Nostalgia Session

Options
Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,277 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2021 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hey guys 🤗,

With the new collection coming, I keep thinking about everything that has happened so far...
There are already more than 100 Planeswalkers, more than 5000 cards, and a lot of different events. 
Magic: Puzzle Quest is already in its fifth year 🥰, and as I know that many of you have been here since the beginning, please join me in this nostalgia session.
So tell me:
  • What was/is your favorite set?
  • Which event do you currently like and which do you miss the most?
  • Which Planeswalker did you play the most over the years?

I would love to know more about your trajectory with Magic: Puzzle Quest! 🤩

Rebeca.

Comments

• BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Favorite set Ixalan and Rivals of Ixalan because those dinosaurs carried me back in the day.

My current favorite event is The Colossal Tussle and I really miss The Dragon War.

Sarkhan Unbroken a.k.a Brokhan and Karn are the Planeswalkers I have played the most with over the years.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Favorite set: Forgotten Realms (before this it was Dominaria)

Event I currently like: You Found and Enterance

Event I miss the most: The Original Rising Tensions

Planeswalker played most: This is a difficult question to answer, but it's most likely either Liliana, Death's Majesty, Kaya I, or Pirate Jace
  • spellsmasher
    spellsmasher Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    My favorite set : zendikar rising - wish there was more landforming. 
    Favorite event: hunter bonder, event I miss: Rising tensions the old 3 times weekly format, not the current event.
     Planeswalk : Brokekhan, because he is the boss in the trials. Though Ral, Kasmina, and nissa ww are fairly close.

• Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Favorite  set was inistrad. The power level was insane. And there are numerous legacy staples from that set. ALSO Ikoria is me recent fav. Mutation imo is the best mechanic adeptatio n you guys have done.

My favorite old event was the dragon War. Fun nodes great rewards! Now it's now contest size the day for the win. I lik the hyper block constructed events and it had the best rewards ( wish the pack drop rates wouldn't  if gotten nerfed) it used to be an easy 10,000+ orbs just from playing that event.

I've been here since orgins,each Era has had a different go to. I think sarkan (rug) has been. My most  used overall. RAL is the best imo
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Zzyzzx said:
    Favorite set: Forgotten Realms (before this it was Dominaria)

Event I currently like: You Found and Enterance

Event I miss the most: The Original Rising Tensions

Planeswalker played most: This is a difficult question to answer, but it's most likely either Liliana, Death's Majesty, Kaya I, or Pirate Jace
    I have NEVER  seen a pirate  jace every!
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    • What was/is your favorite set?
    Shadows over Innistrad/Eldritch Moon block. Still has many cards I use to this day.
    Right now I like Face The Hydra, and Fateful Showdown. Good rewards for easy effort.

I miss Quick Battle... Does that count? It was almost its own game. If that doesn't count, then Oath of the Gatewatch.
    My most played over the years is probably Kiora, but my best PW is Nicol Bolas God Pharaoh.
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Favourite set:
    Ixalan and Rivals of Ixalan. My first mythic was Etali, and I loved stealing all the cards I didn't have (I still do!) back when it had Haste so was even more powerful.
    Past event:
    The old version of Rising Tensions - fun and quick to play, excellent rewards especially the Mythic/500 orbs reward at the end. ZE is a mean replacement.
    Current event:
    I like the way Planeschasing Fblthp provides a way of using resources to get top cards. This event would be a great outlet to solve the duplicate Rare Vanguard problem. Colossal Tussle and Seize the Day are good fun to play.
    Planeswalker:
    Nicol Bolas God Pharoah. I can still remember the grind to get runes so I could level it up! (grinding for runes :smiley: those were the days!!!)

• Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Favorite set :
     Probably the innistrad block for the lore itself. It's much harder to chose a best set in terms of cards because we've Seen a lot of very cool ones over the years.

Past event :
    Rising tension (old version) was the beating Heart of the game when it was around ... I regret it each Time i play ZE.
    I Also Miss the HOD format for it really was designed to be a competitive event, not a Time sink nor a weekend filler. The high pressure level (mostly due to the less than 10 damage node) and the great payout if you managed a perfect score made it exciting to play without involving too much nodes.

