Back after being away for a while and I screwed up. Lol

First and foremost, it's good to be back. Despite the negatives with this game it's fun and has a lot going for it. 

I was surprised to see how much the game has provided in terms of gaining covers for characters. In my exuberance I went crazy with the over 1 million ISO I had saved and opening covers like crazy. It's been really fun. I ended on the fortunate side with enough covers to champ Shang Chi and Odin.

These are my first champed 5* and I'm proud of the effort it took to do it by placing in events and a little strategic spending. However, championing up has screwed me in matchmaking. While I'm able to still place decent in pvp events, the variety of teams and characters I can use is now limited, odin isn't exactly the best 5* and I get outclassed by players with much stronger 5*.

I had forgot how everything worked while being happy having fun. What I'm wondering is if i sell odin (I know sounds crazy) would my average lower enough to bring me back down pvp wise? I'd rather enjoy the game to its fullest than a more narrow version because of this error. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    I recently champed SC as well so congratulations. He is pretty awesome. As for Odin, I would strongly recommend against selling him. 5*s are just so rare. Offensively, SC has a lot of 4* partners that support him so you should be ok in PvP regardless. Maybe not scoring high point totals without shields but you won't get that with a single 5* champ anyways. Any 5* paired with an unboosted 4* has a target on its back once you get to higher point totals in PvP. For the future, Sersi looks like she will be a good 5* Partner for SC and will complement Odin in Pick-3 PvP so if you can hold out you should be fine. The three won't be meta, but functional, and should handle PvE with ease to boot. 
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    Never sell a 5-star.  You'll just have to build up your 5-star roster over time to get more competitive. Everyone struggles when they enter the 5-star arena with only a few characters.  Keep hoarding and get the next batch of latest that looks decent when you have enough pulls to champ them all.

If you've got SC champed, then you should have no problem climbing against any team, though he's not as stellar on defense.  Pair SC with 553 P4x and 355 Valkyrie for simulator & PvE, and let the fun begin!   You'll need to figure out who pairs best with SC in PvP (probably not Odin).
  • Breadsticks
    Breadsticks Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Pvp has been hit or miss in terms of Shang Chi partners. I'm about to champ Chavez and she's been really fun with him.  I'm a huge target because Shang is terrible on defense and odin doesn't have a lot of synergy defense wise with Shang or whomever the required pvp character is at any time. 

It makes me to try to brute force thru teams and then use 24 hour shields and sneak fights in between and reshield. I'd really like to be able to leave up a decent defense but it's not possible with my roster. Maybe, once I champ juggs and blob they can deter attacks.

It just feels like I made my resource acquisition more difficult because now i can't fight for 75 wins since it leaves me open for worse placement. It's gotten to the point where I'm pretty much done a pvp event before I reach 40 wins. I'm not sure what the metrics are on that but it feels like I've slowed myself down a lot and am missing out on resources.
  • Sekilicious
    There are lots of stories where the first 5* champ was low tier, not meta like SC, and now they have numerous 5*s and lots of options in PvP. Its a marathon and you're doing fine.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I have a dozen champ 5s and I can get 15-20 wins in PVP with just Shang-Chi and Valkyrie.
    If you just had Odin.... might be a different story. But you have Shang-Chi.
  • Breadsticks
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I'm doing absolutely horrible. It just feels like everything slowed downed a lot and has become more difficult than my roster can handle. I've only been back playing for 2 months so my 4* roster wasn't up to the current meta. I wasn't playing for like 2 years. I had to quick build up and roster Polaris, medusa, Morbius, Chavez, Vulture and carnage. I still need juggs, grocket, mantis and Karnak fully covered.

TheRiddler said:
    I have a dozen champ 5s and I can get 15-20 wins in PVP with just Shang-Chi and Valkyrie.
    If you just had Odin.... might be a different story. But you have Shang-Chi.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pvp has been hit or miss in terms of Shang Chi partners. I'm about to champ Chavez and she's been really fun with him.  I'm a huge target because Shang is terrible on defense and odin doesn't have a lot of synergy defense wise with Shang or whomever the required pvp character is at any time. 

