Week 24 Iceman (Bobby Drake), Jean Grey (Phoenix), Kingpin (Spider-Verse), Storm (Ororo Munroe)

Options
DAZ0273
DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
I am guessing we won't be seeing too much of Mr. Fisk. Not sure we have an enormous amount of synergy going on with this group but I have Storm and Icy decently covered so I might get some use this week.

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Thankfully we are back to older classics. More people have the newer classics so the top end of PvP for 4*s is a bit of a slog after 700 pts late in the event. It will be interesting to see how the Morbius buff affects this week but I expect he will just replace Sabertooth and maybe Mantis in the anti-Pocket meta. He should still be weak to Karnak/Chavez.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got three of them champed. Is this X-Men vs Kingpin week?

For 4*, we have Domino, Ghost, Kate Bishop, Morbius, Sandman.

Ghost was my third champed 4* and she and America Chavez carried me in pvp back then. I think Bishop and Polaris can create some magic in there.

Back to 5* land, We'll probably see a lot of Colossus/Wanda back this week for their revenge after getting trashed by Electro/Ronan. So, I'm setting Wanda/Storm and Iceman as my defense team.  Wanda would probably be targeted Iceman  first to render her ineffective.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's very interesting that Phoenix has been boosted like a million times.  Ghost Rider was also boosted like a million times.  Is a Phoenix buff incoming?  Are they actually using boost weeks to gather data about who's good and who's bad?
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    That's not a bad start but it all depends on what kind of boost GR receives. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's very interesting that Phoenix has been boosted like a million times.  Ghost Rider was also boosted like a million times.  Is a Phoenix buff incoming?  Are they actually using boost weeks to gather data about who's good and who's bad?
    There is literally no way to know, but the choice to start with Robbie is a little baffling compared to some known, dead on arrival duds that have been in the game longer like Banner. Oh well, I hope it is indicative of a trend and continues rather than being a weird halloween one-off thing. I'm curious if Robbie will come with a sellback option or not. I also hope that Danver5 just gets a whole new powerset here at some point.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Bobby and 5torm work really well together if you love to stun opponents, and since they were in Latest together I imagine most who have one will have the other champed. I'm sure we'll see our share of Storm-pocalypse and Ice-Pocalypse for that reason even though Apoclaypse isn't on the boost list. 

Kingpin is a rough one - his best buddies are Knull and Carbage, or BRB. In fact with KP boosted and BRB not, it may be time to break out the BRBattery for him. Elsewise Vulture feeds him pretty okay if you really want to use him.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am guessing the ghost rider rebalance will go into effect next week then.  I would imagine they would want to have him buffed when he gets rebalanced to encourage players to use him.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    His PVP starts on Halloween, I expect his rebalance will go into effect prior to that.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hope kingping could have a rebalance so good as GR. Not sure if I will use him, or I will go with ice and apoc, or ice and SW.
    Kingping and Ice are not compatible on color or mechanics. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kingpin desperately needs something like that.  He's one of the very few that's not usable even with the +100 level boost. 

His powerset somehow manages to be complicated, expensive, *and* underpowered.  It's actually not easy to hit that trifecta!  He's a bit like pre-buff Doc Ock or Captain America in that way, and both of them did get fixed eventually.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ic5man and Apoc are a very fun duo to use. Apoc's yellow boosts the damage from bobby's green repeaters.

And so everyone knows, as I have said more than once Ic5mans' yellow is bugged against multi-hit moves. And has a very busted interaction when allied with pr5fx.  

The end result is he reduces damage in the way his yellow is meant to. But he doesn't spend any TUP and doesn't make a countdown tile. IDK how it works, but you can see my post about it in the bug forum. And no dev has said anything about it being fixed or addressed yet. You can do testing if you find an enemy ic5man and profx team in sim. Try using Apoc's red when the enemy has enough TUP to activate the yellow and see what happens. 

Looking forward to this boost week. Sick of skipping all the Ronans lol. 
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    I'm glad I bump this thread up. This week boost is so unexciting that not many comments can be found here.

