1200 points territory

Options
BlixTheFrog
BlixTheFrog Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
Hey all ! I’m now passing the 1200 threshold at each PVP event, sometimes at the price of quite a few shields. 
I seem to see players with line-ups around my own that often reach 1500 or higher..  is there a method I don’t see to climb up like that without spending 1000 HP per event ?
Or will it come naturally when my heavy hitters buff up ?

Comments

• helix72
    helix72 Posts: 992 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A few things:

1) It does get easier with stronger rosters.

2) Timing matters. When you start, when you shield, and when you hop can all impact your score. Towards the end of an event more points are available but more folks are shielded.

3) What slice you play matters. I’ve almost always played S1 because it has a lot of players and thus more available points. Some slices have alliances that essentially “own” the slice making scoring high very difficult.

4) The majority of high scorers (but not all) coordinate in some way, either within their own alliance or via a 3rd party app (like LINE).

I have personally seen some folks with really strong rosters climb to almost 3K before using a single shield.

Hope this helps!
  • BlixTheFrog
    Options
    helix72 said:
    A few things:

1) It does get easier with stronger rosters.

2) Timing matters. When you start, when you shield, and when you hop can all impact your score. Towards the end of an event more points are available but more folks are shielded.

3) What slice you play matters. I’ve almost always played S1 because it has a lot of players and thus more available points. Some slices have alliances that essentially “own” the slice making scoring high very difficult.

4) The majority of high scorers (but not all) coordinate in some way, either within their own alliance or via a 3rd party app (like LINE).

I have personally seen some folks with really strong rosters climb to almost 3K before using a single shield.

Hope this helps!
    It does !
    I already stuck to slice 1, only playing slice 2 when I really want to rank higher. 
    My method for now is to climb to around 1000-1050, shield and then watch for higher ranked people to jump and « select » them in my three possible targets. Then attack them later. 
    What I’m still struggling with is to find the best moment to do that first climb and not get clobbered around 900 points.
  • Siv75
    Siv75 Posts: 55 Match Maker
    edited April 2021
    Options
    helix72 said:

Would you be willing to elaborate more on this? My current practise is to
    1) go to 500 early on. People still dont really notice me at that level. 
    2) wait till 11 hours left, then push to 1200 and to infinity and beyond
    3) shield 3 hrs, look for 3 nodes with good points
    4) hoppity hop at 8 hours left by quickly attacking any node saved with good pointage
    5) shield 8 hrs. 

I still consider myself a newbie at L10 PvP though and want to improve. I've reached 1500 once but no higher...and am perplexed how one reaches 3000++. Any detailed tips would be helpful.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Teams that coordinate often leave easy to beat teams out for a few seconds so that other teams can queue them up for a shield hop. So, while you queue up beast teams and try to hop as fast as you can, inevitably getting hit once or twice because the matches take a while, others are winning faster, for more points, and shielding quicker.
    Bottom line, the reason they can do that is they have an advantage you don't. Your options are to join them or hoard until you can pull for 550s, at which point you can usually climb whenever you want with relative ease.
  • BlixTheFrog
    Options
    Siv75 said:
    helix72 said:

2) wait till 13 hours left, then push to 1200 and to infinity and beyond
    4) hoppity hop at 8 hours left by quickly attacking any node saved with good pointage
    5) shield 8 hrs. 