It makes me to try to brute force thru teams and then use 24 hour shields and sneak fights in between and reshield. I'd really like to be able to leave up a decent defense but it's not possible with my roster. Maybe, once I champ juggs and blob they can deter attacks.

It just feels like I made my resource acquisition more difficult because now i can't fight for 75 wins since it leaves me open for worse placement. It's gotten to the point where I'm pretty much done a pvp event before I reach 40 wins. I'm not sure what the metrics are on that but it feels like I've slowed myself down a lot and am missing out on resources.
    Why can't you fight for 75 wins?
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021

Honestly there is no such thing as float defense.  My best advice is decide on how many hops you think you can fit into your schedule (3,5, whatever) and then just float and take hits until your ready to start hopping to your score target.  

If your wondering, most placement/progression players generally play less than 40 wins.  The only difference is that their roster depth (specifically how big their 5* are) allows them to set their first shield at a much higher level.  I.e. They run out of targets/escape mmr in a similar number of matches played, but since they have a bigger roster,  the scores is correspondingly higher.

So for example. If I started the event early, climbed until I ran out of 20 point+ targets, floated/take hits and then did 3 hops to get over 1200.  It would typically be around 30-35 matches.  If I waited until the last day and tried to rush my way to over 1200 and then shield out.  Its around 25-30 matches.

The only people who generally hit 75 wins are doing it on purpose, either to snipe, bash seals whatever.
  • entrailbucket
    Anybody *can* do 75 wins though...that's the whole reason they added that to the game.  If all you care about is hitting progression, you just do 75 fights against whatever shows up and don't worry about getting hit at all.

The only thing that would stop you is if your connection dropped or something and the game wouldn't give you more matches.
  • Breadsticks
    I have to stay around 300 points to be left alone with my roster. The most points I've been able to get to is a little over 1k but that requires a bit of good fortune that when my shields come down I'm close enough to get fights without losing any points. I usually end up somewhere between high 700s to high 800s. Right now I'm 2nd place in scl 7 danger room with 962 pts which is rare for me to be that high.

My 20 pt targets are more likely to lose me points because they're usually colossus/SW. I end up trying to skip teams and up seeing the same teams which means I stall out for points. 

That's what made me think selling Odin might be in my best interest. If my avg 3 is a bit lower then I can lean on more of my roster.  Shang Chi is way more valuable than Odin and a lot of fun so I wouldn't sell him. Odin is a different story even champed. I wish we could devolve at least 5* back to the pre champ levels. 

Phumade said:

Honestly there is no such thing as float defense.  My best advice is decide on how many hops you think you can fit into your schedule (3,5, whatever) and then just float and take hits until your ready to start hopping to your score target.  

If your wondering, most placement/progression players generally play less than 40 wins.  The only difference is that their roster depth (specifically how big their 5* are) allows them to set their first shield at a much higher level.  I.e. They run out of targets/escape mmr in a similar number of matches played, but since they have a bigger roster,  the scores is correspondingly higher.

So for example. If I started the event early, climbed until I ran out of 20 point+ targets, floated/take hits and then did 3 hops to get over 1200.  It would typically be around 30-35 matches.  If I waited until the last day and tried to rush my way to over 1200 and then shield out.  Its around 25-30 matches.

The only people who generally hit 75 wins are doing it on purpose, either to snipe, bash seals whatever.

• entrailbucket
    Practice with Shang-Chi.  A champion Shang-Chi should absolutely dominate SW Colossus teams of normal (non-whale) levels, all by by himself.  You may want to use a synergistic 4* with him instead of Odin, but I still wouldn't sell Odin.
  • Phumade
    I have to stay around 300 points to be left alone with my roster. The most points I've been able to get to is a little over 1k but that requires a bit of good fortune that when my shields come down I'm close enough to get fights without losing any points. I usually end up somewhere between high 700s to high 800s. Right now I'm 2nd place in scl 7 danger room with 962 pts which is rare for me to be that high.

My 20 pt targets are more likely to lose me points because they're usually colossus/SW. I end up trying to skip teams and up seeing the same teams which means I stall out for points. 

