What is your hoarding strategy?

Options
Akoni
Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
I have been hoarding CP and LL tokens for some time now. Some advice was given in another thread that 200-300 pulls are needed to champ all 3 legends from the ground up. I am doing okay, but I do not have that much yet. If the next 5* after Colossu5 is a decent Phoenix Five member or a meta, I plan on attempting to champ all 3. Thus far, I have just been casually collecting CP and LL tokens which is probably not the most effective and efficient way to do it.

With that said, what are your strategies for maximizing CP and LL tokens?

Comments

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,007 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options

I try to only use LL tokens for the latest vault and use cp on good special stores like the fan favorite store.   I have 8500 cp I plan to use for the store tomorrow to get my apacolypse as close to 550 as I possibly can. I currently have 290 LL tokens that I'll bust open once colossus leaves if the next 3 5 stars have at least one really good one in the mix. 
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I used to just save CP but spend LL tokens as I got them.  I play SCL 10 so that was enough to usually cover the few last full cycles of latest.  But I have had good luck.  
    But this would also result in me getting things like a 454 SamDak or 455 Deadpool. Characters I am happy to have champed but got extra covers for because I just compulsively opened those LTs.  Stupid decision.
    now I am clamping down on LTs as soon as I know I am going to be within champ range of any leaving five star.  Like for Warlock, I went too far and got him 13 covers when I really could’ve stopped at 12 and maybe he gets one more PVE to put him over, or I could’ve just sharded for that last 100 or so I was short.

but that’s okay to me because I am happy to get 451 and get that first LT.

I am imaging that with lucky distribution eventually I will get to a point where each new cycle, I can get the leaving 5* covered with CP still left in the bank.  And someday reach a point where I can spend on things like the Apocalypse store coming up.  It’s just a new level of patience and not just rashly opening LTs and hoping I don’t get that 14th Warlock.

It makes more sense I guess to skip certain characters.  Like Cyclops.  Or I could’ve happily skipped SamDak and nothing about my play would’ve changed at all.  It would just be money in the bank.  Unfortunately tho. That bothers me.  I want them all champed.  
    Yellowjacket looks in good shape once Colossus enters, but I might eat it with Cyclops.  But usually between all three chances on each one, you end up around 13 it seems like.
  • McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Hoarding = dumb.  Redeem for classic.  Better value.   Rank fast
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm just now getting ready to get into baby 5* land. I currently don't have any 5s champed but have BRB at 12 covers needing about 50 shards for that 13th, Okoye at 13 covers, Carnage at 12 covers, Kitty at 10 covers and Apocalypse at 9 covers.
    And have been hoarding LLs and CPs since the end of the Anniversary. I'm currently up to 210 LLs and another 140 pulls in CPs so about 350 total. And I pulled some in that Okoye/Deadpool/Onslaught vault awhile ago.
    I'm planning on pulling tomorrow until I can champ Apocalypse. In the result will get 13 covers on BRB and then I'm debating as to go after the 13th for Carnage (needs about 300 shards) or work on Kitty.
    But I figure that I won't be pulling again until its at least Colossus/X/X and by then I should be able to get back up to 300 pulls.
    By my hoarding has been disrupted by pulling every time a meta is in a vault. But now that I'm getting most of them champed it should be easier. Also I recently made the move to SCL 10 so I'm getting all the 5s covered through shards. So that helps hoarding as well.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Go to SCL 10 to get 500 shards of new characters that I'm not interested in. Pull LT only when I'm interested. 

Jump to SCL 10 permanently to reduce the number of pulls needed by about 60 to 80 LT, once I can finish SCL 10 in 25 minutes. Now, it's 35 to 40 mins.

Spend CP on special store that I'm interested in, if not, Classic store is good for getting random surprises.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My strategy: Champ all latest 5*s and aim for level 451 or so. Keep accumulating CP for some shop that has three amazing characters like the last anniversary store.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am at 8 champed 4* characters so I figure I will pull from classics until I get Polaris, Juggernaut, Sabertooth, Karnak and America champed. I already have Medusa and Grocket champed from a past life.  I have 3k shards for Polaris (+ one cover) so I expect once she is done she will be nerfed and I will regret not starting with Juggernaut. 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    On my main account I am hoarding LL pulls, CP (and even pve event tokens in the hopes of getting more LL tokens or a new 4star cover if they go into the 80 event vaults). Currently have 80 pulls and am only pulling to get single covers of essential 5s for pve when they come in.

Main account has all the meta 5s champed level 450-462 and all the 4s champed except for silk and b4east.  

It was hard for me to save up pulls, but I managed to save up 272ish LL pulls worth of LL tokens and CP for when Adam entered Latest. Was able to fully cover him, d5adpool and m5gneto all at once iirc. By the time the next two or three 5s enter Latest after Colossus, hopefully I will have a good amount saved to cover all of them. Otherwise I will only be pulling when there is a meta 5 in latest.  

