How would you like to see enhanced gems work?

Options
Bil
Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
edited July 2021 in MtGPQ General Discussion
"Enhanced cards" are one of the main novelties introduced in the recent Strixhaven set.

Despite being full of promises, those cards and the whole mechanic tied to them (enhanced gems) have revealed themselves very hard to play. So hard to play that it generally feels pointless to try including them in a deck.
One of the reasons may be the way enhanced gems are counted towards enhancing cards. (In the current state, only hand-matched gems count ... Enhanced gems destroyed by other means have no effect)

For you players, How should enhanced Gems work to Make the mechanic reliable, balanced or fun to play ?

How would you like to see enhanced gems work? 20 votes

Enhancement mechanic is fine as it is (
0%
Enhancement should take in account indirect matches ( cascades and gem conversion)
80%
andrewvanmarleStormcrowZzyzzxTomBFirinmahlazerQuiksilverHgArielSiraBilAmpersandWulFgaR77TheophilusPanneoAsylambZethishcritmanKrizzB 16 votes
I'd love to see enhancements being more reliable but counting any match could result too powerful.
0%
I think the problem lies elsewhere.
20%
Larz70AbracadaversspellsmasherSchmara 4 votes

Comments

• spellsmasher
    spellsmasher Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    It would be nice just to have them spawn on your plane walkers colors. Though some cards just become speed bumps in a deck when they have not been enhanced.
  • Larz70
    Larz70 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Actually, my vote would be for a different solution.  While I would like cascades to count (I was actually expecting this to be the default), it could make hitting the even/odd conditions frustrating.
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    the first  cards in your initial hand should spawn gems. and cascades need to count 
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It would be nice just to have them spawn on your plane walkers colors. Though some cards just become speed bumps in a deck when they have not been enhanced.
    This is the number one thing that needs to happen if they actually want to save this mechanic
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It needs three things to be worth using regularly:
    1. Indirect matches to count - 100% this
    2. EVERY enhanced card should have confirm before casting
    3. More ways of generating enhanced gems, as there are with snow, energise, etc.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Xucachris said:
    It needs three things to be worth using regularly:
    2. EVERY enhanced card should have confirm before casting
    Good call. Some of the enhanced cards have downsides for casting them too soon. 
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Enhancement should take in account indirect matches ( cascades and gem conversion)
    Because I'd like these to work like Snow and Energize gems.
    It would be a lot more fun and a lot less frustration since Greg seems to match them more often than I do.