I was looking for inspirations for this week boost in scl 10 pves.  In the first sub I used Iceman and he hits like a baby, I used him with Thor and Okoye for the hard wave node grind and I got wiped by Sentry Fighter.  My mistake was not clearing their over 3k strike tile on the board created by the Mindless Ones. So, tiles destruction + crazy cascades wiped me on the first round. That was devastating to watch. So, my placement tumbled like DWAC stock.  :D

I can't believe I forgot Apocalypse exists and I have him champed. B) So, I'm putting him with Thor and Iceman to see if it's better.

I was playing around with 5* Storm and the best team I could build with her is using 5* Thor and Throg/Lockjaw. All she needs is 8 charged tile on board to maximise her damage. Use her yellow to create more black charged tiles and let Throg/Lockjaw use Green. Throg was helpful when I couldn't get rid of countdown in time and I sent the entire team airborne. I used Throg if there are AoE cd and Lockjaw is more straightforward because it creates 8 charged tiles with 8 green aps, which is perfect for Storm. I was thinking Jubilee because she has random stun on 2 enemies. Negasonic was on my mind but she's going to be more of a pain to my team and she'll be helping the enemy instead in high stake matches.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Gambit/storm/Negasonic is fun of you can embrace the chaos of the board shake.

Storm is a great black battery, probably would work well with Colossus.

I think Iceman is one of the characters that doesn’t really shine when boosted because he was designed to do a ton of micro hits rather than big powers, and they are all individually reduced by protects or whatever rather than aggregating into a big single lump the way attack tiles do. He has to be run with apocalypse, Okoye, or a big strike generator to shine. He would be interesting to run with Daredevil if they were boosted together probably.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This week the only one who shines is storm. Ice is too slow plus his damage reduction threshold is 20k so hardly activates. His stun is not compatible with blue powers.
    And there is kingping too, but sadly he is the incredible I-Want-But-I-Can't man.
    I am running Ice and apoc and wanda on pve, still really slow.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I love this week so far , apparently there are still players who have no concept of what they are doing and are using the boosted characters this week, which is like shooting fish in a barrel . I’ll take boosted Storm, Jean Grey , and /or Kingpin teams all day 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is a very lackluster group of boosted 5*.  In PVE (at least with Strange Sights), it is not worth it to run any of them.  In PVP, nobody is scary enough to keep someone away from you and even Ice/Storm can be very slow.  Looking forward to whomever is boosted next week.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I love this week so far , apparently there are still players who have no concept of what they are doing and are using the boosted characters this week, which is like shooting fish in a barrel . I’ll take boosted Storm, Jean Grey , and /or Kingpin teams all day 

Which characters are being used by the players that have a concept of what they are doing?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I’ve been running 5torm + Colossus + a full sweet of damage boosts in the Elsa event. In PVE I’m back to my usual teams.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    I don't have Gambit at decent cover and Negasonic can be risky in high stake situations. In scl 10 PvE, I settled on Storm/Thor and Lockjaw.  I still find Iceman difficult to use when he's boosted. I used Storm/Iceman/Thor for stun lock but it's a little overkill for the current pve because it's mainly 2 goons + 1 mover.

In PvP, I'm running Iceman and Storm, with +2 all aps, + 2 red/yellow aps and + 2 blue/purple aps. It was pretty smooth sailing with zero hit while climbing in Elsa PvP. It's great Elsa can turn green basic tiles to black, which feeds Storm and counters iHulkoye (I saw a few while climbing)And her red hits for close to 20k. The most common teams I saw are Apocalypse/Iceman and Storm/Iceman. I tried Apocalypse/Iceman but it's not really my cup of tea.
    5* 
    Ghost Rider PvP is up next and it looks like I'm in deep trouble.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2021
    Options

Which characters are being used by the players that have a concept of what they are doing?
    Meta pairs ( we all know who they are) I still see 80% of the matches , but a 20% occurrence of boosted non meta makes battle selection and victory a lot faster .