***** Big Wheel (Jackson Weele) *****

Comments

• DaSal
    DaSal Posts: 76 Match Maker
    When 5*’s were introduced most of the releases could be considered as Marvel’s flagship characters. Having this little known character in the game is bad enough but as a 5*? That’s a travesty.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me this fits right in with classic Dr Octopus as a 5*. This hard to reach tier is where I was kind of hoping the "real" marvel comics nonsense would live, and the more easily attainable MCU/NCU characters would be down in the 3/4* level where casuals could have their fun. But I get it that this is a ferris wheel with a driver's seat, and that isn't for everyone. Mechanically I'm interested in this bucket of powers regardless of what .PNG shows up on my screen when I fire it off too.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    Except all of the 5* versions of Marvel's flagship characters are old, useless 5* that nobody wants.

In a game dominated by Okoye and Beta Ray Bill, is it really that weird to have Big Wheel as a 5*?
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Except all of the 5* versions of Marvel's flagship characters are old, useless 5* that nobody wants.

In a game dominated by Okoye and Beta Ray Bill, is it really that weird to have Big Wheel as a 5*?
    99% of players could care less who the character is so I don’t understand why all the feedback . ONE thing drives a character popularity, it’s power kit.  They could make Omega Red the next 5* but if they give him a power kit less than Jubilee the fanboys will turn on him in an instant and put him in the trash pile . Personally to me the character is 1% of the game although I would prefer 50 years of comic book characters to about 20 of movie characters.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    entrailbucket said: by

99% of players could care less who the character is so I don’t understand why all the feedback . ONE thing drives a character popularity, it’s power kit.  They could make Omega Red the next 5* but if they give him a power kit less than Jubilee the fanboys will turn on him in an instant and put him in the trash pile . Personally to me the character is 1% of the game although I would prefer 50 years of comic book characters to about 20 of movie characters.
    There was a survey?!?!?!  Was it a Disney survey?!?!?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I mean, this game requires us to use characters against each other, and I can't whittle away your health pool by liking the art. If the powers are bad, the character doesn't come off the shelf, it's just how it is. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards

Sadly for you they cater to the 2 billion views of people watching endgame rather than the 6 people still reading comics. I’m one who mostly cares about the power set and fun. What’s a fan boy got to do with chucking a rubbish character on the trash pile. Why on Earth would I do anything other than chuck a frost or skrull on the trash pile?

You seem to have a real problem with people not playing the game as you do. Why does it bother you if I think a character is trash and skip them. If I’m wrong and Ultron isn’t trash after skipping him then I lose out. Yet only once in the 30 odd I’ve skipped have I had to shard to rectify a mistake.

Don’t hate the player, hate the poor development.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    DAZ0273 said:
    heybub said:
    mdreyer93 said:
    Wow. I mean, I'm a huge Spidey fan and this is still WAY out of left field, lol. Literally no one is off the table now.  Bring on The Orb, Shuma-Gorath, Stegron, and Hellcow.
    Wait... there's a hellcow???!!!!!  How is Hellcow not in this game.  I don't care about any details, but I want Hellcow!!!!!  

Word of warning...Bessie is a Vampire Cow, be very afraid!
    O...M...G...

IT'S EVEN BETTER THAN I IMAGINED!!!!

GIVE US BESSIE!!!
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Tony_Foot said:

Sadly for you they cater to the 2 billion views of people watching endgame rather than the 6 people still reading comics. I’m one who mostly cares about the power set and fun. What’s a fan boy got to do with chucking a rubbish character on the trash pile. Why on Earth would I do anything other than chuck a frost or skrull on the trash pile?

You seem to have a real problem with people not playing the game as you do. Why does it bother you if I think a character is trash and skip them. If I’m wrong and Ultron isn’t trash after skipping him then I lose out. Yet only once in the 30 odd I’ve skipped have I had to shard to rectify a mistake.

Don’t hate the player, hate the poor development.
    I’m not sure how you extrapolated that was my point of view. I’m the original role model for ignoring completely useless characters and I get tons of feedback for doing that . All I’m saying is the character itself is irrelevant, and only what it can do is important. 
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    @heybub try and track down Bessie's original appearance in Howard the Duck.  It was one of Howard's very first appearances before he got his own book, as a backup in the quarterly - yes - "Giant-Size Man-Thing."  Howard was wonderfully entertaining when his creator, Steve Gerber, was writing him, and that Hellcow story is pure gold.

As this comment indicates, I'm an old fogey but even I don't remember Big Wheel.  I see he was co-created by Ross Andru - I never read Spider-Man when Andru was on the book, so I was certain to have missed him.

I'd love to see more seventies characters of course.  Start bringing in the Squadron Sinister/Supreme and the Imperial Guard so we can cheat and play the JLA and the LSH in a Marvel game.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    This art looks like he could have been a Masters of the Universe character...

