So I erred, they've never had free 5-card daily boosters. But having them would be awesome, amirite?

Options
Scrounger
Scrounger Posts: 64 Match Maker
Thanks to @Volrak for pointing out that there have never been 5-card free daily boosters. The max has been 3-card free daily boosters.

But I think switching the free daily rewards from (1) 3-card standard dupe packs that refresh every 6 hours to (b) 5-card standard dupe packs that refresh every 8 hours would be a great thing for several reasons.

First, virtually no one can actually claim the current free daily boosters 4 times in one day. We're not zombies that never die and never sleep. We're mortals. So that means that for virtually all players they get 9 free cards a day. Switching it to 5-card packs every 8 hours means that most people will now get 10 free cards a day, and more people will be able to claim all the possible rewards in a day because an 8-hour refresh is more consistent with how most people actually sleep.

Second, the recent evens D3 has created have a recharge time of 8 hours or longer. So have the recharge timer on free daily booster packs be 8 hours makes sense. They have had events with 6-hour recharge periods like RaW, but -- thank heavens -- the more recent events they have been making have at least 8 hours between charges. (Some have much more than that, like The Colossal Tussle and Skoti Bloodline, which have a recharge period of 23.5 hours.) I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that the community appreciates less grindy events with at least 8 hours between charges because that is more conducive to living a normal life.

Third, as many have noted recently, with the lack of events giving Kaldheim and Strixhaven reward packs, it's hard for f2p players to get cards from these sets. Upping the free daily booster reward from 3-card packs to 5-card packs will slightly increase the chances players have to pull cards from the newer sets. As mentioned above, this change for most players will mean they will get 10 free cards a day rather than 9. And for some, they will get 15 free cards a day rather than 9.
Fourth, since the odds of pulling rares or better from the free daily boosters are substantially lower than other standard packs, the impact on the health of this game's economy (that is, D3's revenue), should be negligible to nonexistent. People spend money to get exclusive cards, to get PW, and to get powerful cards, which are almost always rare or higher in terms of rarity. What you get from the free daily reward packs are commons and uncommons. Giving people more of a chance to pull those cards isn't going to disrupt the economy of this game, but it will allow f2p and newer players to accumulate cards from the new sets more quickly and to make decks featuring the newest mechanics and ideas. This enhances the fun for f2p and newer players and, I would argue, players that are having more fun with the game and are more satisfied with the experience are more likely to spend money on the game. (I'm proof of this. I'm f2p, but this past December I spent some money because I was enjoying the game so much and because there were good sales.)

In sum, this is a small change, but I think it would make an oversize impact on the experience of newer and f2p players, that would make this game healthier and continue to grow, which is something we all want, as fans of this game. And I think the case for doing this is especially strong given the paucity of packs that players can earn as rewards from Kaldheim and Strixhaven right now.