed283
    Speed283 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My SC is fully covered and spent all but 400 of my CP on the BRB, Apoc and Okoye special 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How many LTs do you have? You can wait for her to rotate into the store on 7th or 8th March.
  • Speed283
    Options
    Ok - good idea…I have 280. Is she worth it? 
    Thanks Hound 
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    That depends on your playstyle.

In terms of meta, she's not a meta. In terms of fun, she looks pretty fun to me.

Usually, players are encouraged to roster at least one cover of each 5* for additional pve node rewards, and slightly better placements (instead of T200, probably T100). 
  • Speed283
    Options
    17 pulls no 5’s 
    Any opinions on me **** to them on 7,500 CP spent (all I had) in the okoye, Apoc BRB store and got ZERO yellow covers for Okoye? Asked them for a complimentary yellow cover.
    They gave me a canned response and I called them  The Grinch and that their phone is ringing with the ghost of Christmas calling to give advice on how to leave people without gifts!
    Ever since my matches are WAY harder. Guess I shouldn’t have tried for Electra either.
    So am I screwed from now on? GEEEEZ!
    Conspiracy theory or not? 
    Thanks for opinions!
  • HoundofShadow
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Did you level up and champ your 5*? 300 pulls and zero yellow cover for Okoye got to be rough. Who are the top 5 highest level of your roster?

As for Okoye, try sharding Shuri and Okoye. One day when you decided to spend 280 LTs, you'll have 840 Okoye shards and 10 Shuri covers equivalent.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You opened 300 tokens and didn't shard for Okoye? I assume you must have sharded for one of the 2 in the same store? After 200 tokens opened and no Yellow why you didn't change shard targets to Okoye to get at least 1 Yellow via shards.
    Assuming you got an expected number of 5* (45 in 300 draws) the odds of no Yellow are (8/9)^45 = .0049 or roughly 1/2 of 1%. Looked at another way, if 200 people did what you did (300 tokens) we'd expect just 1 person to not get any Okoye Yellow.
    KGB
  • Speed283
    Options
    To be clear, I did get 5 black and 4 red covers for Okoye…just shocked that I got ZERO yellow!
    Also, fully covered BRB and got him to level 460. 

• Vhailorx
    Options
    Speed283 said:
    17 pulls no 5’s 
    Any opinions on me **** to them on 7,500 CP spent (all I had) in the okoye, Apoc BRB store and got ZERO yellow covers for Okoye? Asked them for a complimentary yellow cover.
    They gave me a canned response and I called them  The Grinch and that their phone is ringing with the ghost of Christmas calling to give advice on how to leave people without gifts!
    Ever since my matches are WAY harder. Guess I shouldn’t have tried for Electra either.
    So am I screwed from now on? GEEEEZ!
    Conspiracy theory or not? 
    Thanks for opinions!

For future reference I think the best practice is to shard the most important character for your roster whenever you open a large batch of tokens (and it's hard to get much more important that okoye in this game). Doing that can smooth out the toughest edged of RNG. 300 pulls and still missing one cover entirely is quite poor luck but not outrageously so.
    As for your CS interaction, you can be angry with the bad luck and feel free to express that to CS if it helps you feel better, but (1) nothing that happened is the fault of the indivi CS rep that you interact with, so I would suggest being polite to them, even if you are angry at demi/d3, and (2) I would not expect any compensatory action for 'just' bad rng. Maybe if you were a long time customer and pulled 300 tokens without getting any 5*s at all, but not for just getting covers you don't like. Freemium games with loot boxes are basically just gambling and the house doesn't win by giving money back when players have bad luck.
  • Speed283
    Options
    Should I spend any LL tokens for Sersi or 5* Ghost rider? Thanks for your help!
  • dianetics
    Options
    It depends on how many covers you have for Sersi. If you are close to champing her, it might be worthwhile, if not just go back to holding.

As for Ghost Rider, I'd say just skip it. It will be very hard to get more covers for him, and he will not really be usable unless he is boosted.

Just hold out until there is a good couple heroes in LL. Most likely skipping until Abigail leaves at the earliest.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Obviously I'm late to this party, but here's my take: NO 5* is worth chasing, let alone spending money to chase, until you have (1) every 2*, every 3*, and every 4* rostered, and (2) every 2*, every 3*, and probably 80% or more of all 4*s champed. Then, once your 4*s are starting to yield many, many levels' worth of shards for 5*s, you can start to think about which 5* you should champ first. Along this path, you will roster various 5*s, but it isn't practical to focus on any until years and years into the game. Above all else, resist the temptation to level up the 5*s you do passively collect (at least beyond ~level 320-350 or so). Along the way, (1) spend all your HP purchasing roster slots and building a farm of 2* (by far the most important) and 3* redundant characters and (2) hoard LTs and CPs.

This will also afford you time to collect supports -- which do not come easily or quickly. And you simple must have them to compete effectively in PvE on your way up. Look at the rosters of the very top players in the game: many of them have few-to-no 5* supports. It takes a long time to get them...

I am 1,982 days into the game, so ~5-1/2 years. I didn't champ a 5* until, maybe, 2 years ago or so...? Maybe a little longer but not much. But I have 360 roster slots and my farm churns out LTs, HP, CP, and ISO on the very regular. And I'm competing on a pretty high level, at least in my sense of things. But that's 100% because I took the time to build out a big farm, relentlessly hunt and re-champ feeders, and only tried to build tall once I had a truly strong foundation.