Current event :
    I like the way fblthp works, both the event and the offers behind it. I also really like when i see a duel decks coming next weekend or when i see how Face the Hydra or Found an entrance are conceived as some kind of "storytelling".
    Overall i feel like any event that offers something more than the regular few nodes to play brings an healthy variety to the game.

Most played planeswalker

It would be too hard to pick the one i played most, but, if there had to be only one left i would probably pick Bolas2 (the ravager) : power, versatility, huge and polyvalent card pool, ability to cover several color nodes ... He's definitely one of the best Walkers to own ingame, if not the best.

• Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Favorite set would be Innistrad or ravnica not sure which. No favorite event but I do like any node where the enemy has several hundred health (I would love to see an enemy with over 1000 hp). Most played walker would be Karn followed by Koth and then Bolas the Ravager
  • Abracadavers
    Abracadavers Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    Favorite Set: Origins
    I realize I am probably in the minority on this one, but I think that considering that this set is legal in almost every event, it has a good mix of powerful and useful cards.  So many staples.

Favorite Event: Terror in the Shadows
    Yeah, the prizes are not great, but I enjoy the format.  I also much prefer the smaller brackets.  You can lose an objective and still be in it.  i.e. not want to quit the event when the slightest thing goes wrong.  I did enjoy the original Rising Tensions as well, but that was mostly because it felt like Training Grounds but got you the mythic every time to make it easier to craft what you needed.

Most Played Planeswalker: Nicol Bolas, God Pharaoh
    Sarkhan the Unbroken is probably a close second.  3 color planeswalkers seem to be a necessity most of the time, but I am starting to play more and more single color planewalkers lately.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    Options
    What was/is your favorite set?
    I don't know if I have a favorite set. All of them have had their pros and cons. Off the top of my head, Amonkhet/HoD were probably peak enjoyment for me, but I've also liked recent sets such as ZNR.

Which event do you currently like and which do you miss the most?
    Favorite event: Tough call. They're repeated so much that all of them are stale to me.  Avacyn's Madness is probably both my most and least favorite. From a design standpoint, I like that it is still challenging to this day, and that it has a number of either/or objectives that allow you to pivot mid-game if something doesn't work out. Other events lack that flexibility, which is to the game's detriment. 

However, it's also my least favorite because of the problem that plagues PVE events, which is the random end time. It's a stupid mechanic that disproportionately punishes some portion of the userbase every time it's run.

Which Planeswalker did you play the most over the years?
    Nicol Bolas, hands down. God-Pharoah remains the best planeswalker in the game, as far as I'm concerned.  I use Dragon-God just as much, but Bolas1 had a big head start.  I have a lot of others I play often in meaningless events. 

• AoMadness
    AoMadness Posts: 77 Match Maker
    edited October 2021
    Options
    So far adventures in the forgotten realm is my favourite sets, the new planeswalkers are a ton of fun and the cards are epic. It also brought my new favourite event you've found an entrance. So far Karn is my most played walker as the 0 coulr restrictions help me make silly combos
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options

Event I miss the most: The original rising tensions. That was a great event for beginners and vets alike. Beginning players got the chance to get 4 mythics that were much more powerful than most of the rest of their collection. Everyone got a pack and crafting orbs once you had the mythics. The secondaries were general enough to allow lots of experimentation with decks and gave beginning players good chances to meet the secondaries. And you could complete the event in 4 games if you got all the secondaries and won all of your matches. So it didn’t take forever to play which I think is very important in a daily event held during the week because that’s when people are working. My first account got to play the original rising tensions and it was amazing.

ZE is a poor, poor substitute. The rewards are way worse. It takes a minimum of 7 matches to earn 100 ribbons, so it’s almost twice as long as the original RT. Moreover, the secondaries are much more specific. I started a new account that is now my primary account and this has been the daily event for that entire account’s existence. I’ve noticed many players in bronze tier with low scores (5-25 ribbons) with less than an hour left to go in the event. It’s much harder for people with smaller collections to meet more specific objectives like are present in ZR, which means that they have to play more matches. My sense is that many bronze players are not able to complete the event, and I’ve also noticed that it seems like there are less bronze players playing the ZR daily events than there were before. I get that sense because now I’m often paired against an opponent who is more than 10 levels above or below my planeswalker’s level, which is a sign that there aren’t enough people playing it in bronze to always find level-appropriate opponents. The combination of specific objectives and many matches is terrible for newer players, who can't build unfair or busted decks because their collection is too small. So they either end up grinding this event out with fair decks, or they just don't complete it, or they stop playing it. Not a good introduction into this great game for newer players.