I still consider myself a newbie at L10 PvP though and want to improve. I've reached 1500 once but no higher...and am perplexed how one reaches 3000++. Any detailed tips would be helpful.
    What characters are you generally using, at what levels ? Just to compare to where I’m at and see if your 2) can be relevant to me. I use a lv450 BRB and a lv 316 Polaris.
  • Steve111
    Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Another problem is MMR. Having a champed 5* (especially just one 5*) makes you visible to other 5* teams, making 1200 in pvp a bit harder to achieve. Just as a general rule, better to champ 2 or more 5* as you enter into 5* land. And they should be meta as well, as much as that is possible. 
  • BlixTheFrog
    Options
    Steve111 said:
    Another problem is MMR. Having a champed 5* (especially just one 5*) makes you visible to other 5* teams, making 1200 in pvp a bit harder to achieve. Just as a general rule, better to champ 2 or more 5* as you enter into 5* land. And they should be meta as well, as much as that is possible. 
    Actually, having champed my BRB changed virtually nothing to the opponents I face. I spent half last season without champing him, then champed him. No difference that I could see. I think when you cross 1000 or so, 5 stars teams see you no matter what.
  • Jimsta_rooney
    Jimsta_rooney Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Most of the people you see that climb to those big points are part of the Ssolu.
    It's not an exclusive club anyone can join... 
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 430 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For someone who has the time and inclination, a LINE check room can definitely make climbing a lot easier.  I'm glad I joined one for awhile a few years back, just to get a good sense of how things run in PvP.  Unfortunately, I don't have a job that allows me to constantly check in all day to hop at the most opportune times, so instead I just try to hit people once and hold on to queues for obvious grills.

My current strategy is to climb slowly from the start of the event, only making a push for 1000 or higher about 24-30 hours from the event end.  (I play in slice 4.)  I find that there are a lot of points available at that time and I can sit on a few for the next morning.  I then try to hop around 16 hours out, then again at 9-10 hours, then again at 6-7.  I find that hopping right on the 8- and 11-hour marks (and especially 3) is just too hard to do, even though it is a savings in shields.  There are just too many big Okoyes out; it'll be nice when they roll out a Hulkoye counter, which will hopefully be soon.

Usually I can cross 1200 in that 15-16 hour timeframe, and then the rest of the hops are just pushing the score higher in hopes of better placement (and helping out my alliance) -- depending on how high people are climbing on that event, of course.

Then again, I have an alliance mate who swears by a different method that involves a furious climb starting about 10 hours out, so there are options.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2021
    Options
    How many wins on average does it take all of you to hit 1200, and in which slice did you achieve this? Also, on average, how many HP do you spend on one PvP?
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Waiting till the last 12 hours to climb to 1200 is going to limit how high you can go. The last part of the event aka zombie time is not a time for being out for long with points. Getting to 1200 earlier and doing a couple of hops will get you a better score.
  • Siv75
    Siv75 Posts: 55 Match Maker
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Siv75 said:
    helix72 said:

2) wait till 13 hours left, then push to 1200 and to infinity and beyond
    5) shield 8 hrs. 

What characters are you generally using, at what levels ? Just to compare to where I’m at and see if your 2) can be relevant to me. I use a lv450 BRB and a lv 316 Polaris.
    I use a LVL453 Okoye and LVL375 Ihulk. Not the strongest levels at all when I check against my standing when I see those adjacent to me having LVL550 5* charachters. I focus more on how to take specific teams down. For example any team that has Polaris in.. is an easy target for me as I can take her out within 2 moves usually when I go in with two boosts (team up and red/yellow). Most of the 550lvl guys are shielded anyways so I won't see them but in the event I do, I skip em. The real challenge is when I only start seeing opponents offering between 1 to 7 points per match... then there are no opponents available to gather points from fast enough to stay in the standing or go higher. At about 11 hours to the end or so if the sweet spot I usually can push highest I find...which is why I tend to take the 3 hrs plus 8 hour shields at the end. Alternatively I can do a 24 hours shield and climb earlier where competition is less... but it depends on points available. Many times I've hit that threshold where I have to risk attacking for 7 points at the risk of losing between 50 to points to being attacked. I usually go for slice 1 btw. 
  • BlixTheFrog
    Options
    How many wins on average does it take all of you to hit 1200, and in which slice did you achieve this? Also, on average, how many HP do you spend on one PvP?
    I would say 40-ish battles in slice 1, maybe a bit more in slice 2 ? (that’s the two slices I generally play in) 
    I’m afraid I spend around 600-900 HP per round, it depends. But since I’m out of Roster Slot Hell, that’s feasible without spending cash.
    My problem is to refrain trying to climb before the last day, really. That would save me a lot of HP. 😂
  • JackDeath666
    JackDeath666 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @BlixTheFrog - I've seen you in S2. It's a difficult low scoring slice. You'll rarely see 1.5k scores let alone 3k. If you are getting 1.2k there with only 1 5*, no Line coordination and no help then you are doing extremely well. Amazing really for an inexperienced player. Good effort. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2021
    Options
    40 wins is quite a lot. I've played in all slices, and I think slice 1 is interesting.  When you reach a certain point (500-600+), you will see 40+ points floating around. Keep on skipping and out of nowhere a 70+ point easy team appears and iHulkoye ate them for snack. I think slice 1 is worth exploring if you are looking for easy 1200 but poor placements.