That's what made me think selling Odin might be in my best interest. If my avg 3 is a bit lower then I can lean on more of my roster.  Shang Chi is way more valuable than Odin and a lot of fun so I wouldn't sell him. Odin is a different story even champed. I wish we could devolve at least 5* back to the pre champ levels. 

Phumade said:

Realistically 900/1000 is a realistic target score for you.  Of course with a check room you could do better, but you need to work with the members in your check room to do that.

As a general rule, the attacking team (even when comparable levels) has a massive win advantage.  So if you just want to climb till you run out of reasonably winable matches, then expect to have 200-300 points of red retaliations.  Thats okay, just wait until retals die down and then resume your climb with 10 fresh healthpacks.  Generally my schedule allows me to do around 3-5 hops within a 24hr span (technically you can do 3 hops every 8hrs)  So I generally push towards my score target inside 24hrs with the expectation that I can reach XXX points within 3 hops.

All of us wish we could de-evolve our 5* hahaha.  That would make it easy to optimize tanking orders and setup perfect meta combos.
  • Breadsticks
    Right now my options with him are limited so any suggestions are welcome. I've done some insane things with shang chi like hitting an enemy for 340k. I feel I have a good handle on him but I could be missing something based on what I have at my disposal or what I feel is optimal play.

entrailbucket said:
    Practice with Shang-Chi.  A champion Shang-Chi should absolutely dominate SW Colossus teams of normal (non-whale) levels, all by by himself.  You may want to use a synergistic 4* with him instead of Odin, but I still wouldn't sell Odin.

• Phumade
    Right now my options with him are limited so any suggestions are welcome. I've done some insane things with shang chi like hitting an enemy for 340k. I feel I have a good handle on him but I could be missing something based on what I have at my disposal or what I feel is optimal play.

entrailbucket said:

bring 2 purple.  also don't forget that using 5* deadpool unlocks spicy tokens.  between spicy, sweet, and savory.  boosts/health packs are quite cheap and common.

look at the other shang chi threads for 4* partners.  barring a really bad board.  One idea is bring a 4* valky.  I saw somone running a champed SC,  baby Valky and they were consistently beating 470 5* combos.
  • Breadsticks
    While we're discussing this, should I bother rostering any of these? Ronan, JJ, Hawkeye, Carnage, and Knull have 525 shards each. 

• Phumade
    While we're discussing this, should I bother rostering any of these? Ronan, JJ, Hawkeye, Carnage, and Knull have 525 shards each. 

unless they already have 12 covers or your trying to get 1 cover in each color, then no.
    Save the shards so that you can fix a bad cover distribution later.
  • entrailbucket

entrailbucket said:

Yeah the forum loves Shang-Chi, there are a lot of threads and a ton of team suggestions. 

But mostly...it's practice and building skill.  He's unlike every other MPQ character in that way. 

The more you use him the easier it will be for you to go infinite, and going infinite is how you beat teams that seem too difficult for you.  If you can beat the lvl600+ guys in the challenge nodes with him at 450 (and you can, I do), then shredding SW Colossus should be straightforward.
  • Sekilicious
    If your aiming for 75 wins then bad at defense is a good thing. Push to 800, drop to 400, and push back hitting every retaliation node. Rinse. Repeat. That’s how I got through the 4* tier. It was easy since the Polaris meta is well balanced. Shang-Chi offers similar offensive ability. 
  • Breadsticks
    Hmm, I didn't think about it that way. I've done something similar unintentionally because I didn't have hp to shield the way I wanted. 

Sekilicious said:
    If your aiming for 75 wins then bad at defense is a good thing. Push to 800, drop to 400, and push back hitting every retaliation node. Rinse. Repeat. That’s how I got through the 4* tier. It was easy since the Polaris meta is well balanced. Shang-Chi offers similar offensive ability. 

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't do crazy things like selling odin!
    If your pvp experience is not what you thought, pve experience can be great.
    You could be interested on attempt scl10, and odin can be a great partner on CN.
    SC is a perfect tool for to achieve the greatest things, the best one on 5* tier.
    And I'm seeing him on all types of pvp at my MMR.