As for my alt account, I am doing the same but on a smaller level. It has almost all the 3s champed, just over half the 4s rostered and medusa, Polaris, C4rnage are all full covered and kept within 3 levels of my highest 3s.  

I used some pulls on the alt account to get a cover of d5adpool to help getting the spicy taco tokens each day.  

I used to not save LLs and just pull as soon as I got one on the main. I would often get 10-15 covers of latests' between the time they entered and the time they left. So both methods can work, but saving the 270-330 amount of pulls is the only way too almost guarantee you fully cover all the latests
  • JRYUART
    JRYUART Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Options

Akoni said:

With that said, what are your strategies for maximizing CP and LL tokens?
    I used to try and cover everything before they left latest but now I’m much more selective because I focus more on performance now over being a completionist. 

If you aren’t a player that needs to have everything fully covered and go for characters that will complement your current roster and playstyle, I would save your cp for special stores where there is a character that will fill a gap in your roster or augment your main team where their skills could come in handy during everyday play.  There are obviously the meta characters that everyone has or should have that will carry you for awhile in both pvp and pve where your continued performance over time will allow you to obtain/hoard more resources for future must-have releases. These special stores are also probably the best bang for the buck if you are trying to finish them out or level them higher.  New release CP stores are also a good avenue to try and nab the one cover you might need for the 5* essential nodes in pve.  

As for LL, I am just saving them until a new character(s) comes along that is a significant improvement over my current pve and pvp team comps.  If the character will not improve my game in any meaningful way, I won’t pull for them.  My situation might be different than yours because I have competitive meta teams already rostered, so ymmv.  
    As for cp/LL hoarding strats, I do tend to change my TH on the fly to focus on getting cp and LL champ rewards first over 5* feeders, unless the resulting cover will provide 25 CP or a meta.  One TH per * tier, and my priority order is :

5* - meta I want leveled higher 
    4* - CP (odd levels, level 330 and up), then LT
    3* - levels 260 & 246, then levels 226, 238, 256

For me, CP > LT always, since CP can be used for both LL and special release stores. You don’t really want to be caught with low CP on hand if they decide to randomly release a really good store.  

I pull all covers but LL btw, just for the chance to earn shards for targeted heroes that will net me CP.  

Not having a character fully covered isn’t the end of the world, especially once you have your go-to team(s) that can perform in both pvp and pve.  My personal viewpoint is that if I’m going to hoard, I just want to make sure that all the time and effort I spent in accumulating all of those resources and then spending them is going to have a measurable effect on my gameplay. If obtaining a new character results in just a marginal increase in my performance, then I just skip and continue to hoard. 
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I currently hoard LL tokens and CPs for either a another LL store with at least 2 really good 5s and a 3rd 5 that isn't totally stank, or use CPs for a good special store with a meta 5. Currently I have the meta 5s although like many I can use extra levels for them. It kind of depends what one's roster is like though, if you just want to get your foot into 5 land or are already there and want to pad levels on metas.

I don't feel the last slew of 5s offered a whole lot that would make me use them over any metas, so I've kept hoarding. I haven't even bothered getting one cover of each loser 5* they've released lately, I'll get the cover from reward shards in PVE/PVP and save my LL tokens for when there's actually some characters worthy of pulling for. 

If I still needed to complete a meta I'd be saving CPs for Kitty/BRB/Apoc/Okoye. If I was bout to enter 5 land, I'd wait until there are 2 really good 5s. If you go nuts in the LL store when the three 5s are meh, you're not doing yourself any favors. Especially with the lack of balance in 5*s and power creep making newer ones typically stronger the older releases. You want to make sure when you break your hoard the return on investment will be a significant payoff. 

I'm tempted to spend some CPs to add some Apoc levels with the special store we have now. Especially since I don't see myself pulling in LLs anytime soon not being overly thrilled about the current trio of 5s.  However I fear RNG big time, my luck has sucked lately with pulls and I don't want to end up when all is said and done with 1 Apoc cover and like 5 Angel heh. 
  • Sithforever
    Sithforever Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Sitting on Heroics and Mighty Tokens to shard target Beast when he enters next season. Should be able to get him to 280 AKA LL Token or 5 Star. All 3s and 4s champed aside from 4 Star Beast sitting at 12 covers and 190 shards. 64 Latest will be over 300 Latest by the time I pull. All 5s champed aside from Colossus who is at 11 covers and 445 Shards plus 2 Saved Covers will get the remaining covers from SC 10 placement and rewards. So by the time I pull Colossus will be leaving the Latest. Command Points will be hoarded for next Special Store or Anniversary depending on 5s available and desirability. Savory and Sweet Deadpool tokens over 60 each and building to 300+. Spicy is at 15 covers but quick to get back up over 40 and wait for Polaris or other meta 4 not maxed. Hero points are going to be built up for offers. RNGing has been pretty good and looking forward to the next Meta 5.
  • Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sitting on Heroics and Mighty Tokens to shard target Beast when he enters next season. Should be able to get him to 280 AKA LL Token or 5 Star.
    It has been confirmed that Beast feeds Apocalypse.