First strike critical bug issue [Investigating]

Kapoke69
Kapoke69 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
In my case i use Shaile dean of radiance at defend phase and kill opponent creature then the game stop running(not every time approx 40% ) ,i only have to quit, plz fix it thx

Comments

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    @Oktagon_Support seems to still be an issue
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards

Hello guys,

Thank you for all the information provided, this issue will be investigated!
    If you have any additional information that you consider relevant, please don't hesitate to send me 😊

Rebeca.

• stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Had this happen with Shaile while defending in Skoti Bloodlines earlier this week.
    Greg's Emeria Captain had prevent damage from valkmira (which wore off during combat) so it took no damage on the first strike defense from Shaile, then the captain's damage killed Shaile and the game stopped responding.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dang this is an old bug
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2022
    This bug caused me to lose a match during a team / weekend event when the AI played Shaile and berserked (thanks to the AI's Mila, Craft Companion) into one of my creatures and killed itself. The game also stopped responding with Shaile being a 4/0 creature. Needs to be fixed asap.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nearly a year...
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    This is a year old bug that has been relevant lately. Specially this weekend that we played The Kamigawa Run with a top node objective that makes you play with rares, uncommons and commons. 

This bug seems to have a lot to do with the even older bug that used to crash the game whenever a creature with an attached evergreen died.

Why? Because Shaile doesn't have First Strike itself. It gains First Strike because of its own ability and gives it to any other buffed creature. When it dies during combat the game has to resolve the combat damage, the creature dying and the removal of the added evergreens to itself and other creatures.

As you can see in Stikxs previous screenshot, since Shaile is already at 0 toughness it lost First Strike and Elspeth tokes lost it as well, only Sigrid kept it because it is part of her, it wasn't granted by Shaile.

When Shaile dies but not during combat the game only has to resolve the creature dying and the extra abilities (First Strike) being removed and the game never freezes.

I hope this extra info can be useful to kill this year old bug @Oktagon_Support
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    After sharing this info a coalition mate remindmed me of 2 other bugs that had been reported of first strike freezes that didn't involved Shaile. Those happened with Valor while it was in the graveyard in Seize the Day and High Alert. Those 2 cards have the same effect as Shaile, they give first strike to other creatures that don't have first strike by themselves so I did some testings in Story mode and here is what I found.

On this first video you can see a creature that does have first strike by itself being destroyed during combat and the game doesn't freeze

On the second video you can see a creature getting First Strike because of Valor and dying during combat and the game doesn't freeze because it was the only creature on my side of the battlefield

And on this last video you can see a creature getting First Strike because of Valor dying during combat and freezing the game because it wasn't the only creature on my side of the battlefield

https://imgur.com/a/ngBej0R

This proves that the bug doesn't happen because of First Strike by itself. It is a reincarnation of the old bug i mentioned before. It happens when a creature with an attached evergreen, in this case First Strike, dies during combat and the game tries to assigned that evergreen to the next available creature.

I hope this helps @Oktagon_Support