The single most important resource in this game is roster slots. Period. Not covers -- in fact the very opposite of covers. Roster slots. That's what drives the game because that's what pays the developers' bosses.

• dianetics
    Options
    The 4* roster is too fat right now to worry about rostering them all. 
    It’s easier to save up tokens and CP and look for a meta 5* to roster to get you into the higher CL and better rewards.
    You can essentially roster 3-5 great 4*s and use them as a backbone, and get that 1 5* to push you up into CL10.
    If you got BRB champed and Polaris and Th4nos you could farm out CL10 pretty easily and then grow your roster faster than waiting to farm out 100 4* roster slots.

You could have done it with Col5 Morbius and Polaris as well.

If you have the chance to roster/champ a great 5* don’t miss it otherwise they will fall into the 5* classic void.
  • Vhailorx
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Yepyep said:
    Obviously I'm late to this party, but here's my take: NO 5* is worth chasing, let alone spending money to chase, until you have (1) every 2*, every 3*, and every 4* rostered, and (2) every 2*, every 3*, and probably 80% or more of all 4*s champed. Then, once your 4*s are starting to yield many, many levels' worth of shards for 5*s, you can start to think about which 5* you should champ first. Along this path, you will roster various 5*s, but it isn't practical to focus on any until years and years into the game. Above all else, resist the temptation to level up the 5*s you do passively collect (at least beyond ~level 320-350 or so). Along the way, (1) spend all your HP purchasing roster slots and building a farm of 2* (by far the most important) and 3* redundant characters and (2) hoard LTs and CPs.

This will also afford you time to collect supports -- which do not come easily or quickly. And you simple must have them to compete effectively in PvE on your way up. Look at the rosters of the very top players in the game: many of them have few-to-no 5* supports. It takes a long time to get them...

I am 1,982 days into the game, so ~5-1/2 years. I didn't champ a 5* until, maybe, 2 years ago or so...? Maybe a little longer but not much. But I have 360 roster slots and my farm churns out LTs, HP, CP, and ISO on the very regular. And I'm competing on a pretty high level, at least in my sense of things. But that's 100% because I took the time to build out a big farm, relentlessly hunt and re-champ feeders, and only tried to build tall once I had a truly strong foundation.

The single most important resource in this game is roster slots. Period. Not covers -- in fact the very opposite of covers. Roster slots. That's what drives the game because that's what pays the developers' bosses.

This is generally fascistic advice, though I might have two caveats to add:
    (1) with well over 100 4*s in the face right now, rostering and championing 80+ is probably not necessary before jumping to 5* land.
    (2) there are a handful of 5*s that are worth chasing even when you are a 4* player. They are mostly true-healing offensive powerhouses (eg okoye and Shang-chi). They are worth covering even if you will just stash then away for months or years. The trick is that is hard to know which 5*s are that good until after they leave LTs. And it's not worth chasing them until one is reasonably certain to get 10+ covers.  Chasing 3 covers for any 5* is a waste of time.  And DEFINITELY do not level them until your roster is ready for it.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

(2) there are a handful of 5*s that are worth chasing even when you are a 4* player. They are mostly true-healing offensive powerhouses (eg okoye and Shang-chi). They are worth covering even if you will just stash then away for months or years. The trick is that is hard to know which 5*s are that good until after they leave LTs. And it's not worth chasing them until one is reasonably certain to get 10+ covers.  Chasing 3 covers for any 5* is a waste of time.  And DEFINITELY do not level them until your roster is ready for it.
    I'd add BRB to this list first and foremost, since he enables most of the cheese necessary for tackling CNs.

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Yepyep said:

This is generally fascistic advice, though I might have two caveats to add:
    (1) with well over 100 4*s in the face right now, rostering and championing 80+ is probably not necessary before jumping to 5* land.
    @Vhailorx -- I'm no fascist!!! Ha, that might be my favorite typo ever...

dianetics said:
    The 4* roster is too fat right now to worry about rostering them all. 
    It’s easier to save up tokens and CP and look for a meta 5* to roster to get you into the higher CL and better rewards.
    You can essentially roster 3-5 great 4*s and use them as a backbone, and get that 1 5* to push you up into CL10.
    If you got BRB champed and Polaris and Th4nos you could farm out CL10 pretty easily and then grow your roster faster than waiting to farm out 100 4* roster slots.

You could have done it with Col5 Morbius and Polaris as well.

If you have the chance to roster/champ a great 5* don’t miss it otherwise they will fall into the 5* classic void.
    So having written my treatise, I think my advice might well be old-fashioned. I am turning into my parents, after all... What @dianetics and @Vhailorx advise is pretty sound. There is a litterbox full of useless 4* characters -- except as feeders and tickets to entry in various events. I almost wonder if the way to get new players a decent foothold in the game might be to hand out a basic 2-3* roster so time doesn't have to be wasted on building that up...

Roster slots are still the main resource to chase in the game, though. I'm not giving in on that point!
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yepyep said:

Roster slots are still the main resource to chase in the game, though. I'm not giving in on that point!

You're spot on with that, until you've rostered everyone... then frustratingly all that ISO you once had disappears in an instant, haha! They really could retire 90% of non-feeder 4's without it making any difference to the game though and I feel like that needs addressing in one way or another.