Newer players are less active on these forums than vets. I wish the developers would think about the experience for newer players more. I know it’s hard because you don’t hear from as many of those voices, but we want to make the game as enjoyable as possible for newer players so that we grow the game. Grindy events and challenging objectives are even more daunting for newer players because they don’t have as many cards and can’t build unfair decks that can win quickly.

Favorite current event: Seize the day and Fblthp.

Favorite set(s): I’ve only played since Dominaria. I think several of the recent sets have been quite good. Ikoria is a great set. The mutation mechanic is fantastic. AFR has lots of fun cards. STX is also a great set. Those three are my favorites.

Which PW do I play the most. For PvE events Ashiok 1 is my most used PW. For coalition events, Bolas 2 (the Ravager) is my most used PW. Other PW I use a lot include Garruk CH, Ral, and Sarkhan the Unbroken.

• Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My favorite set: toss up between Shadows over Innistrad (SOI) or Dominaria (DOM). I love that Innistrad flavor, and how well the mechanics tie to the lore, and the cards were absolutely bonkers powerful, but Dominaria had some of my favorite mechanics and most-used individual cards out of any set.

Event I currently like: Despite predictions that we would all find it a chore really quickly, I'm still really enjoying You've Found An Entrance.

Event I miss the most: The Dragon War, easily.

Planeswalker I've played the most: So, I don't do a lot of deck-teardowns-and-rebuilds. I tend to tinker with a deck for a given planeswalker until I get it to a state where I really like it. Then that deck slot is "complete" (in my mind) and I basically never touch it again, and I will use it for objectives that I think it can easily meet while it's standard, or for legacy events where it'll meet the objectives, after it rotates. But the end result of this way of using deck slots is, the older the planeswalker, the more likely it is that I filled all of their deckslots with decks that I really like, and don't want to take apart, but that are (now) Legacy decks I rarely have a reason to use. So, basically, a lot of Planeswalkers get used a ton during the Standard environment that I got them during, and then very rarely afterwards. (This could be fixed by giving us more deckslots! then we'd see which ones I really like...) The decks I still use all the time for Legacy events are mostly because of the objectives they meet, but the standouts that still get used all the time in Legacy events are Karn, Koth, and (believe it or not) Sorin 1.

Honorable mention goes to Gideon 1, Ob Nix and Kiora, who together pretty much carried me through the early days of this game.
  • TIMEWARP
    TIMEWARP Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    • What was/is your favourite set?
    My favorite set is Ravnica; I like the balance of the set and how it was adapted to PQ. It had loads of useful and versatile commons and uncommons, and had exciting rares/mythics to chase. Also the mechanics of each guild were excellently adapted to PQ and all were interesting to build around, like Jumpstart, Convoke and Surveil. Jumpstart is still the best executed way to cast cards from your graveyard (way better than Flashback or Graveyard gems).

I miss original Rising Tensions the most. Not only for the good number of nodes and refresh time, but mainly for the excellent rewards. Having a dupe mythic every 2 days is crucial for non paying players to have a remote chance of completing a set (excl masterpieces) before rotation. I like Rising Zendikar in that regard, but the payout could be a little higher, maybe add an additional tier for 120 points?
    From a rewards perspective I also miss original Chasing Fblthp. Non-dupe legacy boosters are *cheffkiss

In generally enjoy events that are PvP, have good secondary objectives that aren't ridiculous, offer good pay-outs (a good time vs pay-out investment ratio) and start with a few charges and have 8 hour recharges so that they allow for all players around to world to finish nodes before the end of the event. I also like events that incentivize playing with the cards of the set of the event, like casting X cards with snow, boast etc.

I Wish you could provide that data in game! I think I played the most with NB1. He is just very well-rounded and versatile. I enjoy the flexibility of the 3 color PW's the most (S3,narset, tamiyo, NB's). My favorite legacy PW's are Narset and Tamiyo.