2 & 5 are bloodshed when you climb in the last few hours, but you can get top 25 easily. I find the points for slice 2 are slightly higher than slice 5 sometimes.

3 & 4 don't seem to have as many players in slice 1. I find slice 3 or 4 (can't remember which) to be more similar to slice 2. Maybe I'll join these slices again.

Line will definitely help you reach your goals. A lot of coordinations involved there.
  • BlixTheFrog
    Options
    @BlixTheFrog - I've seen you in S2. It's a difficult low scoring slice. You'll rarely see 1.5k scores let alone 3k. If you are getting 1.2k there with only 1 5*, no Line coordination and no help then you are doing extremely well. Amazing really for an inexperienced player. Good effort. 
    Thanks, man ! Yeah, it’s a bit more work hitting 1200 in S2 so I only do it when I really want the bigger rewards. 
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 430 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If I'm playing aggressively, I can get to 1200 in about 25-30 wins in slice 4.  For reference, my Okoye is 469, Beta Ray Bill is 465, Kitty Pryde is 463, Apocalypse is 462, and The Hulk (Immortal) is 450.

If I'm playing aggressively, I can easily spend 1000-1200 HP in an event.  I am a (mostly) free-to-play player.

If I'm playing for fun, I will probably end up with about 50 wins and still often spend 500-600 HP.  In this scenario, I will join the event at the start and use a low-level team on the seeds; my current preference is the loaner character, Grocket (level 370), and 3* Thanos (level 266).  For the final seed team, I will drop my Grocket in favor of a boosted 2*.  I then float for a couple hours, collecting retaliations, and hit back with ... whatever, really.

If I have the time and inclination, I might work my way up using the low end of my 4* roster, and I'll avoid any 4* that's boosted above the level of my 5*.  Against a Grocket team, I will just trot out Polaris and Sabretooth.  In a great boost week like this one (with Peggy, MEH, Gamora, and Vulture all boosted), I'll probably turn to them even though they are all maxed or close to it.

If I'm playing for fun, I'll spend all of the first day and maybe half of the second doing this, with my score usually hovering in the 400-700 range.  Then, 24-32 hours from the end of the event, I'll make a push to climb as high as possible and start putting up shields (as I described in my previous post).

I'm optimistic that we'll get a Hulkoye counter sometime soon and that I'll be able to "play for fun" with my 5* again. 
  • Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So for someone who only cares about the 1200 progression, it’s best to start early and get there as soon as possible?
    I’m obviously doing it wrong as I get clobbered once I hit 900. (Usually in the last 8 hrs)
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wil88 said:
    So for someone who only cares about the 1200 progression, it’s best to start early and get there as soon as possible?
    I’m obviously doing it wrong as I get clobbered once I hit 900. (Usually in the last 8 hrs)
    Yes, If you only care about hitting 1200 the easiest way is to join slice 1 or 4 early and climb as high as you can. If you have the roster for it you can go from 0 to1200 in one go. Other wise shield and wait for more health packs and you can probably get there next time.

Late in the event is the worst time to do it.  Everyone is shielded and those that aren't are looking for anything to hit.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is all for 5* rosters correct? I have been finding with Pocket it is quite easy to get to 800 pts but anything beyond is a fantasy. Maybe I just play the wrong slice.