I had the same thought.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    @heybub try and track down Bessie's original appearance in Howard the Duck.  It was one of Howard's very first appearances before he got his own book, as a backup in the quarterly - yes - "Giant-Size Man-Thing."  Howard was wonderfully entertaining when his creator, Steve Gerber, was writing him, and that Hellcow story is pure gold.

As this comment indicates, I'm an old fogey but even I don't remember Big Wheel.  I see he was co-created by Ross Andru - I never read Spider-Man when Andru was on the book, so I was certain to have missed him.

I'd love to see more seventies characters of course.  Start bringing in the Squadron Sinister/Supreme and the Imperial Guard so we can cheat and play the JLA and the LSH in a Marvel game.
    I'll see what I can find.  Thanks for the info. 

I am just glad to see new characters as opposed to the 12th incarnation of iron man or something.  And I enjoy a little bit of cheese thrown in so love DD, Spider-Ham, Aligotor Loki, etc.  Big wheel seems cool because he's different, a bit cheesy, and has a unique game mechanism.  And he looks better than the last 5-6 characters not including SC (who is a god).

As much as I want to see Omega Red, hobgoblin, Kang, or Forge, etc, I also want this game to keep going and something to look forward to.  If all cool comic characters were in game, it would get boring.

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Cataliban said:

It's not serious having a absolutely forgetable char as 5*. 
    Oh no!!!  :(  The telephone game where children's characters fight by matching colorful shapes isn't serious enough. :(  Might I suggest playing this instead?

I love the left-field character choices, personally -- what a drab, depressing Marvel gaming world it would be if every title had the same cookie-cutter roster of heavy-hitters and normie-favorites. Kudos to the devs for some zany unexpected outside-the-box thinking in character choice and interesting ability-designs here! 
    heybub said:
    mdreyer93 said:
    Wow. I mean, I'm a huge Spidey fan and this is still WAY out of left field, lol. Literally no one is off the table now.  Bring on The Orb, Shuma-Gorath, Stegron, and Hellcow.
    Wait... there's a hellcow???!!!!!  How is Hellcow not in this game.  I don't care about any details, but I want Hellcow!!!!!  
    So I'm not a huge comics fan (though I'm still probably in the 95th-percentile, which isn't too hard), so I had the same reaction as @heybub and was compelled to find out about Hellcow, being a big, big fan of cows and the former wetnurse-cum-executioner to several... And I discovered this article. There is a pretty substantial representation of these characters in our game.

https://entertainment.time.com/2009/09/02/top-10-oddest-marvel-characters/slide/hellcow/

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor

This is a pretty interesting comment -- it implies to me that there is a graded pricing menu for characters licensed to MPQ (like everyone else). Early in the game's development, they needed to attract a lot of players so they licensed entree-priced, marquee names. Now that they have a well-established player base, they can pick from the appetizer and kid's menus. Just as tasty but a lot less expensive.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yepyep said:

This is a pretty interesting comment -- it implies to me that there is a graded pricing menu for characters licensed to MPQ (like everyone else). Early in the game's development, they needed to attract a lot of players so they licensed entree-priced, marquee names. Now that they have a well-established player base, they can pick from the appetizer and kid's menus. Just as tasty but a lot less expensive.

They probably tossed Big Wheel in as a freebie!
  • TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    Yepyep said:

That’s highly unlikely. 

They very likely have access to all Marvel characters and the only usage rights issues would be tied to actor likenesses. You’ll never find an ALIENS Ripley toy that actually looks like Sigourney Weaver for that reason.

Rights aside, Big Wheel is a great addition and I’m still hoping we see Lady Stilt Man in-game.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited December 2021
    I've heard creators on podcasts who are actively doing comics at Marvel say that certain characters will be off limits for certain books because they are being used elsewhere etc. Interestingly enough, Marvel told Patton Oswalt that they specifically couldn't use Paste Pot Pete and Stilt Man in the MODOK show due to some unspecified rights issues.

"Marvel was so cool about like, 'Yeah you want Iron Man? Yeah, take Iron Man.' And I was like, 'Oh my God I can't believe Iron Man!' Like the only characters, they said no to were like Stilt-Man and Paste-Pot Pete we tried to have in that episode," Blum tells us.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/modok-marvel-wouldnt-let-show-use-stilt-man/

Without having seen that agreement with MPQ, it seems more likely to me that they just get told who they HAVE to feature as a tie-in to something happening out in the marvel world rather than them going to the character store and buying licenses to specific ones as they want them. Or very possible who they were not to use during certain windows when there was allegedly a moratorium on FF and X-Men tie-in stuff hypothetically perhaps.