When to use irreplaceable resources (Shang-chi question)

Options

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Best partners for SC and why(altought he can do his thing soon or later just collecting AP):
    -SW: provides defense and in a bad board it's better to pay 3 purple and she will always provide match ups
    -Thor: halfhealth he only provides red but he will shake the board and erase 2 colors for him
    -Cyclops: because of his shuffle and his green providing red
    -Heimdall: if he is stunned or out of matches he can be sent airborne for red AP. His blue can decrease AP costs or double dip matches.
    -odin: provides defense only, with Heimdall is a great team 
    -carnage: extra move and green can shake the board
    -sdaken: on black he provides red, on green a bit of shake board
    -havok: having AP he can channel blue and green for red
    -knull: on black he provides purple
    -onslaught: erases TU on match 4 and on blue he can change tiles
    -ghost rider: phantom repeater can help a lot in a bad board or create cascades. Really funny 
    -sersi: her purple will almost erase a color providing better match ups and also he turns tiles to random.

4*s great for him: loki, hulkbuster, chavez, karnak, valkyrie, iceman, riri, modok, shuri(with Heimdall or similar), hulk ME for shuffling
    And SW 3*.

Some synergies might need to change the partner's setting.
    I would have enough synergies for to pursue the most funny character in game and the most critically destroyer one.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would also like to point out that he doesn't need to be fully champed for him to be usable. I was running him at 5/2/2 with 451 Colossus and 452 Cyclops for awhile taking on much bigger teams. So if you are in no rush to champ him, it might be worthwhile to dabble a bit with his build. 
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    What threshold do you use as a rule-of-thumb for going infinite? I asumme 21 in red and purple is plenty, but can you do 14 in each?  Less?
    sometimes you wouldn't believe the cascades onslaught us able to pull off.
    going infinite is a lot easier with tu tiles eliminated from the board.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would also like to point out that he doesn't need to be fully champed for him to be usable. I was running him at 5/2/2 with 451 Colossus and 452 Cyclops for awhile taking on much bigger teams. So if you are in no rush to champ him, it might be worthwhile to dabble a bit with his build. 
    Due to bad RNG, my SC is 2/1/2, but he still rocks. Champed or unchamped, he's worth it.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Shang chi is good. Well designed and very strong on offense. Not great on defence because the AI will randomly fire his red or pink and not always prioritise getting the combo points every turn. 

He can still work with less than 5 5 3 / 5 3 5 spread, but he will hit softer and not target as many tiles with his red as if it were maxed.  

My favourite 4star is IMHB (ironman hulk buster) to use with him. It makes blue and black AP into red tiles or red ap, which is awesome. I thought about using Modok for red tile generation, but despite it costing low ap, it only makes 6 red tiles. So it isn't very reliable.  

Riri also works, but it is a bit board / rng dependant for the red ap generation..  

Half thor and Wanda are my partners of choice for him at the moment. Sometimes you get get unlucky with halfthor not letting you match red tiles he accidentally zaps. Use wandas pink on red tiles. Those are the most useful in keeping him alive and letting the board line up in more pink and red matches.  

Another 5star that can work is Rescue. She turns enemy special tiles into reds. If the board is flooded by Kitty, Polaris and BRB, then providing no one is stunned, you can potentially get full red ap in one turn.

I was running him as 5 3 5, but someone pointed out it was overkill and if he's at 5 5 3, you can get a mini winfinite by putting crit tiles between two pinks and you'll get back 6 pink ap for spending 7 due to making every tile surrounding it a charged one. 

Sersi could be interesting with him. You can make colours that aren't red and pink less likely to appear, therefore slightly increasing the chance of red and pink tiles to appear. 
  • Bad
    Options
    Also yelena is another great partner. 
    They have 0 synergy but SC cannot afford to deny nothing and yelena can save him too.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Options
    We have yet to discuss supports for SC, for those who use him in PVE. 

I have a 4* Chimichanga  that gives a 33.57% to net 2 extra red AP and a 38.37% chance for 2 extra purple AP when SC matches those colors. 

Cyke has a 2* Quantum Realm 34.65% chance to start with 5 purple  

Gator Loki has the 5* Vibranium Ore I lucked into. If anyone matches the team’s strongest color, there’s a 40% chance of netting +2 in that color (red). 

With this setup I’ve had SC do a simple match-3 red and net back 7 AP (more if there is charged tiles involved). 

Some of my alliance mates like Sharon Carter on Shang. Mine is only 3* but at 4* you get the +2 purple AP bonus like chimi and the support adds to your crit multiplier. 

