Duplicate 3 stars?

Options
Juize
Juize Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
I currently have all my 3 stars maxed. I'm quite on the way with my 4 stars as well, and slowly covering the 5 stars. I'm getting so many 3 star covers and shards, and I have enough for some characters to duplicate them and promote them. 

Is it worth it to duplicate them? It feels like a waste to throw away the 3 star covers all the time.

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lots duplicate so they have max champed 3-stars for PvP and PvE. It requires 270 roster spots
  • KC_Hammer
    KC_Hammer Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    I think so. I generally have 3 or 4 duplicate 3* that i'm getting covers/shards for. Once they can be champed i unfavorite them.  Then I wait until i have a new character that needs to be added, and I sell the max champed 3*, champ the new 3* and use the slot for the new character. There are a couple top tier 3* like IM40, and Dr Strange that I always keep a max champed version of, but i rarely find it useful to keep other 3* at max champ level.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have found farms to be very valuable.  Other will argue that they aren't (but I disagree with them). 
    If you are going to farm 3 stars (I assume you already farm 2 stars), you will need to either commit to spending some money on HP for the roster slot costs until the 3*s start paying for themselves OR become very conservative where you spend your HP (no buying packs or healthpacks or shields).
    If you go route 2 (which is the method I do), you have to work more towards placement in PvE and just getting progression in PvP.  PvE is pretty well documented.  PvP becomes start early, play 25 battles per day.  It's a fairly decent time commitment until you get the farm rolling.
    Once you get it rolling, it will pretty much pay for itself, but the start-up cost is a bit daunting.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,196 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Whenever i max a 3 star, i sell them and start over.

For my roster, there is no reason for me to hoard max three stars
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, the farm is worth it.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 727 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Early on - when ISO, HP and roster space is tighter, I used to sell my Max-level-266 3s as soon as the new one was champed.  Once you are in 4* land, for PVP & PVE your 3* level  rarely matters, just as long as they are champed and earning those rewards.

Later - once post-ISO and good for HP, then it's worth it to keep dupes and always have a max one just cos.  It was a fun day when I finally had a full set of dupes.
  • derrickn
    derrickn Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Punter1 said:
      It was a fun day when I finally had a full set of dupes.
    I've got nearly a full set of 3* dup's, a full set of 2's, 1 1*, and one each of every 4 and 5.     Plus a few bonus 4*, so I wouldn't have to throw away those covers (pre-save-feature).    I'm at 295 slots used, and in dread of the day I hit 300.   The thought of spending 2K HP on one slot is not appealing.
  • derrickn
    derrickn Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    derrickn said:
    Punter1 said:
    I've got nearly a full set of 3* dup's, a full set of 2's, 1 1*, and one each of every 4 and 5.     Plus a few bonus 4*, so I wouldn't have to throw away those covers (pre-save-feature).    I'm at 295 slots used, and in dread of the day I hit 300.   The thought of spending 2K HP on one slot is not appealing.
    Oh, and to actually answer your question, I think it's worth it to farm 3*s.    At least until you get to 300 roster slots.    Then I don't know. 

But I suck at the game, so my advice is suspect, at best.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I have

8x 1* (1 of each)

44x 2* (2 sets of max champs and 1 set collecting covers to flip; except Bag-Man who has 4 max champs and one collecting covers)

166x 3* (2 sets of max champs (25 characters have 3 sets)1 set collecting covers) - goal is 3 maxed and one for farming for all of them

113x 4* (1 of everyone except Jean, Rocket, Polaris and Hulkbuster who have dupes collecting covers; all but Silk and Beast champed)

53x 5* (all but the most recent three champed, Cyke still not rostered)

384 total. Clearly I’m Pro-farming and an MPQ hoarder. 

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    derrickn said:
    Punter1 said:

You have leeway, though. If you sell all your dupes, that's a lot of open slots. And if you're playing in 5* land, you really don't need them.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    At one point I was keeping the maxed champ, rostering a dupe and was planning on waiting until I had 100 saved covers to champ and max right away. That never ended up happening. So I started champ the dupes, and then when resources came up short I sold off the maxed champ.

At this point I only have a max champed character while I'm building the dupe to champ status again, once they have 13 covers and are champed I sell off the max.

Also being in 5* land now the only time I use a 3* character is when they are required, and they really don't make a difference.

The other main reason I'm doing this is the dreaded 300 roster spot increase. If I had kept a max of all of them while champing a dupe I'd be at 294 roster spots meaning in roughly 3 months time I'd spending 2000 on roster spots instead of only 1000.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 981 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The dreaded 300 roster spot increase? Really? What's your HP stash at the moment? Surely, twice as much isn't appealing, but at your point in the game it shouldn't be a big problem. But that's just my 2 cents (or 1 cent under 300  :) )
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Loosie said:
    At one point I was keeping the maxed champ, rostering a dupe and was planning on waiting until I had 100 saved covers to champ and max right away. That never ended up happening. So I started champ the dupes, and then when resources came up short I sold off the maxed champ.

At this point I only have a max champed character while I'm building the dupe to champ status again, once they have 13 covers and are champed I sell off the max.

Also being in 5* land now the only time I use a 3* character is when they are required, and they really don't make a difference.

The other main reason I'm doing this is the dreaded 300 roster spot increase. If I had kept a max of all of them while champing a dupe I'd be at 294 roster spots meaning in roughly 3 months time I'd spending 2000 on roster spots instead of only 1000.
    It’s not that big of a deal tbh.  At 300 slots, you have over 100 working farms.  As long as you can keep adding levels, the reward drops more than cover the costs.  
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I still rather not spend the 2000 on a roster slot. So if I can delay it a bit by not having to hold a dupe that works for me.