Worst Latest Trios

Options
Isay_Isay
Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
On paper, Yellowjacket/Cyclops (Phx)/Colossus (Phx) is looking to be a pretty sad trio, but is it the worst? 

Some personal contenders:
1) Iron Man/Captain America (First Avenger)/The Hulk (Bruce Banner) - The teammate mechanics of Iron Man/Captain America never really took off for either and the Classic pool of Silver Surfer, Old Man Logan, Phoenix, and Black Suit Spider-man was a much better option at the time.  Oh AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BUFF BANNER

2) Star-Lord/Doctor Octopus/Spider-man (Peter Parker) - A rather meh trio, but they were also sandwiched between 2 pretty great options (Strange/Thanos/Black Panther/Hawkeye and Daredevil/Gambit/Thor)

3) Wasp/Loki/Kitty Pryde - What is Kitty doing in a worst trio list?  Just to show how dirty D3 did her.  Cable/Kingpin on the other side is certainly better but not by much.  Wasp's inclusion in any trio is a strong case.

4) Killmonger/Daken/Heimdell - Once again, another meh trio, none of which really shook the meta in a meaningful way or could implement their counters before being passively chipped to death.

5) Yellowjacket/Cyclops/Colossus - Maybe too early to call, but Introducing Colossus isn't doing him any favors.  Maybe future 5s can Switch this thinking, so who knows.

Feel free to add your own suggestions.

Worst Latest Trios 46 votes

Iron Man/Captain America (FA)/The Hulk (Bruce Banner)
69% 32 votes
Star-Lord/Doctor Octopus/Spider-man (Peter Parker)
10% 5 votes
Wasp/Loki/Kitty Pryde
4% 2 votes
Killmonger/Daken/Heimdell
6% 3 votes
Yellowjacket/Cyclops/Colossus
8% 4 votes
Other
0% 0 votes

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Why do people continue to ask for a Banner buff when:
    - he's like 5 years old now
    - hopelessly outdated
    -  a newer much better Hulk character has been released
    - most importantly out of reach for any new players in the last 5 years (a 1 time special store for a buff doesn't cut it).
    Wouldn't it make more sense to as D3 to 'retire' him permanently and as part of that give a sell back (1 LT per cover and 1 LT per 2 champ levels). It would free up a roster spot and give LT's for new characters.
    KGB
  • Southside84
    Southside84 Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    Love to see options for the best trio (at the time of release, before nerfs), but I wasn't around for pre-nerf gambit to really assess 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Love to see options for the best trio (at the time of release, before nerfs), but I wasn't around for pre-nerf gambit to really assess 
    One contender for best trio is definitely iHulk/Yelena/Apocalypse. Prof/Carbage/Bill isnt too shabby either.

As for the worst, in addition to what the OP mentioned*, I would add Carol/Hela/Rescue. Hela is a very good 5*, but to be sandwiched by Carol and Rescue...plus, it’s an injustice for Cate Blanchett to be in between Brie Larson and Gwyneth Paltrow.

*i wouldn’t include Killmonger/OMD/Heimdall as a bad trio. Killmonger and Heimdall are very solid, and OMD has an interesting skillset that is badly let down by his poor numbers.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I see what you did there on #5  ;)
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No way. I’m much higher on YJ than most. I find him fun and effective against non Hulkoye teams.  Colossus has potential as part of an annoying defensive meta (again, if iHulk ever gets a counter) and has one of the best black outlets in the tier (cheap nuke). Cyclops is trash though. No way around that. If Cyke and Mags were in Latests together, there could be some contention there.

I also agree with BBR on the Heim/Monger/Daken trio. All three are solid mid tier, none of them are trash. 

Banner and the Civil War Bros. are the clear runaway favorites. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No way. I’m much higher on YJ than most. I find him fun and effective against non Hulkoye teams.  Colossus has potential as part of an annoying defensive meta (again, if iHulk ever gets a counter) and has one of the best black outlets in the tier (cheap nuke). Cyclops is trash though. No way around that. If Cyke and Mags were in Latests together, there could be some contention there.

I also agree with BBR on the Heim/Monger/Daken trio. All three are solid mid tier, none of them are trash. 

Banner and the Civil War Bros. are the clear runaway favorites. 
    Yeah, YJ is a lot of fun. I slept on his green but it can really pack a punch with enough tu tiles for Okoye and when he's energized. Plus for me his green is stronger than iHulk's for match damage so I can run him in Shield Sim with Hulkoye and not have to worry about iHulk setting of a big green cascade that basically kills himself off, it just provides another nuke for YJ so iHulk can chill in the background until I need him to nuke someone to end the match.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    YJ boosted is actually a big help in The Hunt.  I run him, HalfThor and Apoc.  With YJ invisible, simple Blue/Black/Green matches can hit for about 20000 each.  That's not shabby at all and Apoc tanks Blue and Black for me so Thor is safely hidden.
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Yeah, I’m similarly enjoying him with Thor/Okoye. Put Okoye on the right, and when YJ goes invisible, he does massive match damage, but Okoye gets to stay up front and tank hits on her turn. Glad people are coming around on YJ! Super fun character. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    YJ and Adam are both underrated in my opinion.
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    jp1 said:
    I agree. I might not champ Adam until after he leaves Latests (using shards). But I really want to try him. I think he is a multi use character. The dual heal seems like it would make him a great tank for climbs (3 black build). Or you can use him similar to onslaught for the big early attack (5 black build), likely as a third with Hulkoye. 
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 571 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jp1 said:
    I agree. I might not champ Adam until after he leaves Latests (using shards). But I really want to try him. I think he is a multi use character. The dual heal seems like it would make him a great tank for climbs (3 black build). Or you can use him similar to onslaught for the big early attack (5 black build), likely as a third with Hulkoye. 
    I've been using my 5/2/5 Adam with halfthor and Apoc. He's great. he does BIG damage, BIG match damage and generally causes havok. His Match damage is no joke, and to be fair might make Cyke a good 3rd for that team.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I get the idea of hoarding for better 5*s, but I find the game a bit dull when I hoard too long.  I like to champ as many 5*s as I can and be broad vs deep.  I'll never have that 550 Okoye or Kitty or BRB but that's ok with my style of play.
  • shobi6669
    shobi6669 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    I think for people in the "champ them all" category you can maybe get high level characters from special stores as long as you are willing to wait and play the long game.  Once you have all but the latest 5s champed if you play enough you can keep up with the 5 releases where you draw from your latest tokens and stop once the oldest 5 in LL is champed and just continue to bank the CPs.  Then if there is a select character or two you want to get levels for you wait for the appropriate special store and get them up.  For me this was my plan and I sometimes regretted not having high level 5s when I am getting pasted by high level HulkOkoye teams.  But having them all champed now (even baby champed) has been great and I am accumulating CP enough that I can either dip into classics to pump up 4s/5s across the board for cheaper or save for a decent special store who has someone I want to get levels on.  Very interesting discussion on the value of 5s over the years though.  Really enjoyed reading it.  I also am not excited by YJ/Cyclops/Colossus, but "gotta catch them all" so I will pull to champ YJ once AW drops out.  Cheers!