Couple of noob questions

Options
OzzieArcane
OzzieArcane Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
I came back to the game recently and man are things different. Last time I played team-ups weren't even a thing.
That also means neither were the daily or milestone quests. So I got a question regarding one of those. There is a quest for getting 14 two star characters championed. I realize there are only 14 in the game including Bag Man who is only available at limited times. So the question I have is it possible to instead just sell a character you have at Champion and redo them for the quest?
Secondly I've seen people talk about getting rid of 2 star characters, but I keep seeing stages that require me to use them and don't offer a loaned character. Do those require different characters at higher levels and is that why it doesn't matter if you hold on to them?

Comments

• Sithforever
    Sithforever Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Keep two stars as they are required for Daily Deadpool Quest and other random things. As far as quest milestones  go absolutely you can repeat on characters to champ for quests.
  • Carnifex
    Carnifex Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2021
    Options

Secondly I've seen people talk about getting rid of 2 star characters, but I keep seeing stages that require me to use them and don't offer a loaned character. Do those require different characters at higher levels and is that why it doesn't matter if you hold on to them?
    People farm 2* characters. When you have a 2* fully champed and earned all champion rewards, lots of players then sell that character and then reroster them as soon as they have the next available cover to do so. That way you always have that character rostered and always earning resource rewards. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2* are also required for alliance events. If your alliance struggles during boss events, those extra nodes will help. 

If you play scl 10 pve, 2* are not required.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I came back to the game recently and man are things different. Last time I played team-ups weren't even a thing.
    That also means neither were the daily or milestone quests. So I got a question regarding one of those. There is a quest for getting 14 two star characters championed. I realize there are only 14 in the game including Bag Man who is only available at limited times. So the question I have is it possible to instead just sell a character you have at Champion and redo them for the quest?

I've been playing 3 and a bit years. Time sure flies. My anniversaries are just before Valentines day xD.

For the "champ X number of rarity tier" you can do that multiple times for the same character if you so wish.

My strategy for progressing has always been linear. With HP, and then ISO8 being the biggest roadblocks.  

So you want to roster all of a tier, then champ them as you roster the next tier.

Roster all 2s. Champ all 2s while rostering the 3s. Champ all 3s while rostering the 4s. Champ all 4s while rostering the 5s. 

The reason for this, is the game gives you more 2star covers than 3star covers. More 3star than 4 covers and more 4star covers than 5star covers. So it takes the longest to champ 5s. Both due to getting the 13 covers and enough ISO8 to champ them.

Furthermore, you use the rewards from going beyond championing. So you earn the 2s and 3s quicker than 4s and 5s. Again because the covers are easier to obtain.  

If you don't hold onto your 2star covers, then you are missing atleast 3 deadpool daily node clears a day.  

During PVE events, you can't get all the points and rewards from the 2star nodes each day if you dont have the 2star rostered.  

2stars are also required for boss events. So you'll miss a few hits every 8 hours during boss events if you lack the 2star.

Hopefully this makes sense. You want to build up a good base roster so that you earn as much Iso8, tokens, HP and CP daily.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I do wonder how realistic a concept champing all the 4* is these days unless you have been playing constantly for a long time. Even years ago there was complaints about 4* dilution which lead to Vaulting and the "Latest 12" solution. Now that we have over 100 4* it just seems impossible for a new or returning player to be able to chase them all and progress.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Given that majority are not interested in champing all characters, just having one cover of 4* is enough. All you need are Polaris, Juggernaut and R4G to be competitive.

Shards were created/modified in response to the needs/feedbacks of the majority of players. So, favourite ancient characters can be champed via milestone rewards and shards. It's possible to champ new 4*, and older 4* would take a longer time.

I would say 3-4 years to champ 100 4* if you are f2p and plays competitively. Never if you play casually and don't spend.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2021
    Options
    As a relatively new 4* player I have 12 champed (highest level Cpt Marvel @ 278), an additional 23 between 10 and 12 covers and the remaining below 10. Of the meta, I am working on Karnak, America, and Sabertooth. I expect Beast and Morbius will be meta but they are both at 10 to 12 covers so should be champed pretty easily. Elsa Bloodstone is, as of yet, unrostered.

