Terror In The Shadows need to rewards

Wolfteeth
Wolfteeth Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
It’s a joke at this point, can we beef up these rewards?

Comments

• TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I usually just ignore it when they run it...<shrugs>
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Terrors is still my favorite event, but they have nerfed the rewards HARD over the years.
    Its such a shame they don't want anyone to play it anymore.
  • Persil
    Persil Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2021
    I agree with you guys, sadly they don't care ;)
  • Mburn7
    Possible compromise:  keep the rewards the same but let us use the correct acronym for the event on the forums.
    I miss talking about **** here :D
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    The game's success depends on Oktagon actively thinking about its offering for all categories of player.  Although veterans might have stockpiled tens of millions of runes, they're vital for new players.  It might even be by design that some events aren't attractive for veterans, to create at least some spaces where newer players have a higher chance of ranking well.
  • Mburn7
    Volrak said:
    The game's success depends on Oktagon actively thinking about its offering for all categories of player.  Although veterans might have stockpiled tens of millions of runes, they're vital for new players.  It might even be by design that some events aren't attractive for veterans, to create at least some spaces where newer players have a higher chance of ranking well.

Is a Legacy event that requires specific creature types that have not been printed in several years really the place for noob-specific rewards?  I would understand if we were talking about the Chandra event or one of the new solo pve ones.  But for Terrors specifically this argument doesn't make any sense.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Mburn7 said:

Is a Legacy event that requires specific creature types that have not been printed in several years really the place for noob-specific rewards?
    There's no need to guess since it's easy to check what's actually been released.  In the most recent set alone there are 6 ways to summon vampires and 19 ways to summon spirits, with wolves available in the previous set.  Plenty of all in ORI too.
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Volrak said:

It is by design that this event, and one or two others, are heavily rune based with not much else for rewards.  I don't feel like sifting through change-logs right now, but the last time these event rewards were adjusted, it was during a time where runes were a fairly scarce commodity.  We were begging Hibernum to give us a means of earning runes, because quick battles was gone and training grounds wasnt good enough.  Grinding a specific fight in heroic story mode was a better option than anything else we had.  Hibernum went through and adjusted these "at the time" old events to give runs, and "at the time" newish events gave almost only crystals (all of these events are really really old now).  Then we had coalition events to give us packs and jewels.  This is also when they changed the old PVE coalition events like Fateful Showdown and Revolt Against the Consulate into single player PVE events like we have now. 
    This had to have happened around the time of HOU, because we still have Return of the God Pharaoh as a PVE coalition event.  I remember they really struggled to convert Trial of Zeal from a coalition event to the single player PVE format.  I'm fairly certain Oktagon made the final adjustments on that one.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know who at D3 needs to hear this, but: RUNES ARE NOT A REWARD.
    “Runes Are Not A Reward”

Well first, as the mod I must remind you that ALL CAPS are a violation of forum rule 15, please don’t do this again @Firstofhisname419 or I will give you a warning. 

Second, when you earn runes, do they add to the existing currency you have? Do you indeed earn them for completing events? If you answer yes to both of these, I would say they are, indeed a reward. 
    You might want to change this to “runes are not very useful to me” or “I would prefer something other than runes”. However you’re playing a game with thousands and thousands of other people who find runes very useful and helpful—- and your elitist mindset is likely a minority opinion. 
    Perhaps a more useful way to spend your time is to skip events where you don’t like the rewards and play events where you find the rewards to be of use if this is your motivation for playing the game. 
    Or you could just play the events you find fun and get what you get and be grateful that up and coming players are also getting the runes they need so that they stay engaged and the game continues to grow. 
    Also, just a reminder, lay off the ALL CAPS so I don’t have to formally warn you. Thank you. 

• bk1234
    Mburn7 said:
    Possible compromise:  keep the rewards the same but let us use the correct acronym for the event on the forums.
    If you remember correctly, that was stopped because a female player asked for it to be changed and the community agreed to respect her wishes. Way to stay classy MBurn. 
  • versemage
    versemage Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Perhaps some clarification is in order: runes are a sorry excuse for an event reward. Especially when they're consistently handed out as bonuses for lesser accomplishments, ie. completing objectives, duplicate cards, even losing a match for crying out loud. Now I don't mind if runes are interspersed with more meaningful rewards, but just runes and obsolete boosters are a waste of event time that I could be playing for something useful. Either that or make runes useful for more purchases, you know, since it is a form of currency and all.
  • bk1234
    versemage said:
    Perhaps some clarification is in order: runes are a sorry excuse for an event reward. Especially when they're consistently handed out as bonuses for lesser accomplishments, ie. completing objectives, duplicate cards, even losing a match for crying out loud. Now I don't mind if runes are interspersed with more meaningful rewards, but just runes and obsolete boosters are a waste of event time that I could be playing for something useful. Either that or make runes useful for more purchases, you know, since it is a form of currency and all.
    Again, this is your perspective, but to a new player who doesn’t have a legacy collection, those packs are priceless. To a returning player who took several years off and now has a ton of PW to level, those runes are necessary. This game doesn’t revolve around those of us who have been playing for 4-6 years. It depends of those who continue to enter it fresh, yet it has legacy content and needs to offer them a chance to earn that content as rewards. 

