Two things I'd like fixed in game

helix72
helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
I was sitting comfortably in t10 in PvE until I missed a clear of one of the easy nodes in sub 2. Now, I know it's my own fault for not leaving enough time, but my issues is I left enough time but for 2 things the game does that I wish it didn't do:

#1: Randomly assigning boosts
Here's how it goes (and it happens way too much): I enter a node with 3 team-ups selected. I win the match without using a team up, and then go into the node again for my second clear with the exact same team. For some unknown reason the game has now shuffled everything assigned in the team ups slots including (sometimes) assigning random boosts in place of one or more of the 3 team-ups I had previously selected.

So I have to either check my team-ups every match and then go into the boost screen to remove ones that get assigned that I didn't want, or enter the match, burn the boosts I didn't want to burn, and wait for the banner to float across the screen reminding me a boost I didn't want is being applied. Both of these waste a few seconds--seconds I didn't budget for.

#2: Never-ending cascades after the KS
As if the first issue weren't enough, the nail in the coffin for me came when I started (and made the KS move) in the last node with 8 seconds to spare, only to sit and watch time tick away while some one in a million cascade kept the tiles dropping past the timer expiration. It's bad enough that you can't even see the top half of the game board when it opens because of the banners blocking it, forcing you (if you want to be fast) to find and prepare a match in the bottom half of the board. Only this backfires when said match creates a cascade that then goes on for more than another 10 seconds past when the enemy team is dead. I will say this doesn't happen every time--I have some matches where there are more cascades but they stop and the match ends when the enemy is dead. What I don't know is why it stops sometimes and not others.

Anyway, thanks for reading my whining. Have these "quirks" similarly annoyed/affected you? Or are the other game quirks you'd like to see fixed as well?

For those that don't know, KS=Kill Shot.

Comments

• supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Does mindless one sequential instead of parallel tile placement count? Or attack tile animations? Or that I need to buy boosts every 2,5 matches because of a „buy 5 only“ limit“? Or fatfinger-missing the boost popup close button and entering the shop? Or clicking through a myriad number of „claim“ and „next“ buttons? Or not seeing the number of clears of a pve node? Or wrongly selecting a pve node cause they are cramped up too close to each other?

Then I got nothing.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2021
    I think it stops when a power kills the last enemy.  If it’s simply tile damage, I think it plays out all the way to the end.

I don’t record matches and scrutinize them, but I think that’s why.  It bugged me at first when I was using Profslaught a lot because it was so nice to have matches wrap up so instantly.  But it was because either Prof or Onslaughts damage was killing them.  So we didn’t even need to see the whole cascade unfold.

Edit: also regarding boosts, I think it leaves your boosts alone unless you had a boost in place and then ran out of it.  But then later on at some point that boost was replenished.  Then it plugs that boost back in.  
    I hate that function too.  

Also I have come to keep in mind that a lot of annoying things about the game are kept in place in order to provide some minor differentiation between clear times.  I don’t play for placement, but if I was going for number one, even on those easy nodes, making one match might take a few seconds more to play out than another match.  
    So it enables the player who strategizes on that level a tiny advantage.  This is why I think also some node maps are so jumbled.  Like that one where it’s all over the place and some nodes are 1/1.  For the casual player, they don’t remember.
    But the top placement players know exactly which of those are trap nodes that don’t unlock anything. And can be saved for last.  So it’s annoying for me but I kind of understand why it exists.
  • Jimsta_rooney
    Jimsta_rooney Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    I hate the boost replacement too, annoying in lrs
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's really annoying when the game replaces one of your normal teamups with the all ap boost. Who knows how much hp I've lost because of it. I wish there was a way to lock a teamup into place so it couldn't be replaced with another one by the game. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    #1 needs a fix. Previously, it was some teamup bug. After the fix, it became boost bug, if I'm not wrong. When you are speeding through easy node hitting "replay mission" followed by "fight", and then you see the game assign you the last boost that you used up, you can't do anything to stop it from happening. So now, I'll live with it because it happens rarely for me: once per clear or grind.

• Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2021
    I have had the boost bug a few times during PVE clears.

If you don't notice it, it costs you ISO8 to refill, or in the case of +all AP boost, some HP to refill.

Very annoying to happen.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd rather gouge out my eyes with a rusty grapefruit spoon than play PvE with a stopwatch like you guys do.

That said -- PvE is (and has always been) "The Price Is Right." The winner is whoever can get closest to the actual time without going over.  If you're cutting it *that* close, there's a chance that you'll go over and miss.  The risk is what makes it fun.

