Adding monocolor lands to PMA

Options
andrewvanmarle
andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
Now I know that oktagon doesn't do "reprints" and it would mean adding something to the existing red pma but.....
It would help the game immensely to have a set of monocolor lands a always be standard. Personally I'd suggest the existing convert 3 lands including the oran reif one (green).

I shudder to think back to the days where we had to do with lands like cave of koilos, waiting and begging for an on color match.

With the rotation of eldraine we'll lose 2 of our 3 mono lands (and blue and black also lose an artifact and enchantment).
That'll be a blow, even with landforming.

Who knows what the next rotation brings, I'd just like to make sure we all have access to a strong converter in standard. 

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree, but I’m pretty sure a convert 3 gems in eternal standard is going to be a no-go. At best we can hope for a convert 2, if they are going to be eternal standard. 

Then Oktagon will retain the option to make masterpiece lands with convert 4, mythic lands with convert 3, rare lands with convert 2 and common lands with convert three for one turn.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great point @critman. I agree that one shot land converters is a bad concept, but it is really not a fight I expect to win. But we are venturing off-topic, so I’ll leave it at that.
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've always thought they could do basic lands as 2 shield non reinforcing convert 1 gem for a very low cost like 3 mana.
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    I've always thought they could do basic lands as 2 shield non reinforcing convert 1 gem for a very low cost like 3 mana.
    now that is a nice idea too. or go the route of the gates and and convert 1 per reinforcement. or shield.

I agree that convert 3 may be too much. but a convert 2  or the above shouldnt be too warping.

We don't get basic lands like in paper magic to control our mana gains, this would kinda fill that gap...
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you go for convert 2 then it sounds a lot like Nissa's Pilgrimage so that won't happen.
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    ArielSira said:
    If you go for convert 2 then it sounds a lot like Nissa's Pilgrimage so that won't happen.
    Because?
    First off: that card isnt a land and second it didn't stop the devs making a green convert 2 land did it.? Third, with cards like NP green always has the upper hand when it comes to conversion
  • versemage
    versemage Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The thing is that mana production has always been a green characteristic.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Because?
    First off: that card isnt a land and second it didn't stop the devs making a green convert 2 land did it.? Third, with cards like NP green always has the upper hand when it comes to conversion
    Your own comments already tell you why; if there is general conversion in every color it can't be better than what green has. The card being a land would make it even better as most removal is "non land".

So it would have to be a higher rarity, have a drawback or simply cost more than NP.
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    ArielSira said:

So it would have to be a higher rarity, have a drawback or simply cost more than NP.
    Then we can have the current convert 2,no?the cost more and are rare.... 
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    The color pie doesn't really translate from paper to pq.

It'd be better to reimagine the color definitions for pq.

Anyway, back to those lands :smile:

The green mono land could be cheaper or convert 3 instead of 2 etc etx
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    critman said:
    The color pie doesn't really translate from paper to pq.
    Not directly, perhaps, but it should be in the same ballpark!
    True, but that is why we should redefine the pie for pq: it doesnt really translate, it's much fuzzier here