Finally a Worthy introduction event

marvel075
marvel075 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
that colossus introduction event is no joke, actually lost on my first run with me barley beating thing, left with only 98 health to fight the third wave, clearly lost. Had to bring match damage boost in all colors and won the 2nd time around, was the first time losing on an introducing... event.

Comments

• Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Did you get a bad board? I tried it after seeing your post and finished with 11k health left and no boosts.  Black did drop plentifully for me though.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    I likewise had no issues. I even fired blue, not that the enemy were particularly bothered.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also died my first time through. Mostly because Rulk went off over every match and accumulated a bunch of AP from cascades so that by the time I moved on to Thing, he had enough AP to stun me then finish me with Green.
    I won my 2nd time though very easily thanks to an opening match-5 in Blue that drained most of Rulks health.
    I suspect how you view this opening battle will be based on how fast you manage to down Rulk.
    KGB
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Yep.  I have wiped twice with all of RHulks stupid cascades.  This is the most RNGy of anything.  There really is nothing you can plan for besides bringing boosts.

Got through on third try without using boosts.  His blue is really uninspiring.
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 364 Mover and Shaker
    A, um, 5 star should be able to take on a couple 4*s solo-like, and then a group of 2 & 3 stars without any trouble, right? I'm scared if I have to use Colo55us against anything bigger. :open_mouth:
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Same experience. If these introducing events try to sell the greatness of new chars.... they suck at it.

This first node gives me zero joy to fish for him in tokens. You would wanna showcase a new character, no?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think its a hard line to walk here.  If they make the loaner too strong (high leveled), then you're just match-damaging the opponents to death... Not really a showcase.

Conversely, if a character is meant for defensive value, putting them against a few waves of dudes seems like a good example to set.

Maybe i just got lucky, but i was able to fire off each ability of his at least twice, and still finished the fight with at least half health remaining.  The most damage i took was from Thing's green.
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    I almost was killed, but finished the battle with about 300 health left.  Rhulk was a bit of back and forth, but when Thing came in, he wrecked me with his green and then stunned me a couple times with his red.  By the time I got to the last wave, I was actively sweating it when Grey Widow fired her green.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now, you guys are feeling how the AIs feel when you store up your APS in wave nodes.

Introduction events are not meant to showcase the abilities of new 5*, but they are meant to tell us the background stories of theirs. I don't think Colossus is the first 5* with a "bad" Introducing... 

I think Onslaught had some complaints about his introducing too.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2021
    I love thinking about how the AI throws its phone against the wall every time I make a match five and then use the AP to fire a power at them.

edit: I had really good boards with this one, so it was piece of cake.  I think any 1V1 situation is always gonna be RNG crazy.  Sometimes even you got  a champed 4* in Deadpool, and just the board is total **** and you gotta restart.  
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Introduction events are not meant to showcase the abilities of new 5*, but they are meant to tell us the background stories of theirs. I don't think Colossus is the first 5* with a "bad" Introducing... 

They do a fairly bad job of introducing the background of the character too... The comic panels are so tiny you can't tell whatever the hell is going on or read the text (even on Steam). You only get some boring blurb of text, not even the old type of cutscenes with talking heads, not that those were great but a lot better than just plain text.

As far as the fight goes, just gather black and keep firing it, it's not that hard. Sidenote, stuns shouldnt be allowed in these events, especially when you got only 1 char.
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    I would love if the events were for the story.

They are not (as above) - tony texts. If they cared for the story, there are the paginated comic panels like in the Prologue.

So, they messed up on both showcasing chars AND their story. Sigh. I‘m so frustrated, when will I ever get past complaining and talking to a wall. Must be insanity.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huh.  I'm okay with it all.

Eh, i'll just continue to read the pre-battle text, and move forward.

Honestly, i see the comic panels back there and as cool as it'd be to read them, its like ONE page at most per node.  No biggy if i cant read them.  They make a little synopsis in the pre-battle screen.

If i really wanted to read them, i could seek out the comic itself.  Or, as Marvel probably wants, you could get a subscription to Marvel's online comic service and read them all to your heart's content.  :smiley:
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    I saw the subject and thought OP found a use for (un)Worthy Cap....
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Today was fun.  I guess.  "Hey, look at the non synergy between Sighclops and 5Col".

And why does Mr. Sinister always seem more fun and interesting when you play against him than when he is on your own team?
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Colossus` main feature is all about increased match damage and they keep giving us a version thats not maxed out so he will seem worse for sure, oh well.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Today was fun.  I guess.  "Hey, look at the non synergy between Sighclops and 5Col".

And why does Mr. Sinister always seem more fun and interesting when you play against him than when he is on your own team?
    Haha. I actually mention that in my character ranking guide. 

Mr. Sinister, despite being a strategist-type in the comics, is one of the most luck/RNG based characters in the game. He’s extremely high variance in that he can be a damage dealing AP factory one match and be dead weight the next. He’s a character that you put on your team and hope for the best. For this reason, he’s one of those characters that can seem much more effective when you oppose him than when you try him out yourself. 

• Tanglefoot
    Tanglefoot Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    After playing the intro, I am distinctly unimpressed with colossus. The first node took like 6 tries to beat, and even then was with like 300 health left. Every node took multiple play throughs. If winning the match is 100% dependent on getting the perfect gem drops instead of any planning or strategy, maybe they have done a poor job balancing the character. I have completed all the nodes, but Colossus blows huge organic steel chunks.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    The intros are always a poor way to judge a character. In this case with Colossus he is clearly meant to be a support tank. So the first node they give you a level 150 version solo against waves of heroes that get to build up AP while you whittle them down with match damage and a black power.
    I believe in only one node do you get him in a 3-person team and it is limited to X-Men. The others are duos. So after completing the intro you really have only gotten to use him with what maybe 10-15% of the roster?
    The PVP is a better way to judge the character. In that mode he seems like a handy shield for gamers that are in that 3-4* range. And in 5* range he isn't Hulkoye so he fails that test.
    I'm interested to see what you can do with him in PVE at higher levels. My Apocalypse is at 9 covers so I will be pulling from that store until I get him champed so will likely get a handful of Colossus covers in the process.
    Other than that I guess its just wait until the next 5* and see if it furthers the match damage direction by possibly adding critical or charged tiles.