Everybody is subject to the same random issues, and everybody has their own different risk tolerance.  It sucks losing due to something that isn't technically your fault, but if there weren't random derailers everyone would be able to cut it that close and it wouldn't be as fun.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2021
    shardwick said:
    It's really annoying when the game replaces one of your normal teamups with the all ap boost. Who knows how much hp I've lost because of it. I wish there was a way to lock a teamup into place so it couldn't be replaced with another one by the game. 
    If you select the team up, instead of letting the AI do so, it locks. Annoying, but it works
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 790 Critical Contributor
    658_2 said:
    shardwick said:
    If you select the team up, instead of letting the AI do so, it locks. Annoying, but it works
    According to the OP, it sounds like he did select his team-ups. Either way, it does not always remain locked. If anything changes, even for a second, it will begin to randomly change your team-ups and boosts.
    In the past, if I selected 3 team-ups, and battled with the same team, it would keep the same three team-ups... usually. If I change a character that is not featured in the team-up just to check some text, then decide to go back to the original character, my team-ups and boosts start to change at random from that point on. This occurs even if I switch from a Patch Wolverine (5/5/3) who is downed to a Patch Wolverine (5/4/4) at full health. I have also gone into my team-ups just to check my inventory only to find that my team-ups and boosts are now randomly selecting.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2021
    helix72 said:
    I was sitting comfortably in t10 in PvE until I missed a clear of one of the easy nodes in sub 2. Now, I know it's my own fault for not leaving enough time, but my issues is I left enough time but for 2 things the game does that I wish it didn't do:

#1: Randomly assigning boosts
    Here's how it goes (and it happens way too much): I enter a node with 3 team-ups selected. I win the match without using a team up, and then go into the node again for my second clear with the exact same team. For some unknown reason the game has now shuffled everything assigned in the team ups slots including (sometimes) assigning random boosts in place of one or more of the 3 team-ups I had previously selected.

So I have to either check my team-ups every match and then go into the boost screen to remove ones that get assigned that I didn't want, or enter the match, burn the boosts I didn't want to burn, and wait for the banner to float across the screen reminding me a boost I didn't want is being applied. Both of these waste a few seconds--seconds I didn't budget for.

As if the first issue weren't enough, the nail in the coffin for me came when I started (and made the KS move) in the last node with 8 seconds to spare, only to sit and watch time tick away while some one in a million cascade kept the tiles dropping past the timer expiration. It's bad enough that you can't even see the top half of the game board when it opens because of the banners blocking it, forcing you (if you want to be fast) to find and prepare a match in the bottom half of the board. Only this backfires when said match creates a cascade that then goes on for more than another 10 seconds past when the enemy team is dead. I will say this doesn't happen every time--I have some matches where there are more cascades but they stop and the match ends when the enemy is dead. What I don't know is why it stops sometimes and not others.

Anyway, thanks for reading my whining. Have these "quirks" similarly annoyed/affected you? Or are the other game quirks you'd like to see fixed as well?

For those that don't know, KS=Kill Shot.
    Thanks for writing these up. They are huge pet peeves for me, too. But I’ve been too lazy to write them up myself. 

I’d like to add: very long pauses at the end of nodes when using certain characters but not others. Playing with iHulk, there’s a long wait for nothing before the node closes post-victory. 
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    shardwick said:
    Having not fixed this for, what, 7 years? I have to assume this is an intentional, dishonest tax that gradually accumulates revenue. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Akoni said:
    658_2 said:
    shardwick said:
    According to the OP, it sounds like he did select his team-ups. Either way, it does not always remain locked. If anything changes, even for a second, it will begin to randomly change your team-ups and boosts.
    In the past, if I selected 3 team-ups, and battled with the same team, it would keep the same three team-ups... usually. If I change a character that is not featured in the team-up just to check some text, then decide to go back to the original character, my team-ups and boosts start to change at random from that point on. This occurs even if I switch from a Patch Wolverine (5/5/3) who is downed to a Patch Wolverine (5/4/4) at full health. I have also gone into my team-ups just to check my inventory only to find that my team-ups and boosts are now randomly selecting.
    It’s because the op selected the tu.  Locked it in,  then ran out of the specific item.  The aI still remembers the lock, fulfills with something else.

once you get more of the original resource, be it as prog reward, or bought from boost store,  the aI remembers and starts using the original resource again
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor
    helix72 said:

I'm not sure about your specific experiences, but for me the answer to this question has been quite clear and can be anticipated/disregarded/welcomed. The answer (as has been the answer to MANY things since her release) is POLARIS.

I too hated the "post-victory" cascade shenanigans. I would avoid them at all costs, but I don't anymore. Or at least not when using Polaris. Assuming your "kill-shot" involved matching a SAP tile (friendly or enemy) her resulting passive damage takes proc priority over the subsequent cascades. As soon as the the last enemy is KO'd and the passive calculates the resulting damage, the battle ends immediately, mid-cascade even. Instant Victory Banner, then move on, No Exceptions (that I have every seen, at least).

Seeing as how I run Polaris in 90+% of my PVE and PVP battles, I now don't have to tip-toe around a looming cascade near the end of a match. BRING IT ON. Polaris is SO GOOD that she can even stop cascade overkill; and that, my friends, is just reason #101 that she is meta in my book.

All Hail Queen Polaris!!
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    That definitely would be frustrating, but no, there was no Polaris on my team. It was 4* Grocket, 4* Juggernaut, and 3* Star-Lord. A single match took down the whole enemy team, but then led to the never-ending cascade.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    That extra damage from Juggernaut doesn’t end matches probably for whatever coding that also makes Okoye and Apoc not boost his damage.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was deliberately coded that way. Case in point, he still triggers Kitty's cd that creates 3 attack tiles even though she mentioned that it must be due to power.