Like I said, maybe these events aren’t for you if your motivation for playing events is rewards. If your motivation for playing events is fun and you don’t care about rewards as a long time player, by all means. Personally — I got my fill of them a long time ago. I don’t find them fun anymore and I don’t find the rewards useful. I skip them and use that time to do meaningful things in my real life, so that the players who need the better rewards can earn them. (You know the thing that happens when you turn off the game and put the phone down). 
  • versemage
    versemage Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    How about this as a compromise: if they're going to continue to drown us in a deluge if runes, how about providing us long-timers an alternate use for them. Purchasing the occasional new Planeswalker, maxing them out and buying them an extra deck slot barely makes a dent in a lot of our rune coffers. I'm all for helping out new players, but them company shouldn't disregard those of us that helped to bring them to the dance. Give us some use for the millions of runes that some of us have and continue to acquire. That really does not seem unreasonable to me, yeah?
  • Persil
    Persil Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2021
    I agree with versemage. There are only a number of PWs that are worth buying. After more or less a year you face the problem of useless runes - it's not that you need to play for years.

And it's not that they are neutral - to me, getting them starts to become a drawback which discourages from playing. Zendikar Expeditions is the best example. Getting Runes twice in a row (for 30 and 40 points) actually feels like a punishment, not a reward.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Persil said:
    I agree with versemage. There are only a number of PWs that are worth buying. After more or less a year you face the problem of useless runes - it's not that you need to play for years.

And it's not that they are neutral - to me, getting them starts to become a drawback and discourages me from playing events. Zendikar Expeditions is the best example. Getting Runes twice in a row (for 30 and 40 points) actually feels like a punishment, not a reward.
    I couldn't agree more.
  • bk1234
    jtwood said:
    Persil said:

And it's not that they are neutral - to me, getting them starts to become a drawback and discourages me from playing events. Zendikar Expeditions is the best example. Getting Runes twice in a row (for 30 and 40 points) actually feels like a punishment, not a reward.
    I couldn't agree more.
    In a year of playing weekend events only, I have managed to level 4 PW completely and save less than a million runes. 

Tell me how a player who isn’t grinding this game constantly could actually level all the PW they need both to be competitive and have fun with the runes they would earn in a year. 
    I swear you all only see this game from a competitive, full time player elitist lens. There’s no room for players who don’t play exactly like you in your thought process. It’s the same argument for years now. Care more. These players are why you still have a game to play. 
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2021
    I think what players are asking here is a situation where ANY kind of player could find something to do with this currency ... 

It does not seem particularly fair to ask full Time players to get satisfied with an "useless" currency ( that probably represent 60% of the rewards they earn ) just because casual players still have planeswalkers to level.

The right solution would be ... As mentionned earlier ... To have an alternative use for runes so everyone could find them useful.

( I remember alternative arts as one of the balanced options mentionned by players... But instead of this they introduced alternative arts for crystals ... A currency that was already under tension because it pays for both Walkers and cards)
  • Mburn7
    bken1234 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    If you remember correctly, that was stopped because a female player asked for it to be changed and the community agreed to respect her wishes. Way to stay classy MBurn. 

Actually I never knew that (or if I did it has been long forgotten).  I just thought it was a generic forum flag.
    I mean no disrespect, just some off-color humor.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    bken1234 said:
    jtwood said:
    Persil said:

I couldn't agree more.
    In a year of playing weekend events only, I have managed to level 4 PW completely and save less than a million runes. 

Tell me how a player who isn’t grinding this game constantly could actually level all the PW they need both to be competitive and have fun with the runes they would earn in a year. 
    I swear you all only see this game from a competitive, full time player elitist lens. There’s no room for players who don’t play exactly like you in your thought process. It’s the same argument for years now. Care more. These players are why you still have a game to play. 
    I definitely care. Those new players need more gold than they are getting. I couldn't imaging starting this game now. It would be such an uphill battle into a headwind on a snowy day. The resource payouts, in aggregate, are barely enough to keep up; let alone to catch up from being behind by years.