The month of terror has begun! (Challenge with rewards)

Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2021 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hello guys,

The scariest month of the year has arrived 🎃 and along with it have come two equally scary collections: Innistrad Midnight Hunt and the Black version of  Puzzle Masters Collection. 👻
The new Puzzle Masters drop, has Liliana, Master of Death as its star, which like all the rest of this set's design, represents the idea that the ends justify the means.
Liliana, Master of Death, promises to give us goosebumps with her huge army of undead creatures, which will with no doubt be used to help her get everything she wants! 💀
And although selfishness is a trait that prevails over Liliana, don't let yourself be influenced by it, because today's challenge involves sharing your battle secrets.
So, tell me, what's your favorite combo in a Black colored deck? 🖤

PS: Let all your ambition dominate, show your best combo, because the most Liked 👍 combo will win a booster from our Puzzle Masters collection!

In case of a tie, our team of developers will choose the winner. The result will be announced on Friday (10/22/21) and we will contact you through the Forum PM.

Comments

• Scydrex7
    Scydrex7 Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    One of the best non rare, non mythic, non masterpiece cards I've played with in recent expansions is the black/green saga Binding of the Old Gods. It destroys an opposing creature or non land support, puts a land on the battlefield and makes your creatures become murder machines for a turn. 

I really love the new uncommon dual lands introduced in Innistrad: Midnight Hunt. When fetched by BotOG, you can gain up to 30 free mana if your hand is full.

How sweet is that?

Happy Halloween!
  • AoMadness
    AoMadness Posts: 76 Match Maker
    my favourit combo is with loth and scourge of the skyclave, with drider in play cast scourge and kick you will do 20 damage to each player, but drider does an extra 20 because of its ability, so scourge ends up getting +40/+40 when it enters won me a lot of games haha 
  • HelloKitty
    HelloKitty Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    I love the old school combo: Gisa and Geralf with Josu Vess. Throw in Primevals' Glorious Rebirth for more fun.
  • HailHydra
    HailHydra Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    I'm a big fan of "Gyruda, Doom of the Depths + Malakir Rebirth + Tend to the pests" especially on "Kaya, Orzhov Usurper".

Summon Gyruda, tag it with Malakir Rebirth, then kill it with Tend to the pests to summon 8 pest tokens!

If Kaya's first loyalty is used beforehand, you get damage from each monster sent to the grave (twice, when Malakir Rebirth brings it from the grave).

Hit it with another Tend to the pests for even more!

A great way to keep your opponent hurting and yourself healed.
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Drana and Otrimi make a nice combo for almost infinite creatures.

And for the old-school paper MTG players: dark ritual, erg raiders and unholy strength 💪
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Liliana, Death's Majesty is the perfect planeswalker to generate an Amass army.

I used 2 zombie critters with Amass, Dreadhorde Invasion, Liliana Dreadhorde Vanguard, Bleeding Edge.
    Sprinkled in a land or 2 and a couple removal spells and you've got a really fun build that don't take no lip from nobody.

Oh yeah, the most important part: Black Market, Kaya's Wrath, and Massacre Girl
  • kunnelation
    kunnelation Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    My favorite combo can be done with any black walker, but I prefer Cursed Huntsman to pilot the deck. 

Tainted Adversary and Asmodeus the Archfiend- add Alhammarret’s Archive for even more free cards for twice the zombies when Adversary hits the field. 
    Easy 200-400 zombies to add to your hoard, and who cares if they lose a reinforcement every turn? They don’t!

Just have lands, removal, and fetch to ensure the imminent death of your opponent :smile:
  • jsabotin
    jsabotin Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Any black PW that can get Westgate Regent and double strike on the board. Once the Regent is out, the countdown starts unless he’s removed.  I like that card + any double strike support!
  • gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    I need only say, Tergrid Steal yo Girl.

WIth Onyx.

lol
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    WHAT IS SPOOKIER THAN REANIMATING SKELETONS? 

REANIMATING SKELTONS... WITH A SWORD DIPPED IN GORGON BLOOD!!!

My *Spooky* (standard) combo is:

Vorpal sword
                                      +
                      Skeleton swarming

-these defender skellybones will always be holding that sweet sword
    -they  deathtouch kill  on attack 
    -they deththtouch kill on block
    -they Trample!
    -they get bigger as they reinforce (skelly army)
    -and.... they just keep coming!

