Perpetuum mobile?

qandols
qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
I'm trying to play Welcome to SHIELD first node Mantis vs. Venom. I got out a green repeater that stuns Venom for three turns and heals him to full health. The repeater ended up on the bottom and after a couple of minutes I grew tired and bailed. I suppose I should have waited for a couple of Venoms protects, but they hadn't showed up yet. Oh, well. Wonder if this crazy side effect was considered?

Comments

• qandols
    edited June 2021
    I have tried more than five times now, but however I try her green/yellow mechanism I end up continually stun/heal Venom. Anybody who beats this is welcome to elaborate in this thread. Edit: You have to match the repeater to deal damage to Venom and be stunned yourself. I had some very stale boards and I could never match the tile.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    She's a support character. You need to match damage him to death. By the time Venom gives you 2-3 protect tiles, she's probably half dead. 

So, never use her green power.  Your red, blue and purple match will deal +25% due to his ability.
  • qandols
    Terrible way to showcase a new character in my opinion.
  • HoundofShadow
    Even if the opponent is Talos, you will have difficulty beating him if you stun him. Her best opponent is probably 3* Patch or 4* Carnage.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got the corner tile too. took about 15 minutes before the board re-shuffled. was able to blow it away with a match 4, then fire green 3x in a row and match. if that repeater is un-matchable though. damn. if there's any way to pull a rapid change i'd suggest allowing user placement of that countdown.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bailed first fight as was as described above. Second fight I let Venom feed me shields and sat on green until I could cast, match, cast, match. She is not a 1 V 1 star that is for sure but in a team she is awesome.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same problem here, I ended up in infinite stun/heal due to bad tile at bottom. Took 10 minutes before I could remove it via a match 4.
    Her Green is a really risky play due to the bad placement issue. I had 30 AP in all colors before I finally managed to win and even then I would have been dead in 1 more turn as Venom had the Yellow to kill me so I was forced to cast her Green and hope for a good placement.
    Her Clash is going to be super hard to win because she's easily the worst 1v1 character I've seen unless Demi is generous and makes it against Carnage.
    KGB
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    It'd be nice if they weren't locked into 1v1 format for some of this stuff, because some characters are way better at that than others, and for whatever reason first impressions are really important in this game. 

If someone's bad at 1v1 they can get tagged with "this guy is awful" and it follows them around forever.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    My first two attempts I was similarly stymied. Ended up retreating both, but she’s a loaner so no health packs spent. From then I just focused on collecting green and waiting until it was possible that the repeater would go on a green tile I could match away. Still got unlucky the 3rd time, 4th time worked out.
  • Farii
    Farii Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Team-up. I stunned Venom, collected enough team-up tiles for C4rol's Photonic Barrage that I happened to have and that's it. Solo Mantis doesn't quite beat Throg vs. Throg, that was endless.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    i actually think this is a good example on HOW to use her. She needs to take a bit of damage, and needs both yellow and green AP to shoot the powers together.

if your opponent is STUNNED, and you match an opponents tile, the countdown will hit HARD, instead of a stun.

I used the green repeater to stun Venom, then matched a few of the protect files (that i'd flipped) and it was fairly easy. 
    it does highlight how she's a good support character, and I don't think she's been made to be a solo.

my prediction with her clash? either Rocket or Daken as the opponent :)
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    She starts off with green and yellow AP
    have they done that before?  Makes me think they recognized the issues with it and wanted to give you a little advantage.
    I wiped the first time and had to really strategize for the rematch so
    I also thought it was a fun fight and kind of well designed. 
  • HoundofShadow
    It has been always like this.
  • Romanshi
    Romanshi Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Get green, stun him and set up the board. Let him fire his yellow a couple of times so you get a couple of shields. Stun him again with either green or purple, set up the board, give him your shields (while healing yourself) and finish him off with matches. Need some luck for all of this, succeed on my 3rd try.
  • qandols
    Have tried up to ten times. There has never been enough yellow tiles to do anything useful. I have never dared to use green again. Bailing this node, shame.