Spellbook release

Options
Gunmix25
Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
When is the next spellbook planned to be released?

Comments

• andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Soon™

(sorry This brought me back to my City of Heroes days)
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Soonish
  • Tutaha
    Tutaha Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    New to the game. What is this spellbook thing?
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    It's PMA set of cards.

Currently there is only a red set "chandra's spellbook" the other colours will be each realed at a later date, unknown hence: soon™
  • Tutaha
    Options
    Nice! thanks!
    I was curious about the effects the other colors are going to have :hushed:

White = extra heals
    Black = extra damage
    Green = extra mana conversion
    Blue = extra mana drain
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tutaha said:
    Nice! thanks!
    I was curious about the effects the other colors are going to have :hushed:

White = extra heals
    Black = extra damage
    Green = extra mana conversion
    Blue = extra mana drain

Sorry to disappointe you, but it's probably going to be:
    White = the first white card in your hand gets full mana
    Black = the first black card in your hand gets full mana
    Green = the first green card in your hand gets full mana
    Blue =  the first blue card in your hand gets full mana

• BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sorry to disappointe you, but it's probably going to be:
    White = the first white card in your hand gets full mana
    Black = the first black card in your hand gets full mana
    Green = the first green card in your hand gets full mana
    Blue =  the first blue card in your hand gets full mana

I actually hope this is how it works to make it just like paper magic where each one does the same but for each different color
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    The ignited gems will have different effects though
  • Tutaha
    Options
    Yeah, i was currently imagining the ignition effects ;)
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    Thought so  ;)
  • Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Now try to guess what the Improved Gems for other colors will be called.
    My version:
    White - Enlightened (Gain X life). X might be fixed (like 5) or scaled based on the number of creatures (+reinforcements), up to Y.
    Blue - Inspired (Draw a card). Might have some additional mana gain condition (from gaining half-mana by default to gaining 1 mana for every smth, like card in your hand).
    Black - Entombed (Create 3 Buried gems). Might also give Buried to cards in your graveyard.
    Green - Entwined (Convert X gems to Green). X might be fixed (like 5) or scaled based on the number of creatures (+reinforcements), up to Y.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Asylamb - good suggestion on all except the black, which I really hope you got wrong.

The buried mechanism is extremely slow to execute and is so underwhelming, that I can’t see anything good about making the mechanism permanently standard.

I rather see something like, return a creature with cost lower than the number of black gems (before the ignited gem is matched) or lower than your loyalty.
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    Asylamb said:

Black - Entombed (Create 3 Buried gems). Might also give Buried to cards in your graveyard.

I can see this being more zombie related than anything.
    • Brings back the first creature in your graveyard and it gains 'zombie', or
    • Creates X zombies, X being creatures in your graveyard, or
    • creatures you control gain berserk and death touch till end of turn.
    *shrug* i am purely guessing though
  • Asylamb
    Options
    I also dislike Buried mechanic but the developers seem eager to make us like it. Every set after THB had at least one card with Buried (no Escape tho). IKO has Brokkos, M21 a bunch of Buried cards, ZNR - Vengevine, KHM - Dream Devourer. I do agree that one type of special gems making another type of special gems is unlikely.

Anyway, since Ignited gems have a pretty minor effect (3x3 gem destruction), I'd stick to what I came up with for other color minus additional bonuses (X = fixed 3 to 5 for White and Green), and for Black... I don't know, create 1 Zombie token.
    Gunmix25 said:

These are too powerful and the 2nd one is literally Rise of the Dread Marn, which is a Mythic card. As for Berserker + Deathtouch, It feels more Golgari than just Black.
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    Options
    PMA set always being standard means diligent players will forever have EXTREMELY  powerfull standard decks forever. Assuming we get a full set of moxes.

it will be required for any  deck to have  the mox associated with its color to stay  competitive.

I was worried that one the next spellbook was realized we wouldn't  have accses to buying Chandras anymore so I bought packs until I got Mox Ruby..... and wouldn't you know it... it was the LAST card purchasable.

long story short. Get that mox while it's available!!
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tezzeret said:
    I bought packs until I got Mox Ruby..... and wouldn't you know it... it was the LAST card purchasable.

long story short. Get that mox while it's available!!
    Me too, so I spent all my mana crystals just to get the Ruby, and then they released KHM and I had no crystals to buy any... :/
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would be surprised if the Chandra packs stopped being available and never came back.  That doesn't really happen for anything (except duel deck reward cards on the losing side!)

For improved gems, I think it'd be less "same old" and more interesting on the match-3 side of things if improved gems were a cycle which each behaved differently on the gem board when matched, without doing anything outside of the gem board.  Some random examples of behaviour when destroyed (obviously not tested for balance):
    • Destroy N gems in row if matched in a column and column if matched in a row
    • Destroy every second gem in the same row and column
    • Destroy N gems of an enemy colour
    • Convert N gems (to green)
    • Destroy all "special" gems on a diagonal from the improved gem
    • Convert all adjacent gems of same colour to the same improved gem then destroy them too
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    Asylamb said:
    I also dislike Buried mechanic but the developers seem eager to make us like it. Every set after THB had at least one card with Buried (no Escape tho). IKO has Brokkos, M21 a bunch of Buried cards, ZNR - Vengevine, KHM - Dream Devourer. I do agree that one type of special gems making another type of special gems is unlikely.

Anyway, since Ignited gems have a pretty minor effect (3x3 gem destruction), I'd stick to what I came up with for other color minus additional bonuses (X = fixed 3 to 5 for White and Green), and for Black... I don't know, create 1 Zombie token.
    Gunmix25 said:

These are too powerful and the 2nd one is literally Rise of the Dread Marn, which is a Mythic card. As for Berserker + Deathtouch, It feels more Golgari than just Black.
    Eh. That is what I get for trying to post on break at work. :D

I am inclined to agree. They are too powerful in hindsight. 
  • Asylamb
    Options
    @Volrak your idea looks fun, but other than what you suggested for Green (which is what I suggested as well because it's the most obvious thing), no matter the pattern, gem destruction is Red and wouldn't make much sense in other colors.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There's precedent for destroying gems of opponent's colour in black.  Hitting activated gems or supports is on colour for white.

With red as given, and conversion for green, that just leaves blue.  Shoehorning one colour for the sake of a cycle is not unreasonable, and there are other possibilities within the scope of gem board manipulation which could be devised beside what I listed.

So there seems to be sufficient space to make it work.  It's of course not a very important observation since Oktagon would already have their own plans and designs, whether they are similar or different to anyone's ideas in this thread.