I would guess it took about six months to get to this point from having my first 4* champed, though I do not necessarily play optimally. Getting about 50 to 75% champed should be relatively easy but I have my doubts they will all get there before I am playing almost exclusively with 5*. 
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    My 4's got covered and champed organically as I went along whilst shards make newer 4's relatively easy to cover. The problem is - is there a point outside of collectability? I will say that having a large champed roster of 4* rewarded me at Milestone-mas but I didn't necessarilly chase them, it just happened along the way.
    It used to be when we had SHIELD Training that there was an incentive to level 4* characters to Lvl 209 which provided some degree of a need to chase so that you could complete the event, even if you didn't champ them they still got some iso. Now, though, that is gone. It also doesn't really help that 4* PvP is not a regular thing either (it was supposed to be!) and so the characters are rarely essential where you would want them at higher levels apart from the occasional appearance in PvE.
    Sadly a large part of the 4* tier is irrelevent (possibly the 5* tier too) in such a way that chasing it instead of concentrating on new releases (regardless of how good) is probably detrimental.
  • Sekilicious
    Options
    Detrimental perhaps if your goal is to make it into five star play in the shortest path possible, then say your done (like bbigler did back in the day). But my understanding is that if you want a healthy income of CP and 5* shards you need a broad and varied 4* champ roster. 
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Detrimental perhaps if your goal is to make it into five star play in the shortest path possible, then say your done (like bbigler did back in the day). But my understanding is that if you want a healthy income of CP and 5* shards you need a broad and varied 4* champ roster. 

Oh don't get me wrong - that is exactly what I did. I have every 4* either champed or champable bar Dark Beast (nearly there), Morbius, Monica and Cap Worthy (I sold mine after the nerf) but I have seen a lot of players who have adopted the fast track method (one such liked to boast about it before he got banned!) so I dunno if I am a bit of a Dinosaur.
  • Sekilicious
    Options
    You are most definitely a dinosaur, haha. Hopefully you have devil dinosaur champed. I also think your method (patience and building a broad roster) is the most sustainable way to progress without spending $1000/month. At least that is what I gather reading these forums, but it is also populated by long term players who took a similar path. Maybe I am also holding myself from SCL10 play sooner by having not hoarded so I can immediately champ Colossu5, 5witch, with whomever is next after Sighclops. Who knows. I enjoy they path I have chosen. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's important to know what kind of player you are and stick with it.  I have been with the game for over six years and have almost every 4* champed (Morbius and Monica are the outliers).  I also have 27 5* champed (all metas except Onslaught).  I am not a hoarder and prefer to open as I go just because it is more fun for me.  This means I do miss out on 5* from time to time (Adam and Cyclops are two examples where RNG has not been good) but I am ok with that.  The game is a past-time for me.  I enjoy it but not obsessed with it.
  • KC_Hammer
    KC_Hammer Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    What I do for 2*s is once they are max champed, I just keep covers until one is about to expire. Then I sell the max 2* and use all the saved up covers.  by that time i can usually immediately rechamp immediately or am within a cover or 2 if i'm unlucky. Keeping the champed 2*s means that when i need to use them they don't immediately die and i need to waste health packs on them.
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I do wonder how realistic a concept champing all the 4* is these days unless you have been playing constantly for a long time. Even years ago there was complaints about 4* dilution which lead to Vaulting and the "Latest 12" solution. Now that we have over 100 4* it just seems impossible for a new or returning player to be able to chase them all and progress.

I recently passed 1,000 days and have all but Taskmaster and the 2 newest 4 stars ready to champ.  I'm mainly free to play and have hardly put any levels into five stars (thus saving that ISO), probably 30 weeks or there abouts until I finish my fours.  Although shards make the covers easier ISO income and number of characters are the main factors; I'd be impressed if anyone starting now and playing F2P/minimal spend could champ all the fours in under 4 years.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    It took me about 3 years plus as a competive f2p to champ more than 100 4*. It took me about 1 year of doing so to be able to have enough resources to champ all 3 latest 5*, but you need to skip 4* land.

I say it's possible to 13-cover all 4* within 3-4 years if and only if players play competitively. "Competitively" in this context means getting either top 5 or top 10 in PvE SCL 6 and SCL 7 consistently and regularly. Likewise for PvPs, hitting top 5 or top 10 or at worst top 25 (scl 9 only)  in  SCL 9 consistently and regularly, and hitting 50 wins or 1000 points consistently in SCL 8 and above. But first, players have to focus Polaris, R4G and Juggernaut in this order as their core 4*.

If players can do that, they won't have problems catching up (13-cover) with all 4* released within 3-4 years. I don't think it's necessary to champ all 4*. Even though I have enough resources to champ other 4*, I'm not champing them because I don't see a need to do so. 

Ultimately, players need to have a plan laid out and stick to it, unless it's necessary to modify them.
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I returned to the game about 16 months ago. At the time, I had some 4* but none with many covers. I now have about 90 recruited and 22 champed (now finally working on Juggernaut). I've mostly been playing fairly casually so my ISO8 hoard was hovering around 2million for most of that time. Lately, I've been a little more efficient at getting 4* and opening some of my LL hoard resulted in my ISO8 hoard dropping to below 1million. I guess at some point I will have to start making decisions between champing 4* or levelling 5* (I now have 3 of those at lvl 330, but am getting the impression that I should avoid letting them get too high too quickly), so, yes, I don't expect to ever champ all of my 4*. Still, I do appreciate having a broad roster. I enjoy varying which characters I play with. It may not be the most competitive way to play although it does at least save on health packs.