So, I made a website for MTGPQ Coalitions.

Options
Larz70
Larz70 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
We have had Octal's mtgpq.info site, and wiki.mtgpq.info for years now.  I'm excited to announce a 3rd website that I've developed for the past few months primarily for coalitions and ultimately, for players who are looking for coalitions.

People who know me here know that I have been tracking and saving the top 10 coalition data and posted a while back what a Seasons Leaderboard would look like for coalitions and players alike.  Well, I finally upgraded my Google Sheet into a full-blown web app!

It contains 3 years worth of data for the group of coalitions I play with (GoblinPile, Tormented and D3nied), plus data for the last two months of the top 10 coalitions.  Most importantly, it has an upload form to help anyone who would like to save their data.  This will be particularly useful for players who are looking for active coalitions or coalition leaders of competitive coalitions who would like to see the players historical scores to see if they are a fit or not (scores can be faked, though, so be warned :(

I developed the site using python and django and hosted it at pythonanywhere.  I don't know about you but I really don't like clicking on links posted by random strangers unless I know it's legit (although it feels a little different here cause it seems like we've known each other for a while now...), so if you're interested in saving your data (or even just to contribute it for the sake of the project), send me a DM and I will give you the link.

Actually, I just got the idea of recording a brief youtube video and as soon as I figure out how to upload it, I'll share the link here.  Hope to hear from you!

Larry, aka Larz70.

Comments

• Larz70
    Options
    Here's the website demo youtube video link: https://youtu.be/aQo-wPDnY-M

The link to the website is in the description.
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Last weeks results are wrong, Gods of Theros 1st with 4663

EDIT:  Nevermind, I see its just for data you have, I got confused by "plus data for the last two months of the top 10 coalitions"
  • Larz70
    Options
    soultwist said:
    Last weeks results are wrong, Gods of Theros 1st with 4663

EDIT:  Nevermind, I see its just for data you have, I got confused by "plus data for the last two months of the top 10 coalitions"
    It would be great to have the data for Gods of Theros and other coalitions that consistently finish high in events but not in the games all-time list loaded into the database.  Is  @Poppy99 still around?
  • naabaldan
    naabaldan Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    We have collected data since 2019 of all events all 3 coalitions (MTGGOLDFISH, AlwaysMTG and Tremplers)
    Excel and Access Database, pls pm me for exchanging this data...
  • Larz70
    Options
    Thanks @naabaldan!

I have been busy and haven't updated my progress here.

About 2-3 weeks ago, I started hopping on the all-time top 200 coalitions and was able to capture 190+ screenshot of all the members of those coalitions.  You might have seen me join your coalition as player DaxosFTW.  I may have chatted with some of you who greeted me with a warm welcome.  The result, a leaderboard that shows more than 10 items:

https://ftamtgpq.pythonanywhere.com/coalition/125/coalition

I've also loaded about 2 years history for the top 10 coalitions, from YH1J to Oblivion.  Out of that, I was able to make the 2020 top 20 list:

Woot! I made the list, now you know I play the game a lot, maybe a little bit too much.

Capturing the scores takes me about an hour before and after each coalition events.  @Oktagon_Support, is this something I can get help with? ;p

If I have some time, I might post another video on how the whole thing is done, although it's quite boring and painful...

To learn how to help add your data, check out the youtube video above with a demo of how to upload your scores.  Thanks in advance if you do.
  • naabaldan
    naabaldan Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I do not want to upload per event, this to much work, I can provide an excel that contains all scores in the need way plus the event date and name to link the data... 
  • Larz70
    Options
    The upload per event was meant for the wider audience.  If you have a lot of data to load, better to just give me the data and I will load it all in one shot. 
  • Persil
    Persil Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Simply amazing work, Larz70.
  • Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    love it @Larz70
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My IGN is not accurate on this site. 
  • Larz70
    Options
    The names are converted from image to text by an OCR and it can get tripped up by the "I"s, "l"s and "1"s, same with "O"s and "0"s.  Isn't your IGN bken1234?
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Larz70 said:
    The names are converted from image to text by an OCR and it can get tripped up by the "I"s, "l"s and "1"s, same with "O"s and "0"s.  Isn't your IGN bken1234?
    No, and it hasn’t been here or in game for quite some time. 
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hey DaxosFTW @Larz70, you don't need to ninja your way into DimMak, you just needed to ask nicely.
    I take screenshots after each weekend event.
  • Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Zzyzzx said:
    Hey DaxosFTW @Larz70, you don't need to ninja your way into DimMak, you just needed to ask nicely.
    I take screenshots after each weekend event.
    Same goes for Brotastic. We often don't have an open slot for you to hop into, anyway.
  • Larz70
    Options
    Thanks @Zzyzzx and @Ampersand, but asking for screenshots is a lot more work.  I'm a programmer so I have automated a lot of the data gathering and unfortunately hard-coded the coordinates and locations of player names and scores onto the program.  As a result, screenshots sent to me by helpful folks were rendered useless because of the different resolutions and devices they were taken from.

So, I decided to just tough it out and jump onto as many coalition with open spots as I can, and ignore their accusations of poaching.  Really, I don't want your players to join GUAJURA ;p

Appreciate the offer though.  I would love to hang out and chat while on Brotastic and DimMak but at rank 21 and 22, respectively, that means I just started the work and still have 180 coalitions to go through.  Yes, it's a grind but the game has trained me to grind so I'm used to it lol.
  • Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Larz70 Gotcha, totally understand. I was just offering because unlike many/most Top20/Top10 coalitions, we don't rotate too much therefore we usually don't have an open slot for long stretches.