Answered - - Challenge to experienced MTGPQ players - can you solve this problem?

Tremayne
Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2021 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Can someone explain how I got killed in a match by a combo loop?

Since the log didn’t record the entire sequence of events, I couldn’t understand what was going on.

The match was in TCT and involved one card only (according to the log) which was Longhorn firebeast. “When this creature enters the battlefield: if there are 8 or less red gems destroy this creature end deal 5 damage to opponent’s PW.”

the creature died and I got 5 damage and then the creature returned and died again and again until I had not life less and lost the match. I’m pretty sure some other effect must have been involved but somehow not logged. The opponent’s PW was nicol Bolas so the card could come from those three colours. Anyone care to venture a solution?

Update - The effect is similar to “unholy indenture” or “ritual of the returned”, but those cards are removed after the first iteration and should not result in a permanent loop.

Comments

• andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    What supports were in play?
  • Abracadavers
    Abracadavers Posts: 61 Match Maker
    I've also been killed by that combo.  I don't remember the supports, but when I looked into them I think it somewhat made sense.
  • Tremayne
    @andrewvanmarle - couldn’t get to see the supports since the combo loop prevented interaction with the board. So maybe someone can help me figure it out.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2021
    It was likely Unholy Indenture.
    Firebeast dies, Unholy Indenture triggers, Firebeast ETBs, repeat.
    The 2nd half of Unholy Indenture never resolves because the creature dies immediately again.

Based on the way these 2 cards are worded, I don't see it as a bug, per se.
    But it definitely does suck when Greg drops it on you.
  • Tremayne
    @Zzyzzx - thank you for the answer. You are right it was annoying, but not being able to see how I lost the match annoyed me more than loosing the match.
  • Abracadavers
    Abracadavers Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Zzyzzx said:
    It was likely Unholy Indenture.
    Firebeast dies, Unholy Indenture triggers, Firebeast ETBs, repeat.
    The 2nd half of Unholy Indenture never resolves because the creature dies immediately again.

Based on the way these 2 cards are worded, I don't see it as a bug, per se.
    But it definitely does suck when Greg drops it on you.
    That's what it was in my case as well.  When the match was done I checked the battle log to see what was going on and I did see that they cast Unholy Indenture.
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Just got killed by this same deck. Had to come here because i could not figure out how it happened!  Thanks!
  • Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Gormhaus said:
    Just got killed by this same deck. Had to come here because i could not figure out how it happened!  Thanks!
    its a known (bugged) interaction. 
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Dannng people still running "longhorn indenture" .... wild
  • Tremayne
    @Tezzeret - it is still a new combo for some. And it is still a cheap “I win” button, so as long as they allow this cheap combo to persist it will be used.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tezzeret said:
    Dannng people still running "longhorn indenture" .... wild
    A "W" is a "W" :smiley:
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    But dakkon dosnt have red in it... idk how this combo is even being played ... lol I kid i kid.  I  aint gonna lie i used this combo a couple of times in TotP