Arc Reactor used to be on 5* Iron Man but is now on Hulkbuster in the event I decide to swap him in for Cyke or Loki (but I like my current setup with them for now).  Mine is only at 2* but even at that level it gives a 34.65% to net 5 red AP at match start so you can possibly winfinite turn 1. 

Honorable mention to 3*+ Shuri’s Lab (gives a chance at +2 red when you match red) and 4*+ Proxima Midnight (gives a chance to start with 3 red). Neither are better than the above options but can be played on Shang or a support person if you don’t have better options. 
    Another convert!

This team is effective enough that I believe it now deserves a name.  It's not my place to officially name it -- I stole the idea from another player in the Shang-Chi character thread -- but I'd humbly suggest Spinfinite.

Yes, it's derivative, but it rhymes.

What I've found playing it is that I can often go infinite and kill the whole enemy team *just* by using Loki and Cyclops' board spin powers to cause cascades and feed powers. 

I use both spins as my main method of offense, use Shang-Chi red to cascade into more spin AP, and use purple as a finisher/AP generator when I don't have anything more interesting to do.

Anybody got any other good team name ideas?  This is very, very important.

Edit: There are no wrong answers to this, unless your answer is something like ShaCycKi...that answer is wrong.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I have a 4* Chimichanga  that gives a 33.57% to net 2 extra red AP and a 38.37% chance for 2 extra purple AP when SC matches those colors. 

Gator Loki has the 5* Vibranium Ore I lucked into. If anyone matches the team’s strongest color, there’s a 40% chance of netting +2 in that color (red). 

With this setup I’ve had SC do a simple match-3 red and net back 7 AP (more if there is charged tiles involved). 

Some of my alliance mates like Sharon Carter on Shang. Mine is only 3* but at 4* you get the +2 purple AP bonus like chimi and the support adds to your crit multiplier. 

Arc Reactor used to be on 5* Iron Man but is now on Hulkbuster in the event I decide to swap him in for Cyke or Loki (but I like my current setup with them for now).  Mine is only at 2* but even at that level it gives a 34.65% to net 5 red AP at match start so you can possibly winfinite turn 1. 

Honorable mention to 3*+ Shuri’s Lab (gives a chance at +2 red when you match red) and 4*+ Proxima Midnight (gives a chance to start with 3 red). Neither are better than the above options but can be played on Shang or a support person if you don’t have better options. 
    Another convert!

This team is effective enough that I believe it now deserves a name.  It's not my place to officially name it -- I stole the idea from another player in the Shang-Chi character thread -- but I'd humbly suggest Spinfinite.

What I've found playing it is that I can often go infinite and kill the whole enemy team *just* by using Loki and Cyclops' board spin powers to cause cascades and feed powers. 

I use both spins as my main method of offense, use Shang-Chi red to cascade into more spin AP, and use purple as a finisher/AP generator when I don't have anything more interesting to do.

Edit: There are no wrong answers to this, unless your answer is something like ShaCycKi...that answer is wrong.
    Is Shang-Cyki wrong as well?
  • entrailbucket
    Options

Another convert!

Wrong!

A good team name needs to describe what it *does*, not who's on it.  It can include the characters' names if you can work them in creatively.
  • Sekilicious
    Options

Another convert!

Wrong!

A good team name needs to describe what it *does*, not who's on it.  It can include the characters' names if you can work them in creatively.
    You don't think that people running this team will have problems with their (Shang-) psyche?
  • entrailbucket
    Options

Another convert!

Wrong!

You don't think that people running this team will have problems with their (Shang-) psyche?
    Ok that's really pretty good.  I missed the joke because I'm so deeply prejudiced against mashup-style team names.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Wrong!

It's a shame that "Charlie's Angels" wasn't Professor X/Archangel/Angel, though I realize that team and it's name pre-date the inclusion of those Warrens.
  • entrailbucket
    Options

Wrong!

It's a shame that "Charlie's Angels" wasn't Professor X/Archangel/Angel, though I realize that team and it's name pre-date the inclusion of those Warrens.
    That's the rare team name that describes both who's on it *and* what it does (SW and BW do things on the board to further PX's Master Plan).
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I finally tried out SC, 5*cyclops, onslaught combo in shield sim.  I gotta admit it’s pretty OP.  If you played the game during the the 3 mags and Charlie Angel era, then you “(KNOW)” how to create match 5 chances out of nothing.  All 3 have good board control and there enough color variety that you go infinite either from removing tiles, OR color conversion.  If you take control of the board, not even Wanda/colossus can stop you.  Shield sim is a breeze now.

