Applications to the contest

Options
Bad
Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
I knew the game is able to register great amounts on its own. Mechanics like penance glaze, amounts on milestone perks, damage dealt on boss events...
But to register the damage of 5 versions of a character and sum up all damage all people playing will do...wow! That amazed me.
So, getting to the point, which applications could be put in use for us knowing that?

The most obvious one could be a collective in-game challenge, like to dealx millions damage with a specific character in a specific mode, and if the requirement is met( it could be a gauge for us players knowing the progress), then all players getting a reward, if not, nothing. 

Another one could be a mode like a pve boss event but playing in brackets, so players would be playing on their MMR, being a competitive mode and scoring extra if dealing damage with specific characters, rewards on progression and rank. That could be a pve more oriented to skilled play intead of fast clearing.
I think those additions could be funny, given the new found skills the game has.

Comments

• TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like the idea of a reward for doing X amount of damage by one character. Hopefully it would be a new release so everyone can start at the same time , and expire after a set time such as 4 weeks , where total damage can then be tallied and rewards given . 
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I could see a Cap vs IM or Heroes vs Villains-like event where players choose a node where only certain characters can be used. In this case there could be two applications:

PvE
    The entire MPQ community splits down the middle and battles it out against a boss to see which side wins. The conventional prize set-up based on ranking within the group could be utilized with an extra prize given to the winning side.

PvP
    Two versions of an event would be made available, but you can only choose one to partake in. Choosing one locks you out of the other. Players who choose Heroes (for example), can only use heroes and battle against those who chose villains. Those who chose villains can only use villains and must battle against those who chose heroes. Ranking and prizes would be structured the same as with other PvP events except you would have one list of prizes for the heroes and one list of prizes for the villains.
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Akoni said:
    I could see a Cap vs IM or Heroes vs Villains-like event where players choose a node where only certain characters can be used. In this case there could be two applications:

PvE
    The entire MPQ community splits down the middle and battles it out against a boss to see which side wins. The conventional prize set-up based on ranking within the group could be utilized with an extra prize given to the winning side.

PvP
    Two versions of an event would be made available, but you can only choose one to partake in. Choosing one locks you out of the other. Players who choose Heroes (for example), can only use heroes and battle against those who chose villains. Those who chose villains can only use villains and must battle against those who chose heroes. Ranking and prizes would be structured the same as with other PvP events except you would have one list of prizes for the heroes and one list of prizes for the villains.

This reminds me a lot of SplatFest for Splatoon 2. I think the trouble with this idea comes from when, say 75% of the people choose Heroes. A strict H-V match-up may not always be feasible in that case. So maybe there would be something in place to try and even the teams out. I like your ideas, though, so don't get me wrong. Civil War is a good thought. I would love to see the data set for all of the Iron-mans vs all of the Captains.

I guess, for me, I would love to just have the data sets available for each character and just peruse them at my leisure and look for surprises. Like, show me the stats for the June SHIELD Sim. That's what i want to see. What do people use for their Pick-3? And honestly, I want to see what others have to say about it, too. But I also have a Math degree, so I'm analytical like that. For example, maybe 3* Hawkeye is higher than you expect him to be. Why? Because his black pairs well with Polaris in a special tile meta. You could also see who does and doesn't get used fairly easily. I think it might also give a better idea of just how many people are playing at each tier. You don't often get a chance to see how many people are actually playing in the other SCL levels, or more specifically who they are using. That might become a lot more evident if a data set like this one were to be made public.

I guess an application of this data for game purposes, other than what has been mentioned, maybe have a Spider-man event (and it would be hilarious if the meme was the cover art for it) to see which one is the "real" Spider-man. But that's similar to the BW event now, so it's not really an original idea, I guess.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I didnt want to point out myself. That idea of the antagonic teams looks fantastic but the game is not equipped for that.
    Meta villains are apoc, onslaught, perhaps carnage. Dot. However meta heroes cannot be counted with a hand.
    Perhaps enabling boosts more villains could enter the fray.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Deal X Millions of Damage with Talos in PVP.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @hothie and @Bad

I agree with both of you. I realize there can be a disparity. Players will never actually do anything with a 50/50 ratio. Simple fix: auto select for players. A more fair approach is to apply a cap requiring the rest to register in the other when one fills. Heroes and villains was an example. Devs could literally take all of the characters and split them down the middle instead and have players form teams with what's available. For example, one group gets 50% of the meta characters and the other team gets the rest. The chances that any of this is applicable are slim, but it's a fun thought experiment.

Deal X Millions of Damage with Talos in PVP.
    I'm in. I don't even have him champed. He's soft capped and just sitting there, but if they did this, I'd go ahead and champ him.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,211 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thick as Thieves used to do something like this.  There was a global progress bar across the top of each sub that totaled up all points earned by all MPQ players in that sub.  Each map started off only half open.  Once players achieved a certain amount of points globally, the other half of the map opened up.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thick as Thieves used to do something like this.  There was a global progress bar across the top of each sub that totaled up all points earned by all MPQ players in that sub.  Each map started off only half open.  Once players achieved a certain amount of points globally, the other half of the map opened up.
    I thought I remembered something like this from back in my noob days. I enjoyed it, as it felt like the first time I was contributing something to the MPQ community as a whole. That was before I knew anything about the forums/Discord/LINE, etc. and my alliance was just a public bunch of randoms. I'd welcome something like that again, even if just a stand-alone event or part of some Puzzle Gauntlet.