AND THEY ARE SO SPOOKEY

• Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2021
    critman said:
    I mean pairing Highborn Vampire with Curse of Vitality is pretty nutsy ^_^

It takes a while... the loop timer kicks in two or three times! Kinda slow for 'instant death' :D

Yeah ... The legacy version of it with Vito IS a bit faster ... Too Bad he just rotated out ^^

As far as i'm concerned i think i'll Always have some kind of weakness for that good old Prized amalgam + graff harvest combo ... simple, cheap, relentless ... 
    The funiest thing is probably that your amalgam tends to die and resurect during your oponents turn (while blocking) ... And thus never suffers from sumoning sickness.

It is already an incredibly efficient combo it's own but ... cherry on the cake ...  it's Also a damn good engine to trigger other funky effects like creature etb, death and graveyard triggers.

So much to unpack for a 2 cheap cards combo ...
  • marla2413
    marla2413 Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    My favorite combo is relentless dead plus flashback marauder. You kill your relentless dead with marauder and destroy your opponent's creature. Relentless dead comes back to you. 
  • Opperstamper
    Opperstamper Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    My favorite combo just rotated out of standard: Dirge Bat and Otrimi, the Ever-Playful. Destroy an opposing creature, even with Hexproof. Repeat every turn after that. On long games you eventually get a Bat mutated with Otrimi, and Otrimi mutated with a Bat on the next creature slot, so you can do it twice per turn. My favorite combo in my favorite mechanic. I'll miss it  <3
  • JinQuiet
    JinQuiet Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Favorite pre-nerf(*) combo for me was playing Kaervek, the Spiteful in the legacy events involving zombies.

Everyone except me had Relentless Dead, obviously.

So what you do is this, just put Kaervek on the board and look at how Relentless Dead starts losing his religion and motivation, dying over and over, for hundreds of times, feeding my Black Market better than Ilon Mask's remarks about cryptocurrency on Twitter.

Notice bottom left corner where the Black Market resides (156 reinforcements and the sky is the limit)

(*) Pre-Nerf Kaervek needs to be explained. In 4.8. Card was changed making the combo impossible which is making it even more unique.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/84565/release-notes-4-8-update-02-24-21
    • The Kaervek, the Spiteful card description, and behavior changed due to unintended interactions and loops. From:

“While on the battlefield: Other creatures get -2/-2. When another creature is reinforced: That creature gets -3/-3. 

Morbid — At the end of your turn: Gain 3 Loyalty."

TO

“At the beginning of each player's turn: Other creatures get -2/-2 until end of turn. When another creature is reinforced: That creature gets -3/-3. This effect can trigger up to 3 time(s) per turn. 

Morbid — At the end of your turn: Gain 3 Loyalty.”

• Abracadavers
    Abracadavers Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Olivia, Mobilized for War + Lich's Mastery.

Each creature you play makes you discard a card, but then draws you a card when it attacks.  You discard a card at the end of turn and you don't take any damage from anything.  It is a great way to fill your graveyard while killing your opponent, staying safe, and still keeping cards in your hand.
  • DrRuphus
    DrRuphus Posts: 61 Match Maker
    critman said:
    I mean pairing Highborn Vampire with Curse of Vitality is pretty nutsy ^_^

It takes a while... the loop timer kicks in two or three times! Kinda slow for 'instant death' :D

I had the time to cook a porcini risotto before winning a game and drained half of the battery. But it was a lot of fun
  • spellsmasher
    spellsmasher Posts: 55 Match Maker
    My favorite black combo is a bit bland. It is the gyruda + eerie ultimatum. Just because you dump a bunch of cards into the grave and then pull them back out. I know it is a bit pedestrian, but it works. Especially if you have a dark ritual to be able to cast the ultimatum with. The nice thing is if you have creatures like Olivia in the deck you have a decent chance of getting haste and throwing more cards to the grave. 
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey guys,
    Thanks to everyone who is participating, I'm loving it! 🖤
    Dropping by to remind you that the challenge will end on Friday, so don't forget to vote (Like 👍) for your favorite.
    And for those who haven't participated, there's still time, so hurry up and post your best combo in a Black colored deck!
    I'm looking forward to Friday, see you there 🤩

Rebeca.
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker

My favourite combos are the ones that make me smile, not necessarily the instant kill or super control ones.

Legacy:

Thaumatic Compass + Connive – set opponent’s first creature to power zero then steal it – never not hilarious!

I’ve been playing with Sram. I used to have him in a Thopter deck but I’ve been playing around with

Sram + Wildwood Scourge + Old Gnawbone. Pump up the Sram!

Standard:

Hard to say since rotation, but I’m using Loyal Warhound + the MID dual lands a lot, loads of conversion plus free mana when the lands come into play – yum!