I predict SC loses True heal via nerf in 2 months
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I generally play him with 50% Thor as Thor gathers red and also removes green and yellow tiles which you don't really want for SC.  I have generally been able to mix and match other characters successfully with these two although I really like 5* Doom as his yellow board shake can be a life-saver when SC has a dead board or is really low on health.  Doom also slows down AI collection of yellow and black which is nice.  To answer the OP, he plays well with anyone but specifically those characters who can generate red/purple AP or remove other non-red/purple AP tiles from the board.  SC becomes a machine once you can get him started and the key is getting as much red and purple AP as fast as possible to achieve that. Board shake characters are his other natural allies.

Need I say that 3* IM, still one of the best AP generators in the game works great with his cheap yellow producing lots of red and a bit of purple.  4* Cyclops is also often over-looked as between his yellow and blue, he can generate tons of red AP. 
  • Sekilicious
    Options

Another convert!

Sersi only appears to give her green as team ups, which makes sense. This would benefit this team if you could get the maxed out version 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Phumade said:
    I finally tried out SC, 5*cyclops, onslaught combo in shield sim.  I gotta admit it’s pretty OP.  If you played the game during the the 3 mags and Charlie Angel era, then you “(KNOW)” how to create match 5 chances out of nothing.  All 3 have good board control and there enough color variety that you go infinite either from removing tiles, OR color conversion.  If you take control of the board, not even Wanda/colossus can stop you.  Shield sim is a breeze now.

As MPQ's leading nerf-requestor, I feel qualified to weigh in on this.  I don't share your opinion.  Maybe I should?  I'm so confused.

Shang-Chi feels "fair" to me in a way that all of the other current meta characters don't.  I think it's the fact that unlike...literally all of them, with him you actually have to *think* and *play* the game, not just acquire the character, pick him, and watch him passively do stuff for you.

Maybe I'll change my mind if he ends up in 100% of high level enemy teams, but I really can't see that happening either.  I just don't think players at our tier want to use a character like this.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phumade said:

As MPQ's leading nerf-requestor, I feel qualified to weigh in on this.  I don't share your opinion.  Maybe I should?  I'm so confused.

Shang-Chi feels "fair" to me in a way that all of the other current meta characters don't.  I think it's the fact that unlike...literally all of them, with him you actually have to *think* and *play* the game, not just acquire the character, pick him, and watch him passively do stuff for you.

Maybe I'll change my mind if he ends up in 100% of high level enemy teams, but I really can't see that happening either.  I just don't think players at our tier want to use a character like this.
    They haven’t nerf okoye so who knows?  But between SC red, onslaughts passive tu deletion, onslaught blue color change, cyc green color change, and SC purple crit placement.  It’s Charlie’s angel on steroids without having to worry about building a perfect tanking order.

don’t get me wrong,  it makes Wanda, colossus, Odin teams a cakewalk  in shield sim so I love it and I’m waiting for royal family and Carange challenge nodes to roll back into rotation.

I wish you could get better match stats, but you have insane cascade control, plus many different ways to match 5.  I’d love to see how the match stats change.

With Tu’s off the board and 5/6 colors having 5* match damage numbers,  it’s just insanely good.  It’s a real surprise if the AI ever gets to turn 5.

I can’t wait to try out SC in just the pick 2 events.  
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phumade said:
    They haven’t nerf okoye so who knows?  But between SC red, onslaughts passive tu deletion, onslaught blue color change, cyc green color change, and SC purple crit placement.  It’s Charlie’s angel on steroids without having to worry about building a perfect tanking order.

don’t get me wrong,  it makes Wanda, colossus, Odin teams a cakewalk  in shield sim so I love it and I’m waiting for royal family and Carange challenge nodes to roll back into rotation.

I wish you could get better match stats, but you have insane cascade control, plus many different ways to match 5.  I’d love to see how the match stats change.

With Tu’s off the board and 5/6 colors having 5* match damage numbers,  it’s just insanely good.  It’s a real surprise if the AI ever gets to turn 5.

I can’t wait to try out SC in just the pick 2 events.  
    As you mention, they've never nerfed Okoye. They've never nerfed iHulk or Bill either, and those two are much more mindless than Shang. So no reason why they would nerf Shang. And while Shang is insane on offence, a paper tiger on defence. I daresay Polaris is more of a threat on defence than Shang is.

On the other hand, they'll probably release counters and checks for Shang, just like how iHulk got Wanda and Electro. In fact, there's already a check to Shang: Thanos' Purple.
  • Bad
    Options
    SC without true healing would be unplayable. He is another one with the lowest health pool on game, competing with sersi SW ghostpool electro etc,... but without any damage reduction and being in front taking all the hits.
    Try to play him alone and without any aid: he is not so awesome then. Making a team for him to shine is just taking advantage of synergies, so a valid move.
    Without true healing each battle would mean wasting a healthpack and he would lose 3/4 of his popularity.