Given both options, which UI would you play?

Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
One of the biggest fixes people have suggested is that players are given the option to choose between the new/current UI and the old/classic one. I feel like maintaining two UI’s is more work and resource intensive than we realize. However, if it were possible and we were given both options, which would you choose?

Given both options, which UI would you play? 107 votes

New / Current
12%
ColognoisseurentrailbucketacescrackedKwahderMoosePrimeBrigadierbleudramatistPtahhotepikulAlexRMegaBeeVenomousNero 13 votes
Old / Classic
79%
ThanosfreakygeekKolenceYasuruzonatahuntsinnerjflvudu3Wil88xKOBALTxSeasick Piratebuddy2034Phumadeabmorazchris0001LHammerChipster22dokiyjreddtonypqWarbringa 85 votes
Other
8%
halirinsupergarvTheghouseDAZ0273jp1grimgribberElReyFelixOmegasedoBrokeno2 9 votes

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other
    I would play old/classic but with the new comic book style damage font which I do like a lot.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    New / Current
    I could swear the new UI is both smoother and faster.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Old / Classic
    I don't like the new boards color scheme, tile colors, some special tiles are hard to notice especially charged tiles among other types. 

I'd love an option to toggle between old or new. Other games have different types or boards or skins and they make it work. I would imagine D3 should be capable of that feat also. I've played on the new board plenty now. It's not a getting used to it thing for me, it's just the bad design and lack of polish before they put it live. They should have done more testing on the board before release. 

If they can't make a option to revert to the old board, some options to change or optimize tile colors and fonts would be welcomed. At least then you could change tile colors to ones that aren't hideous like they are on the new board, and get tile fonts that meet ones preference.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Old / Classic
    Maybe less a new UI and more ability to adjust colors and remove dimming. More like a skin then an interface. I don't know if that is doable programming wise though. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other
    Old seems dated, could use a refresh. I don’t mind the new setup but so many do, including members of my alliance, so I’m for a middle ground somewhere.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    New / Current
    It took me a few days, but I'm used to the new style now.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,126 Chairperson of the Boards
    Old / Classic
    Maintaining 2 completely different UIs is definitely more work that I'd want to take on for a game like this. Given the option I'd go back to the old one - this one isn't doing a single thing I prefer as a player. That being said I'm open to a new UI, just not the new UI we have right now.

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    Old / Classic
    DAZ0273 said:
    I would play old/classic but with the new comic book style damage font which I do like a lot.
    I agree with DAZ here as it is the one part of the UI I really do like but since just about everything else from the old UI worked better I voted for the Old/Classic option.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    Old / Classic
    Yeah I like the hit numbers too.  I also like how it looks when you go to fire a power,
    the buttons just look nicer now.  I think those are really the only two things I like more about it.

I could probably learn to live with most of it, if it wasn’t for the low grade headache the game gives me now when I pay too much attention.  I find I need to be doing something else like watching TV or whatever and just check each time I make a move.  So I am using way more Hulkoye and Gritty Polaris, just because those are the most autopilot teams.

another thing I think I will never get used to is how unreadable the enemy specials can be.  

Edit: even some friendly tiles, like if I am using Apocalypse, it used to be instant read to see how many repeaters I had out.  And I realize it takes time to build up that recognition again, but this design seems to purposefully obscure so much about just reading the board at a glance.

I feel like it’s not even a matter of relearning, it’s just bad design,  and honestly the way it is now, I can’t even put in the time to relearn those eye muscle memories because it’s tiring to pay attention.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Old / Classic
    MegaBee said:
    I could swear the new UI is both smoother and faster.
    I can’t tell for sure, but I think that might be the tile physics.  Because I remember when they first rolled that out, thinking ‘oh this seems faster’. Not sure if it really is tho, or if the animations just make it seem so.

its almost like how before, certain characters made matches faster.  Which I always assumed was because of the different sound files they used.  But it seems like everyone is sped up a little now.

for me tho, matches take longer because I can no longer sink myself into the game and just play. 
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Old / Classic
    I voted classic, only because I can't see the tiles well in new one.  I'd use the new one, but they need to make the colors brighter, stop the dimming, and adjust a few minor things so that colorblind people (like me) and migraine sufferers (like a few in my alliance) can use it without struggling.
    The new one isn't good, but it's not un-salvageable.  They spent a lot of time and effort on it and it has potential, but it definitely needs work to be usable.
  • dragonlover44
    dragonlover44 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Old / Classic
    I voted classic, because unless they completely overhaul the new one it's going to give me migraines every time I play. With the dimming gone it's only going to give me eyestrain and headaches not migraines. Not that that's much better, but at least with just a headache and eye strain I can go about my day after playing and not need to go lie down and loose at least half a day due to a migraine. 

I may not like change to a game after playing it for years without it changing, but I am open to it. I get  that they spent a lot of time and effort on the new UI, and that some people like it better, but it's completely unplayable for me.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 558 Critical Contributor
    Other
    I want to see them revamp the new one.

I really dislike the new one as it is now, but I'm all for a new coat of paint
  • Cannibalqueen
    Old / Classic
    Yeah, but I don’t want to sit here for three months or who knows how long of them tinkering around with it.  When really the immediate fix should be roll back and then go back and tinker around.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    New / Current
    Give up on the old. It ain't coming back. Tweaks just announced... D3 all in.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Other
    Either but with the sparkly victory banner
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 965 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2021
    Old / Classic
    I voted old,  but I'd like screen dimming removed and then I'm cool with the new look.   Looks like they are working on it.   
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Old / Classic
    I'd much rather keep the old board, was more elegant and easy to read. Sadly, despite a large majority not liking the new layout, looks its full steam ahead with the new design as there will be "adjustments" to it per the announcement.

It's uglier and harder to play the new board but THEY're right, not the people who've been playing this game for years. The designer is SURELY right, you know, the one who introduced a UI causing headaches and eye strain for a large portion of the user base. We're in good hands! /s (its ok to admit you're wrong and just rollback this **** update).
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2021
    Old / Classic
    I said old/classic, but maybe I should have voted other. I'm open to change, but this is our most contact-heavy interface -- it needs to be lavished with every possible expense required to engineer a generally acceptable replacement scheme.

There is a reason this game is so successful and we all feel so strongly about it. And it's premised on a game-board that has been around for MANY years. Absolutely nothing demands more care and investment than ensuring a marvelous game-playing experience, day-to-day, moment-to-moment.

For everyone, regardless of their individual exigencies, to the absolute extent possible.
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    New / Current
    I voted new because I find it easier on the eye for me. The old one was too bright; the glare was wearing after a while.